Near fly away and nearly a heart attack!

Reaction score
First time out with the precious drone. After all the prep , reading and checking went to the beach this evening to try the first flight.
Did the calibration and slow green lights so ready to go. Had great flight took it easy at first then tried some altitude in GPS prob 100ft, then some down range and manoeuvreing . When battery got to 1 light I kept it close to see what happens .
Well lights went red and it started to randomly fly away! Obviously I **** one and hit rth, it luckily worked and very slowly came back, did seem as if would never come down it was that slow.
I was expecting red lights flashing and to still have control.
Anyone else had this. What strange is it was hovering about 30ft then when red lights came on it started to fly north?

Where was your home point, and did you have low battery RTH turned on, or just low battery descend and land?
Shop set it up so not sure, it same back but not all the way.
I'll have to check the settings.
Cheers

RTH and low battery RTH should go to the same place. Doesn't sound like they did.

How did you "hit rth"?

When you hit RTH, were you home?

A friend of mine flew at his house and then drove to a park without powering down.
New flyer, ended up powering off his TX and it flew home. It was sitting in his drive way when he got there.

It didn't attempt to return home first , all lights went red and it started flying away?
I then clicked that switch down and it changed colour to yellow and red I think then slowly came towards me and descended .
After reading about all these fly always I'm bit concerned about flying it never mind strapping a £400 go pro to it.

Have checked and low battery is set to home?
Only had it 5 days should I return it ??

No tide was about a mile out.
Even if rth was not correct it should of just descended ? Not fly off!
Lucky I've read about fly aways and I hit the rth switch.

How high were you flying when the quad entered the low battery failsafe? Since there is a preset height for RTH, maybe the quad will climb to the height before turning into the home direction. So what seems to be a flyaway may not really be the case here.

Just been flying around garden low with no gps and this time is descended ( all of 2ft!) when I let battery get low.

I've re checked the assists and it says at 20% low battery it will return home.
That sound right?

Ok another flight and another near miss.
Got the film footage now.
Flew it for 15mins and 1 led left, red lights on so landed it. But then it fully powered up and shot off. Nothing I did would stop rotors . Did the left stick full back but it didn't stop and powered back up? It was on ground in idle then powered itself up?
This time I clicked to atti and flew it back to me.

RTH and low battery RTH should go to the same place. Doesn't sound like they did.

How did you "hit rth"?

When you hit RTH, were you home?

A friend of mine flew at his house and then drove to a park without powering down.
New flyer, ended up powering off his TX and it flew home. It was sitting in his drive way when he got there.
Not on my P2V, RTH does just that, low battery will just descend and land where ever it is when it hits 10%, I do have a little control, enough to slide it from over a small pond or rock (providing it is in sight).
I heard of a guy to powered his up in the driveway as a test, then took it inside to do something, set it on the floor and then tossed the controller on a chair. He said the battery must have lost contact because it went into RTH and started bouncing off the ceiling trying to get back to the driveway. Said it was quit exciting for a minute or so.

Not on my P2V, RTH does just that, low battery will just descend and land where ever it is when it hits 10%, I do have a little control, enough to slide it from over a small pond or rock (providing it is in sight).
I heard of a guy to powered his up in the driveway as a test, then took it inside to do something, set it on the floor and then tossed the controller on a chair. He said the battery must have lost contact because it went into RTH and started bouncing off the ceiling trying to get back to the driveway. Said it was quit exciting for a minute or so.

I bet it was. In the assistant there is a check box for low battery "go home". That is what I was referring to.
Depending on where the bird is when it activates, it may or may not be a good thing.

Have checked and low battery is set to home?
Only had it 5 days should I return it ??

no you should not return it.

if you flew it down to 1 led on battery it was doing as designed at low battery threshold. many options and setting in assistant, learn them or at least know what they are.

Recommend landing and new battery at 2 leds, sucks but its better than kissing it goodbye....

There are many many things to learn about yor phantom, read, read, and re reaed.

it is a process. and it takes many flights and weeks/months and still stuff to learn

good luck and have fun flying

First time out with the precious drone. After all the prep , reading and checking went to the beach this evening to try the first flight.
Did the calibration and slow green lights so ready to go. Had great flight took it easy at first then tried some altitude in GPS prob 100ft, then some down range and manoeuvreing . When battery got to 1 light I kept it close to see what happens .
Well lights went red and it started to randomly fly away! Obviously I **** one and hit rth, it luckily worked and very slowly came back, did seem as if would never come down it was that slow.
I was expecting red lights flashing and to still have control.
Anyone else had this. What strange is it was hovering about 30ft then when red lights came on it started to fly north?

did you see the 2 groups of green flashing leds. indicating course AND home lock.. took me a while to learn the first set is not gps lock..lol

default rth is 20 m about 70 feet or so, so it will rise to that height and then SLOWLY go home if gps is lock

best bet is 50 % battery use

Ok another flight and another near miss.
Got the film footage now.
Flew it for 15mins and 1 led left, red lights on so landed it. But then it fully powered up and shot off. Nothing I did would stop rotors . Did the left stick full back but it didn't stop and powered back up? It was on ground in idle then powered itself up?
This time I clicked to atti and flew it back to me.

once you land NEVER idle

it doesn't know it has landed and anything can happen including tipping, taking off , etc.

this is known issue so when you land at least power motors off if not power off completely.

your bird is ok just learn to fly it normal first lots and lots to get familiar with ---then try the push envelope stuff. IMHO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.