ND Filter Options?

I use the Taco RC filters. I like that they screw on and need no counterweighting since they weigh the same as the stock UV filter.

For settings, I switch to manual. Then set my ISO to 100 and set my shutter speed to be 2x whichever frame rate I selected. For example, if I chose a 30fps setting, I put my shutter to 1/60. Then its just a matter of choosing whichever filter gets my EV to zero.

It seems like I use my ND8 more than any other, though everyone has their own light environment and video setting favorites.
This is an ez to understand explanation. You said that everyone has their own light environment, so this can help them find the filter that works for them. The rub is that they need a few filters first before finding the right one

Not really. You need a selection depending o the available light. I was at ND 32 today at noon. ND 16 yesterday evening. ND 8 when it was overcast the day before and no filter tonight after sunset.

The only thing you really need to know is what you need for the brightest light. For me in the southwest there are situations where I will need 32.. That means I need all of them up to 32.

Folks in California can probably get away with a set up to 16.. Good luck happy flying.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
I finally took the jump from auto mode to manual and did some testing today with my 3 filters: ND4, ND8, and ND32.. Tested using 2.7K, 30FPS.. It was a clear, bright day.
First was the ND4.. Couldn't get the shutter speed below 400FPS or so.. Didn't even bother taking off.
The ND8 let me get down to about 100FPS.. Video looked great but there was a lot of jello.
The ND32 got me down to 60FPS but was showing .07 (or something) underexposed.. Video looked great after processing and zero jello..

I think I'll need an ND16.

In this video I made it shows you how to adjust the setting on the app to know what ND filter you need. The app has been updated since this video but the technique is the same. I don't know how to describe it better in text. Disclaimer I make these ND filter kits and sell them but any filter kits will work the same way so I hope this helps some of you understand the technique better.

And here is a video of them in use showing the benefits of using ND filters.

wow, this thread exploded while I was away.
Ok... so I would probably go with polar pro
Polar Pro DJI Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced Filter P5001 B&H

Now I'm not a professional photographer and I mainly used my previous phantoms just to fly around and have fun and record some things. I never did pro pics or video edits.

Shutter speed/ISO/Framerate settings:
For snapshots - lets say a sunny day in some Long Island Vineyards, what would be the settings I would target?
For video - Same question.

One more additional question.
Do the filters matter if I take snapshots using the RAW format? I mean, if I take the pic into photoshop, can't I edit it to look like there was a filter on it?
Not in the case of a polarizing filter (PL). There are many so-called polarizing effects touted for Photoshop, but they generally just darken a blue sky which is just one of the effects of a polarizer. Additional beneficial effects from a polarizer include reduction/elimination of reflections on water, glass and vegetation. Photoshop cannot effectively do that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1