ND Filter Options?

EDIT: Rule of thumb - your frame rate should be half your shutter speed. Not iso. [emoji28] and I went with Taco RC 4 pack a while back since they screw on and don't need counter weight. I think polar pro are a great alternative.

It's been discussed repeatedly. Overall the best quality are glass filters such as polar pro and taco rc. They are expensive. These two were my favorite options because they screw on.

Some fit over the oem. Some are plastic.

What exactly are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I use the Taco RC filters. I like that they screw on and need no counterweighting since they weigh the same as the stock UV filter.

For settings, I switch to manual. Then set my ISO to 100 and set my shutter speed to be 2x whichever frame rate I selected. For example, if I chose a 30fps setting, I put my shutter to 1/60. Then its just a matter of choosing whichever filter gets my EV to zero.

It seems like I use my ND8 more than any other, though everyone has their own light environment and video setting favorites.

Last edited:
New York won't often be as bright as California though, in the UK the ND8 is rarely needed unless it's sun on snow.
Agreed. As I said, everyone has their own light environment and video setting favorites.

Where I am, the day can be cloudy one minute and then bright and sunny an hour later. When it is sunny, I use ND8 for the most pleasing (vibrant colors) result.

Reactions: Falcon900
New York won't often be as bright as California though, in the UK the ND8 is rarely needed unless it's sun on snow.
I'm often in those sun on snow conditions. ND 8 CP from SRP works for me.

It depends on where you fly. I am not sure about the light condition at day time in NY, but here in Sydney-Australia, I find the ND4 filter quite useless. I mainly use ND16 for bright sunny day and ND8 for cloudy-overcast day. BTW I have the Taco-RC set.
I'm going to second that.. It really depends on where you fly. I also have the TACO-RC set. I really like them. For me, it's the best value and completely is able to handle the brightest to the lightest days. I shoot in New Mexico and at noon I've shot ND 32 and even that was not exactly where I wanted it.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
Florida it's the ND8 as a minimum for sunny days. Remember, the effect you're looking for is another factor in choosing
your filter. Sunsets I've tried ND4, Polarized and the DJI lens, and the DJI lens worked best with a close second using a polarized.

Having an assortment just widens your ability, and creativity.

wow, this thread exploded while I was away.
Ok... so I would probably go with polar pro
Polar Pro DJI Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced Filter P5001 B&H

Now I'm not a professional photographer and I mainly used my previous phantoms just to fly around and have fun and record some things. I never did pro pics or video edits.

Shutter speed/ISO/Framerate settings:
For snapshots - lets say a sunny day in some Long Island Vineyards, what would be the settings I would target?
For video - Same question.

One more additional question.
Do the filters matter if I take snapshots using the RAW format? I mean, if I take the pic into photoshop, can't I edit it to look like there was a filter on it?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
BB is def cheaper, so that works!
And those videos helped too. Still a bit confused on shutter speed vs framerate. But I'll just do a bit more research.
It's somewhat annoying that I need to turn on the phantom, the controller and my ipad to work with the settings.

For me I have found the ND8 the most useful. The ND4 still tends to give too fast a shutter speed and jello. So use the ND4 on bright but fairly sunless days. And the ND8 the rest of time unless its really cloudy and them don't need either.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20