My video recording keeps stopping by itself

Reaction score
Ok, so I've had about 4 or 5 flights now on my P3A, and one thing I've noticed is that my video recording will not stay going the entire time. For most of the flights, I was using a 32GB card (this one). Last night, it recorded for a little over 6 minutes and then stopped on its own . . . no warning, so I didn't even realize until after I had landed.

Then tonight, it was way worse. I could barely record for a few seconds. I was using a different card (this one), however, this is the same card I use in my GoPro to record 1080 at 60 fps with no issues.

Tomorrow I will try the card that it came with, but still, these are fast cards I'm using, they should work. Any ideas?

Format the card in the pilot app maybe?

You have bought the wrong sd card,sorry.
The sandisc ultra is notorious for being sub standard and although it is said to be class 10 and good enough for HD video recording it is not.
These cards have been regularly failing when recording only 1080p so if you try to record 4K you will definately run into a failure.
Take it back and demand a full refund.

If you must use sandisc use the Extreme or Extreme plus.

Better still get a Lexar 633x,that will work with 4K.
http://au.lexar.com/microsd-633x

Also don't buy any sd cards off the internet,there are too many counterfeit cards out there to take the risk.

You have bought the wrong sd card,sorry.
The sandisc ultra is notorious for being sub standard and although it is said to be class 10 and good enough for HD video recording it is not.
These cards have been regularly failing when recording only 1080p so if you try to record 4K you will definately run into a failure.

If you must use sandisc use the Extreme or Extreme plus.

Better still get a Lexar 633x,that will work with 4K.
http://au.lexar.com/microsd-633x

Also don't buy any sd cards off the internet,there are too many counterfeit cards out there to take the risk.
Are you maybe hitting the button on the controller ?
The worst performer so far has been the Samsung card, which gets excellent ratings for 1080 recording, and I've used it many times for just that in my GoPro. And I'm pretty sure they are not counterfeit since I purchased both directly from Amazon prime.

Lou, I'm 100% certain I'm not touching the record button. I can just watch it stop recording on its own.

The only other reason I can think of why it would stop is if the camera is getting hot.....Do you hear fan spinning when phantom is on
Actually another guess....what are the file sizes? because it automatically keeps clips under 4 gb....but it should seamlessly keep recording

I have no personal experience with the samsung card but I'm very sure about the sandisc ultra and it's reputation as a bad card.
If you try any one of the cards I suggested I'm sure your problem will go away.

Last edited:

Yep sorry matey wrong card as stated.. my Gopro 3 black was a nightmare on 1080p with that card and I so I purchased the extreme version and all was good.... the video was jerky and would freeze with the ultra card

Yep sorry matey wrong card as stated.. my Gopro 3 black was a nightmare on 1080p with that card and I so I purchased the extreme version and all was good.... the video was jerky and would freeze with the ultra card

I have been using my 64GB SanDisk Ultra PLUS in my Hero3 black without an issue in 1080. Must be defective batches coming out of the factory.

Well I tried again today with the card that came with the p3. No issues with that, so the problem is either write speeds or the formatting. I'll try reformatting with the p3 sometime and see if that makes a difference.

Adding to this - second day of flying with a SanDisk Ultra 64GB and got sporadic issues when trying to record. It was ok yesterday though. Today is going to be quite hot (90 degrees F they say) so perhaps there are a couple of issues at play. I'll try reformatting before the next flight - if that doesn't work I'll put the 32GB Extreme Plus back in.

(Just in case), you have to format it in the phantom, not on your PC. But If the original one works fine, diagnostic is pretty clear. your card can't keep up. It's also a common issue with cards, when they stop recording, it's mostly because the data flow is too high for them. Personally, I use 32GB U3 Sandisk Extreme Pro. 1080p and DNG every 3sec. No issues.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Lexar HD XC sd cards. I like the 32 or 64 Gig ones. They don't wear out, work in multiple devices, and I always carry spares. Nothing worse than having video stop or no card at all!

(Just in case), you have to format it in the phantom, not on your PC. But If the original one works fine, diagnostic is pretty clear. your card can't keep up. It's also a common issue with cards, when they stop recording, it's mostly because the data flow is too high for them. Personally, I use 32GB U3 Sandisk Extreme Pro. 1080p and DNG every 3sec. No issues.

Good idea - I didn't format it before I used it - just assumed it would work. I'll try that - I have a 32GB Extreme Plus as a backup.

Ok, so I've had about 4 or 5 flights now on my P3A, and one thing I've noticed is that my video recording will not stay going the entire time. For most of the flights, I was using a 32GB card (this one). Last night, it recorded for a little over 6 minutes and then stopped on its own . . . no warning, so I didn't even realize until after I had landed.

Then tonight, it was way worse. I could barely record for a few seconds. I was using a different card (this one), however, this is the same card I use in my GoPro to record 1080 at 60 fps with no issues.

Tomorrow I will try the card that it came with, but still, these are fast cards I'm using, they should work. Any ideas?
I am having exactly the same problem but only since the last upgrade. I am using the SanDisk card but it has been fine in this P3A until the latest upgrade.

Keen to find out if you find a solution before I blindly try other cards.

I am having exactly the same problem but only since the last upgrade. I am using the SanDisk card but it has been fine in this P3A until the latest upgrade.

Keen to find out if you find a solution before I blindly try other cards.
I started recording in shorter chunks. Also got a different card. It's been doing fine since then.

Reactions: David Young
It's the card. I second or third what everyone has said. I had the same issue. Put a better card in and everything is good. For a test try to record in 4K and you will know real quick if the card you have will handle it.

I started recording in shorter chunks. Also got a different card. It's been doing fine since then.
Thanks Ryan, I'm not completely convinced on the 'it's the card' as it was working fine before the last upgrade'.

Anyway, I have re-formatted the card and intend to do a test run tonight (weather permitting). For info, my card is not the 'dreaded scandisk ultra' that everyone is talking about, it is a Kingston class 10 card.

You could possibly be out of space on the card if not get a san disk card.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic