My Phantom 4 Was Stolen! Any Suggestions???

Ah, careful what you ask for. That would mean that DJI knows (and is willing to give out) information on EVERYONE. I suspect they already have that if you synch the flight logs. There is nothing to keep them from looking at that data and in fact it is a treasure trove of marketing info. What happens when a local police department wants to check on EVERYONE's drone flights for some presumeably valid reason.

I don't sync my flights just because I don't care for DJI to know about them. YMMV, but DJI isn't a company that I would trust very far.

I'd be willing to bet that GO makes a connection to an API in China and talks all about where it's been and who it's meet at every opportunity. Someone with wire shark and more time than I have to invest could confirm or disprove that.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'd be willing to bet that GO makes a connection to an API in China and talks all about where it's been and who it's meet at every opportunity. Someone with wire shark and more time than I have to invest could confirm or disprove that.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
It's been done (of course). Look at the P3 Firmware Development board. I believe it was for the Android app but I'm sure the iOS one is right there as well.

Yackety yak. IIRC, it send lots of things to China.

I'm very happy to report to all of you that after 4 months of turning over every stone looking for clues, I've finally recovered my stolen Phantom 4. I searched several web sights on a daily basis and it has finally paid off. The thief posted an ad on offerup.com selling a Phantom 4 with no remote. That obviously peaked my interest, so I looked to see what other items he was selling and sure enough, he had posted ads for my amplifier and speakers as well. I made contact with him and learned he was 120 miles away in San Diego. He agreed to meet me in San Diego in the Gas Lamp District. Upon my arrival in San Diego, I contacted 2 Police Officers on bicycles who were very helpful. They called in several undercover detectives who happened to be in the area and they proceeded to devise a plan to recover my drone. One of the detectives pretended to be me and notified the thief he was in front of 7-11 where we agreed to meet. The thief and his accomplice were subsequently taken into custody. My Drone was held for 1 week for DNA analysis and fingerprinting. I'm now happily in possession of my drone once again.

I would like to thank all of you who posted helpful suggestions and feedback.

a.PNG
b.PNG
c.PNG
d.PNG

Great ending to a great story- A big shout out to the Police officers that helped you get your drone & from the sounds of it, your audio gear too, The fact that 2 officers on bikes, on a moments notice, just came to the rescue is just awesome, man, that is one happy ending!

I agree 100%. There were 7 undercover officers and 5 uniformed officers present
from the Central Division of the San Diego Police Department. In my opinion, these
officers went far and above what I believe any reasonable person could ever hope for. This group of officers and their sergeant did an outstanding job and I'm very grateful to them for their service. The City of San Diego should take great pride in knowing that these officers are truly America's Finest. I've written a well-deserved letter to the Chief of Police and the Mayor of San Diego commending each and every officer involved.

If DJI was on top of their game they would implement a feature where anytime anyone launches a stolen aircraft it would notify the local police of location and rightful owner info.

I would like it to lock onto the controller, use active track to identify the person holding the controller, spin up to full RPM and kamakazi in to their face, or even better, their throat...

Alternatively it could fly away to a safe but inaccessible place and start pinging its location to the owner, DJI, and the local police.

Exactly, it's really about catching them.

Congrats. Happy for you: what a great happy ending.

Sadly, My P4 was stolen from my vehicle in Rancho Cucamonga, California on May 20th. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to recover it. I've been watching ebay and craigslist on a daily basis and so far nothing has shown up.

Can you tell us how this happened?
Was it in the trunk, back/ front seat, was the car parked on the street, in your driveway, what time of the day/ night?

Do you think they were watcyhing you and knew the Phantom was in your car?
I can't imagine, people don't just break into cars hoping to hit the jackpot. Or do they?

Once they trace his online sales history this could turn out to be a good bust for the police.
No doubt he has stolen other peoples stuff.

Good detective work.

Love this story, going from insurance bashing to an actual crime thriller with the good guy winning at the end, both you and the cops did a great job, especially your detective work.

Any day dirtbags are taken off the street is a good day. I always like knowing they're not sleeping soundly in their own beds.

Reactions: cfd701
I can't wait to see the thiefs seller rating on Offerup, [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl