My personal best

7e4a2e55ec93b565a85a9ad2f4009a00.jpg

My best so far. Feels epic getting long range.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: stulpin300m
The point that DAP is trying to get you to understand, is that flying against recommended guidelines may at some point put someone in jeopardy and with all the scrutiny that the UAV community is in right now could ruin the "sport" for the rest of us.

Create one accident and the authorities have all the evidence they need right on that little sd card to nail you.

They're doing this type of stuff right now in accident reconstruction with downloading the info from your cars OBD port.

But I get it, rules don't apply to you guys. And yes the FAA considers those rules..

No, the guideline is, but what exactly does that comment add to this thread?

I had windsurfers for awhile, they made a significant difference for me with my P3A. I want to say I got to maybe 15k with them. I wasn't totally satisfied though, as it seems a bit of a clunky solution. I eventually bought the dbsmods antenna. It was a fairly easy install. You still need good line of sight, but it has extended my range significantly. Two days ago i flew to 21,200’ (just over 4 miles) and still had good video feed. I landed with 9% battery so I suspect that's about the limit for me.

The two things I think are important to beware of on very long distance flights are wind direction, I only fly into a headwind when I'm going for distance; and I definitely try to avoid dropping the connection and allowing a RTH. The reason for that is that from my testing, full throttle flight is more efficient than slower speeds, and RTH seems to clock in at about 20mph. If I had gotten an auto RTH on the flight I mentioned and had any trouble regaining the connection (I sometimes have to restart my phone if I get complete signal loss), it's quite possible the lost efficiency from flying at a slower speed may have been enough to keep me from making it back home.
What kind of tables or phone are you using?

So as far as you are concerned, you are saying, to EVERYONE here, that there are NO LAWS at all for flying a UAS. There are only guidelines which you understand to be just a suggestion from the FAA. This is your experienced message to all who are trying to learn. Just go out and fly any way you like and just have fun. And I am the one who doesn't get it. One question then. What is the purpose of a Section 333? Why would anyone need one IF there are no laws? If it's all just a suggestion, and the FAA has no power, no police, why bother? Why would anyone need an exemption from a suggestion? Just go fly and do whatever you want. How did the FAA take people to court, over all these years, and fine them for infractions from suggestions? Please teach me all about your extensive knowledge of the FAA and the FAR's and how they have no power, no police. How did all those people get caught breaking the "guidelines"?
I have a question , I fly in the mountains around Phoenix area ( 10 miles from any city). When I take off I'll raise it to 125 feet ( way under 400) and fly it west. Now the land to the west of me is lower so I would say I'm now flying over 400 feet. Am I breaking the law even though I'm showing 125 feet on my controller. Guidelines not laws. Same as speed limit 75mph You can get a ticket for going 50 if the traffic is heavy.

Let me get this straight the latest firmware kicks RTH in when it knows you are low on battery and can barely make it back to the start point?

I'd like to ask you long distance fellas something. When you go out to test for long range, are you setting a waypoint out to the distance you would like to achieve or are you all manually flying out to these distances. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Reactions: Tkeefe
I'd like to ask you long distance fellas something. When you go out to test for long range, are you setting a waypoint out to the distance you would like to achieve or are you all manually flying out to these distances. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Manually. Go against the wind so I have a tailwind back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me get this straight the latest firmware kicks RTH in when it knows you are low on battery and can barely make it back to the start point?
I think in the app you can set it to RTH or just land. Now ( happen to me yesterday) If you drop below 10% battery it lands. You still have a little control. After a 40k flight and wind I made it back and landed about 60 feet from takeoff point with 6%. was not my plan fighting cross winds really ate at the battery.

Hello Abbottts, When I do my long flights I Just flight and watch the battery and which way the wind is going. to date my longest is a little over 14k. I keep trying to pass it but something happens. yesterday was winds.

3.67 miles. No mods. Lost video signal and hit return to home. Don't think I could have gone much further and still make it back. Very happy with this flight!

Attachments

• 1457932430992.jpg
    1457932430992.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 190
Nice MC13 . I've not been able to break the 3 mile mark yet. I know allot of people are on both side on this. Where I fly is zero building and or persons. I know not everyone has that option. I'm trying a new place out in the desert east of Phoenix.

Reactions: MC13
Reset my personal best last week.. stock P3P, stock battery. windsurfers only. 3.1 miles out and 8.1 miles round trip. I routinely get 19 and 20 min flights from my batts. Love this thing, no real desire to go for the P4

Last edited:
Reactions: mikecorn1
You did better then I on a battery. I got 7.4 miles and landed with 6% left but I did have some winds that was not helping.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl