MY perfect setup....

Reaction score
Almosy perfect. I can't find a black parabolic reflectors.

Ipad 10.5 with current OS 11 with latest DJI GO 4. I don't use Ipad exclusively for DJI GO app. I have 512 GB of storage and should be plenty to load and view video clips on the road. It has 4MB of ram so I dont have to keep clearing previous apps. I have not used the full brightness of the screen yet. It is currently set below 50%. I can read flight information with previous flights under the sun. In all fairness though I only glance at screen for flight information. I dont even know if I have live video feed problems. My video caches look OK though. I dont know how to fly it using my screen view yet. Old school from trying to learn to fly on helis. I will get a chance to fly it using the live video feed when I go abroad. Too many flight restrictions where I live. A few more accessories and this bird is ready for a trip! 20171205_061241.jpg
20171205_061241.jpg

Are you suggesting the reflector needs to be a wavelength behind the dipole? It doesn’t. The reflector is non resonant- this is why parabolic antenna systems can be operated over a wide frequency range by simply changing the driven element.

I am saying that effective reflectors need to have dimensions much larger than the wavelength.

I am afraid not. Look at the size of the satellite dish for 12-14 Ghz transmission.

What kinda "reflectors" you need to carry around with the DJI remote? :D

View attachment 91851
Yeah, but the 5" for the 2.4ghz certainly the reflector would be too small, but 5.8ghz is half the size, right? So, maybe 2.1" for full wave, seems like the mirror should work, would be interesting to do a test.:) I will try to do it, but I have never needed the mirrors honestly.

Maybe some who have had great success with windsurfers night post an image or two to support the “afraid so” reality.

The wavelength of visible light is somewhere around 500nm (I haven’t checked for a while but that’s close enough for the purpose of this discussion). The reflectors in car driving lights and flashlights seem to work remarkably well. That is the principal we are dealing with here. It is the shape of the reflector which is important, not the distance from the feed horn (your image) or dipole (phantom RC) that is critical to operation. Yes of course larger reflectors may provide higher gain/directivity.

This is the one we use in West Virginia. A football field can fit inside it. It's the largest movable telescope in the world.The town around it can't use cell phone.

images (1).jpg

I bet I could fly my P4 to the moon with this! lol I know no air. Well maybe back to China.

Last edited:
Reactions: OOO
Nice setup! You can always mask the reflector and spay paint the outside, some paint for plastics really work well, just clean with alcohol first. And Yes parabolic reflectors work! it's not a night and day situation but they do help as long as you keep aiming them at your craft.

Nice setup! You can always mask the reflector and spay paint the outside, some paint for plastics really work well, just clean with alcohol first. And Yes parabolic reflectors work! it's not a night and day situation but they do help as long as you keep aiming them at your craft.
Thanks. I will try it when I get a chance.

Almosy perfect. I can't find a black parabolic reflectors.

Ipad 10.5 with current OS 11 with latest DJI GO 4. I don't use Ipad exclusively for DJI GO app. I have 512 GB of storage and should be plenty to load and view video clips on the road. It has 4MB of ram so I dont have to keep clearing previous apps. I have not used the full brightness of the screen yet. It is currently set below 50%. I can read flight information with previous flights under the sun. In all fairness though I only glance at screen for flight information. I dont even know if I have live video feed problems. My video caches look OK though. I dont know how to fly it using my screen view yet. Old school from trying to learn to fly on helis. I will get a chance to fly it using the live video feed when I go abroad. Too many flight restrictions where I live. A few more accessories and this bird is ready for a trip!View attachment 91828
View attachment 91828

Hi, please see this video :)
I have a fantastic mod to the p4a plus.

Huge xr antenna from maxxuav.eu
And self made 2x 4000 mah batteries on the side :)
Let me know what you think :)
/Michael

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Cool Michael. Keep on modding eventhough you did nok reach 50 mins

I am sure when it gets warmer here I will get more minutes :)
I have the problem that the 2x 4000 mah is too heavy in compared to the weight, so the craft uses too much power to lift the extra weight, also it is too heavy on the bottom making the craft having problems in sport mode, it simply cannot tilt enough :)
Will tryout 2x 2400 mah once and install them on top of the battery wings, thet will give more I think :)

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I am sure when it gets warmer here I will get more minutes

Nice job on the mods Michael - and great video for discussion.

I would agree when the outside temps warm up you should see longer battery life (probably not a lot however with the extra weight).

Of note - carrying the extra weight definitely results in increased load on the Phantom motors along with increased temps on the windings.

My biggest concern with flying longer, and if you are pushing it to full speed or fighting any wind would be with over heating the ESC!

Will tryout 2x 2400 mah once and install them on top of the battery wings, thet will give more I think

That might be a better idea - probably end up with around the same flight time in your video - however it would likely be a lot less strain on your Phantom!

When you increase the weight of the Phantom then your batteries must supply more amps -- by having to do that, it will result in less life (flying time) than what you calculate.

Keep in mind that "Ah" is a measure of “current capacity”and not “energy capacity”.

Not unusual to find different batteries with the same "Ah" that will have a completely different amount of total energy.

Anyway - as noted you did a nice job with your Phantom - and it looks like you truly enjoy the hobby.

Keep on flying safe and thank you for posting your video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl