My p4p+ is dead on arrival?

Reaction score
I'm new. I've been charging over 10 hrs, both remote and the battery. I cannot turn it on. I read the manual over and over. Please help.

I'm new. I've been charging over 10 hrs, both remote and the battery. I cannot turn it on. I read the manual over and over. Please help.
Are you doing the double press (press, release, press and hold) to power them on?

Reactions: 3rdof5
The booklet doesn't say that anywhere.
Here are snippets from the online manual which may help.

Drive_20190222_224743~2.png

Drive_20190222_225132~2.png

Last edited:
That reminded me of my first flight with the Mavic 2. I was flying around doing figure 8's, learning the basics. I then realized that I had know idea how shut it off. Battery is running low, panic ensued and I called my son who is still laughing till this day.

Reactions: Oso and 3rdof5
Out of curiosity I pulled out the quick start manual from my P3P to see if it actually says how to turn the unit on and it does in the section about preparing for flight but oddly it does not say that the same procedure is used to turn it off. It does say on battery itself how to turn it on and off. I had to chuckle abit when i read this thread. Easy mistake to make, especially with a new bird sitting in front of you and you are excited to fly. We all know that feeling :)

Reactions: Frylikeabird
Ha, ha, I remember when I got my P4, I yanked it out of the box, and after charging I ran outside to fly it; only to be stumped over trying to turn it on for about 15-minutes...LOL...
Ok another problem (its me I know) what does yellow mean where it says ready to go? Ok here is my story. I'm new. I only updated the firmware on the controller built in screen but not the drone because when I plugged it in it says I won't be able to fly no more than 30meters unless I'm connected to DJI server! So NO update the craft. I have only fly up and down in side my house because I'm afraid to crash my baby drone. I just bought it for $1100.00 (other said I'm lying) long story.

Attachments

• 15509581529646443638169436691126.jpg
    15509581529646443638169436691126.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 309
I only updated the firmware on the controller built in screen but not the drone because when I plugged it in it says I won't be able to fly no more than 30meters unless I'm connected to DJI server! So NO update the craft.
You misunderstood the message.
You only have to connect to the DJI server to sign into your DJI account after the update.
After that you can fly all you like without any connection to DJI.
have only fly up and down in side my house because I'm afraid to crash my baby drone.
Flying inside is not something I'd recommend for a new flyer.
Get outside in a large, open area, well away from buildings, trees or anything else you could hit.

Ok another problem (its me I know) what does yellow mean where it says ready to go? Ok here is my story. I'm new. I only updated the firmware on the controller built in screen but not the drone because when I plugged it in it says I won't be able to fly no more than 30meters unless I'm connected to DJI server! So NO update the craft. I have only fly up and down in side my house because I'm afraid to crash my baby drone. I just bought it for $1100.00 (other said I'm lying) long story.
I think you have to register the drone and take a little test before you can fly; might be set in beginner mode as well. I dont no if mine sat in a warehouse for several years or what, but it flew like crap out the box. It was spitting out error after error, and constantly shifting into ATTI mode. I spent about 3-days reading forum post, and completely updating and recalibrating the entire system. Once that was all completed; it shot into the air and flew like a little Cadillac. I think they also get banged around in shipping too.. So it's best to just spend time reading the manual and update/recalibrat the entire system. Then you will be good to go.

Been flying this thing all day out in a farm. A new problem. It drifts to the right. I calibrated and still does. Also the sensor does work on a white wall. It bumps into it. I tested out few times it just drift and bumped into the barn wall. Good thing i got propeller guards

Reactions: 3rdof5

Yellow means it is not in GPS mode. Probably because you are indoor and the reception is not good. It will turn to atti mode, which is not easy to fly. If you go outdoor, it should turn green to GPS mode and you are ready to fly.

Yellow means it is not in GPS mode. Probably because you are indoor and the reception is not good. It will turn to atti mode, which is not easy to fly. If you go outdoor, it should turn green to GPS mode and you are ready to fly.
Thanks. It is still drifting. I updated both controller and the drone and it's still is drifting toward the right. When it drifts it doesn't seem to see what is flying to, the sensor system doesn't kick in and I have to manually steer the drone away. I calibrated based on DJI YouTube tutorial. Please help.

I think it will drift if it’s in ATTI mode and there’s the slightest breath of wind. You’ll need to check which mode you’re in, and see the manual for instructions on how to change it.

I know others have alluded to it earlier in this thread, however I will say it again in my own blunt way (I have Asperger’s so I tend to be a bit brutally to-the-point sometimes, so please be aware this is not targeted at you personally or a criticism in anyway).

You haven’t bought a cheap, plasticky drone toy specifically for 8+ year olds. You’ve bought yourself a most fantastic, highly complex machine with cutting edge technology. On top of that you also have an amazing photographic and videographical camera system, with a highly capable gimbal.
I’m a pro photographer, more used to Nikon digital SLRs like the D500, so I waited to buy my first drone until one came along with the camera tech I thought would do what I wanted (the “Plus”). My brother-in-law has a standard P4 and it is great, but I thought I would like to have a better camera. In retrospect, I was so totally delighted by the P4P+ the P4 would probably have been fine. I had no idea that what I was buying was so totally incredible).

I cannot recommend enough reading the manual over and over. Some people say three times. I personally am on about six now (I had a 9 month break, where I didn’t fly as I was moving country, and I promptly forgot everything important).

There are some great tutorial videos on YouTube. Tony Northrop did a great beginners tutorial (about an hour and a half long) for the P4P+:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And there’s a collection of tutorials that DJI have done too: Phantom 4 Pro Tutorials - YouTube

It’s well worth having these linked on your phone, and, once you’ve competed all the PC connected tasks, updates and registration etc., and the various calibrations, to then take yourself, a flask of tea/coffee, with your drone, and phone and spare batteries if you have them (I saved up and ordered another 3, one at a time), somewhere quiet where you can take time following the tutorials, reading the manual, having a cuppa, and getting yourself to the point where the controls are totally second nature to you. This way, when something does start to go slightly wrong, which it will, more than once, you won’t panic, and you won’t enter the opposite stick commands to those that you otherwise mean to use. That way you won’t make any bad situation worse.

I realise that this may seem boring and long winded, especially when you’ve just got your shiny new toy, however doing this will hugely amplify your enjoyment later on. It’s also better NOT to invite your mates, or family members along with you, unless they are experienced high-end drone pilots. Mates will get bored and end up trying to egg you on into doing something you won’t be comfortable with. You won’t learn as much, and could well end up damaging your new drone by hitting something.

I’d also recommend you get hold of DroneDeploy, Drone Assist and AirMap apps (whichever is applicable to where you live). They are excellent for giving you information about where you can fly and what the various flying (and restricted) zones look like. I know that DJI Go has this information as well, but I find it really good to have a second source of information.

Oh yes, and I’d do all of this, and get totally comfortable with everything concerning the flying side of things, before you start to worry about how to take photos and shooting videos. I still haven’t got to that point after having my drone 18 months even though photography is one of the main reasons I bought my drone. If you don’t have a photographic background you will find it useful to find some YouTube videos that teach you photography basics, as the camera on the P4P+ is exceptional. It is far more capable than a point and click, though you can set it to use it like that if you want to.

I am just about to start totally relearning all this again, even though I am so tempted not to, because I know in my heart of hearts that I really have forgotten far too much since the beginning of last year, when I was last flying regularly.

Good luck with everything. You really have l picked a fantastic drone model (I have the plus as well). They are so very complex, and so very capable, and so much fun.

Reactions: Frylikeabird
I think it will drift if it’s in ATTI mode and there’s the slightest breath of wind. You’ll need to check which mode you’re in, and see the manual for instructions on how to change it.

I know others have alluded to it earlier in this thread, however I will say it again in my own blunt way (I have Asperger’s so I tend to be a bit brutally to-the-point sometimes, so please be aware this is not targeted at you personally or a criticism in anyway).

You haven’t bought a cheap, plasticky drone toy specifically for 8+ year olds. You’ve bought yourself a most fantastic, highly complex machine with cutting edge technology. On top of that you also have an amazing photographic and videographical camera system, with a highly capable gimbal.
I’m a pro photographer, more used to Nikon digital SLRs like the D500, so I waited to buy my first drone until one came along with the camera tech I thought would do what I wanted (the “Plus”). My brother-in-law has a standard P4 and it is great, but I thought I would like to have a better camera. In retrospect, I was so totally delighted by the P4P+ the P4 would probably have been fine. I had no idea that what I was buying was so totally incredible).

I cannot recommend enough reading the manual over and over. Some people say three times. I personally am on about six now (I had a 9 month break, where I didn’t fly as I was moving country, and I promptly forgot everything important).

There are some great tutorial videos on YouTube. Tony Northrop did a great beginners tutorial (about an hour and a half long) for the P4P+:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And there’s a collection of tutorials that DJI have done too: Phantom 4 Pro Tutorials - YouTube

It’s well worth having these linked on your phone, and, once you’ve competed all the PC connected tasks, updates and registration etc., and the various calibrations, to then take yourself, a flask of tea/coffee, with your drone, and phone and spare batteries if you have them (I saved up and ordered another 3, one at a time), somewhere quiet where you can take time following the tutorials, reading the manual, having a cuppa, and getting yourself to the point where the controls are totally second nature to you. This way, when something does start to go slightly wrong, which it will, more than once, you won’t panic, and you won’t enter the opposite stick commands to those that you otherwise mean to use. That way you won’t make any bad situation worse.

I realise that this may seem boring and long winded, especially when you’ve just got your shiny new toy, however doing this will hugely amplify your enjoyment later on. It’s also better NOT to invite your mates, or family members along with you, unless they are experienced high-end drone pilots. Mates will get bored and end up trying to egg you on into doing something you won’t be comfortable with. You won’t learn as much, and could well end up damaging your new drone by hitting something.

I’d also recommend you get hold of DroneDeploy, Drone Assist and AirMap apps (whichever is applicable to where you live). They are excellent for giving you information about where you can fly and what the various flying (and restricted) zones look like. I know that DJI Go has this information as well, but I find it really good to have a second source of information.

Oh yes, and I’d do all of this, and get totally comfortable with everything concerning the flying side of things, before you start to worry about how to take photos and shooting videos. I still haven’t got to that point after having my drone 18 months even though photography is one of the main reasons I bought my drone. If you don’t have a photographic background you will find it useful to find some YouTube videos that teach you photography basics, as the camera on the P4P+ is exceptional. It is far more capable than a point and click, though you can set it to use it like that if you want to.

I am just about to start totally relearning all this again, even though I am so tempted not to, because I know in my heart of hearts that I really have forgotten far too much since the beginning of last year, when I was last flying regularly.

Good luck with everything. You really have l picked a fantastic drone model (I have the plus as well). They are so very complex, and so very capable, and so much fun.
I agree on what you said and thank you. As big as DJI I wish the booklets and manuals are through and full. All was included was a quick start guide. I'll be frank here, I can fly and my first drone was a Hubsan. DJI is not consistent and through with their softwares. I just found out few days ago I can't install 3rd party app for land mapping. There is a model for that but its 7grand same controller as the Plus. If they're giving us a builtin screen controller why can't they give us 3rd party like other Pro models? There are 2 usb ports one regular and 1 mini which is a head scratcher. The one and off procedure is ridiculously not written on the quickbstart guide or whatever you call it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan