My P3A takes too long to boot up

Reaction score
Lately, when I first power on my P3A, the lights flash red/green/yellow which means it is in the start up mode and self diagnostic mode. The only problem is that it takes about 90 seconds to finish this and before it can be linked to the controller and flown. I don't think it ever used to take this long. Anybody got any ideas as to why it takes so long and how to fix it?

The avionics need to warm up to the same or higher temperature than it was calibrated at. If you calibrated it in 75 degF weather then later turn it on when its 55 degF, it needs to wait until the avionics heat up to 75degF before it completes its start-up sequence.

I solve this by putting the drone in the refrigerator for 30 minutes prior to running a full calibration on it. Then when powering up the drone normally, its quick to reach a temperature higher than it was calibrated at. You could confirm this without calibrating by measuring startup times when its cool and when its placed in a warm area for a while first.

As stated a cold IMU calibration needs to be done. Make sure when doing this calibration the drone is accurately level on a bubble leveled surface.

I have a nice level spot (used a carpenter's level to confirm) spot in my basement. Usually several degrees cooler than the house and vert stable which the imu likes. Ivan down to near 0C, doesn't take long for the bird to come up and be ready to fly.

The avionics need to warm up to the same or higher temperature than it was calibrated at. If you calibrated it in 75 degF weather then later turn it on when its 55 degF, it needs to wait until the avionics heat up to 75degF before it completes its start-up sequence.

I solve this by putting the drone in the refrigerator for 30 minutes prior to running a full calibration on it. Then when powering up the drone normally, its quick to reach a temperature higher than it was calibrated at. You could confirm this without calibrating by measuring startup times when its cool and when its placed in a warm area for a while first.
Thank you for the (well written) reply...and you must be right. I got up this morning and it was 60 degrees outside so I put the drone on the porch for about 30 minutes. Then brought it inside and calibrated the IMU (which I had never done in the year I've owned it). I didn't get a chance to fly it today but when I bench tested it later on the kitchen table, it booted up in about 15 seconds! Thanks again for the help!

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj