My P3A flew away and crashed into trees???

Reaction score
Newbie at best here, wanted to try out the follow me mode, worked the first time, second time few minutes later, the drone made a flight at full tilt to god knows where. I saw it hit some trees a couple of hundred meters away, don't know why it headed in that direction? Looked at the files and the compass became erratic only when it hit the trees as far as I can tell. Here's the flight log.
Hope I posted this in the right section, forgive me if not.
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Follow me should be used with extreme caution as well as tracking mode. Always be ready to switch to P mode if it begins to misbehave.

Last edited:
Extreme caution meaning I shouldn't use it? I must admit I was almost under the drone when I activated follow me mode. Could that have activated the bizarre behavior you think? What do you think would cause the bird to go into a random direction?

I have used it, but it is not to be fully trusted without knowing what to do if something like this happens. Always switch to P toggle mode if it starts to fly away. Being directly under it doesn't seem to be a issue. What was the follow me GPS accuracy set to? Were you using litchi magic leash? What display device used? Cell tower to device signal? Local wifi interferance?
Here are my flights using follow:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looking at the KML file in google earth you are in Canada. What was the temp.? You were in a baseball field and I cant see any close things that would be a issue.

The only thing I see issue with is it was below 50% battery power, had plenty of satellites.Latest drone side firmware dealing with cold weather battery management?

Follow me tracks the GPS in your device and device GPS can get wonky at times, I've seen my location on say google maps etc all of a sudden jump to a new location many many feet away and after a few seconds it pops back to where I'm at on the map. If the device GPS does this in the middle of follow me mode your quad is going to take off to the new location it thinks your device is at and hitting anything in the way. I've concluded that is a high likelyhood for alot of flyaway stories we hear. I would never use such a sketchy feature unless I eas in a very open space and quad had decent altitude and my finger was on toggle switch to throw it out of f mode at first sign of misbehavior.

I tried it when I first go my Standard .I had it positioned to the left and behind a 4x4 with my son standing on the Hilux tray to watch it .
What we didn't realize is that when you swing around and drive the other direction the drone is on the wrong side and has to make (in our case) a full speed correction to get to where it thinks it has to be . In doing this it dropped about 10m and my son had to take cover . Luckily it was in wide open pasture so no obstacles except us.
I don't use follow me any more.

Reactions: GhostRdrTat
I tried it when I first go my Standard .I had it positioned to the left and behind a 4x4 with my son standing on the Hilux tray to watch it .
What we didn't realize is that when you swing around and drive the other direction the drone is on the wrong side and has to make (in our case) a full speed correction to get to where it thinks it has to be . In doing this it dropped about 10m and my son had to take cover . Luckily it was in wide open pasture so no obstacles except us.
I don't use follow me any more.
Yeah you see many many stories like that, it is a very sketchy feature at best lol I saw a YouTube video just yesterday where a guy was explaining the litchi app and it's features and during tracking or follow me can't remember which the guy nearly got a haircut as drone shot at him and dove in altitude lol then a bit later he tried to get it to work better for the video again and it happened a second time smh cool features in concept but just too wonky IMO. Thank God your son is fine

Thanks all for your comments/ experiences. I'm going to cool it for awhile and just continue to learn more of the basics, as from what I've been reading, I've got a lot to learn about this hobby and what info there is available within the app. BTW, I was using the DJI Go app.
tks again.
And yes, I'm in Canada, northwestern Quebec. Temp was about 6c if my memory serves me right.
MM

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31