My new phantom 4 a frustrating process

Reaction score
Finally saved enough after a loooong time of saving and placed my order for a new phantom 4 from BH photo/video last Thursday. I couldn't wait any longer so I paid for next day air shipping. The next day I waited by the door (requires signature) all day. It was supposed to have been delivered by 11pm......didn't happen Saturday comes and goes, no package. So I call Sunday and they say it didn't get out on time to make the truck for next day air. They refunded my next day air and assured me it would arrive Monday. So today I get a break from work and run to the post office and it here! I'm so excited I go straight home to charge it up. Battery won't light up at all. I plug it in to the charger and ......nothing. Apparently I have a bad battery and need to send it back to dji and wait for them to send me a new one. This is frustrating to say the least. I went online and purchased a spare battery because I have no idea how long dji will take. now the wait continues until my spare battery comes in the mail. Let's hope this one works.

Finally saved enough after a loooong time of saving and placed my order for a new phantom 4 from BH photo/video last Thursday. I couldn't wait any longer so I paid for next day air shipping. The next day I waited by the door (requires signature) all day. It was supposed to have been delivered by 11pm......didn't happen Saturday comes and goes, no package. So I call Sunday and they say it didn't get out on time to make the truck for next day air. They refunded my next day air and assured me it would arrive Monday. So today I get a break from work and run to the post office and it here! I'm so excited I go straight home to charge it up. Battery won't light up at all. I plug it in to the charger and ......nothing. Apparently I have a bad battery and need to send it back to dji and wait for them to send me a new one. This is frustrating to say the least. I went online and purchased a spare battery because I have no idea how long dji will take. now the wait continues until my spare battery comes in the mail. Let's hope this one works.

May sound like a dumb question...
You tried the battery in the aircraft?
If it's fully charged it won't come on when you plug it up. 96%-100% it registers as full (for me)

Reactions: Suhail78
It's probably the battery.. While it won't show lights when plugged in to the charger if it's fully charged, it should light up to show the charge state when you press the button.

I bought a spare battery from the local Apple store a few weeks back. It was dead. No lights would come on when in the charger or when you pushed the button. It would not power up the drone and wouldn't charge even when plugged in to the charger for a full day.

I guess a few slip by the quality control department.

I understand the OP's frustration. I have no patience waiting for 'toys'. :)

You will probably want more than two batteries eventually anyway.

If it's fully charged it won't come on when you plug it up. 96%-100% it registers as full (for me)

One need only press the button to see the level of charge. There is no need to mount it in the bird.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Sky Architect

I have never received a new battery that was fully charged, as a matter of fact I would think DJI would only charge them 50% initially then let the buyer fully charge it. It seems lately there have been a batch of bad batteries coming out.

My Inspire 1 v2 came with a dead battery. Thankfully, I had purchased a second battery. My LHS where I purchased from replaced the bad battery....

Well think of it this way. It will give you more time to go over the manuals and videos so you'll be VERY well prepared when you get in the air.

This is interesting, considering these compartativly small batteries are much more expensive to buy than a BIG automobile battery, yes I know the auto is lead/acid and cheaper, but this tech has advance very far in the last decade or so why the inflated cost, I suppose because there is no alternative for the consumer? Hmmm?

Reactions: BillyP13
I tried everything believe me. What I thought was interesting is they didn't even try to trouble shoot. They just sent me a shipping label and said ship it to them and they will send a replacement. I also explained that I paid for next day shipping and they agreed to ship the new battery next day air because of the inconvenience.

I would have bought one locally at Best Buy or an Apple store so I didn't have to wait, then gone back the next day with the receipt and try to swap the bad battery for a good one, hoping they don't check the serial number. But that's just me. DJI will have to exchange it, regardless.

This is interesting, considering these compartativly small batteries are much more expensive to buy than a BIG automobile battery, yes I know the auto is lead/acid and cheaper, but this tech has advance very far in the last decade or so why the inflated cost, I suppose because there is no alternative for the consumer? Hmmm?
Why do printer cartridges cost so much? They have us over a barrel, particularily now that they disable aftermarket options with firmware and app updates.

Whatever you do, please DO NOT READ the instruction manual. Just turn it on and have fun flying. Away.

I would have bought one locally at Best Buy or an Apple store so I didn't have to wait, then gone back the next day with the receipt and try to swap the bad battery for a good one, hoping they don't check the serial number. But that's just me. DJI will have to exchange it, regardless.

While I find your actions deplorable, I can neither confirm nor deny that I have ever utilized the same practice with other products. ;) And, as you stated, invariably it will be DJI who replaces the battery in either case...
~Joey

I ordered P4 with 2 extra batteries. The one from the P4 was good, but the extras were both DOA. Sent them back. This seems to be a recurring problem at DJI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20