my first "omf" experience with my p3s

Reaction score
decided to try course lock tonight......all was good , or seemed good until i came in for a landing, the bird went into atti mode which has happened a couple of times before and i have just landed it instead of hand catching. this time when it went into atti.......it started doing something i have only read about........the dreaded toilet bowling. glad i did some atti practicing as i take off and land in a confined space.......no crash, but what a handfull it was to avoid house, cars ,shed and trees. any thoughts on why this happened after so many pleasant flights ? did course lock cause the issue ? my confidence in the bird just went from a 9.9 out of ten.......to a 2 !

decided to try course lock tonight......all was good , or seemed good until i came in for a landing, the bird went into atti mode which has happened a couple of times before and i have just landed it instead of hand catching. this time when it went into atti.......it started doing something i have only read about........the dreaded toilet bowling. glad i did some atti practicing as i take off and land in a confined space.......no crash, but what a handfull it was to avoid house, cars ,shed and trees. any thoughts on why this happened after so many pleasant flights ? did course lock cause the issue ? my confidence in the bird just went from a 9.9 out of ten.......to a 2 !
It won't have anything to do with course lock.
It's not normal for the Phantom to lose GPS unless you bring it into an area where it's sky view is blocked or there are compass/magnetic issues.
The slow swirling hints at a compass issue.
Looking at flight data might help.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides

didnt have a chance to figure out the flight record upload, but did get brave and flew again tonight, kept it close and it behaved perfectly. will post the log from the " bad" flight asap .

I hadn't heard it called that before, but I had the same problem once. When it took off it went up about 15 feet then lost all vertical stability. In other words, it fell like a rock. I had enough reflexes to hit the stick up and it only did minor damage when it hit the ground. Then it bounced back up. Now I was flying a bird with no GPS and no vertical stability. I was next to a lake. I flew over the lake but was able to maintain control and land in a field. The landing was hard because I basically had to give it enough juice to stay in the air but let off enough to let it land. I have since practiced a lot in atti mode. Can't practice not having any vertical control. Never had it happen since.

It won't have anything to do with course lock.
It's not normal for the Phantom to lose GPS unless you bring it into an area where it's sky view is blocked or there are compass/magnetic issues.
The slow swirling hints at a compass issue.
Looking at flight data might help.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides

well , i looked into the flight log upload, and it appears to be well beyond my computer skills ! i did playback the flight in the go app and just before the toilet bowling started i had a couple of " gps positioning off" warnings , followed by a couple of compass error warnings during the scary part of the flight. have never had either of those warnings that i noticed before......just compass stuck warnings six months ago. always flying from the exact same take off point.

well , i looked into the flight log upload, and it appears to be well beyond my computer skills ! i did playback the flight in the go app and just before the toilet bowling started i had a couple of " gps positioning off" warnings , followed by a couple of compass error warnings during the scary part of the flight. have never had either of those warnings that i noticed before......just compass stuck warnings six months ago. always flying from the exact same take off point.
It's not beyond your abilities - anyone can do it and it takes 2 minutes and is worthwhile if you want to learn from the experience and know what the problem was..
The instructions are on the website.
Toilet bowl effect can be caused either by a bad compass calibration - one done close to a lot of steel or reinforced concrete (which is half steel) or ...
You will also see it if you bring a Phantom down close to a lot of steel like a few feet over a steel roof.
This will set off a compass error which causes the Phantom to ignore GPS data because it can't deal with the conflicting data and then your Phantom is in atti mode.
If the cause was the second one, climbing out of the magnetic influence would have fixed it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.