Compass error after firmware upgrade

Reaction score
I drowned my P3P the other day, so bought a replacement. Although second hand, in very good nick, and low hours. On first turning on, the app suggested a firmware upgrade, so I did that (from 1.10.90 to 1.11.20), and also the controller to 1.9.3. Also calibrated the IMU and reset the gimbal. Installed both batteries, and updated them. First flight, calibrated the compass OK, but aircraft was unstable on hover, got worse and erratic, then the dreaded "Compass Error" message appeared on my screen, and it went into ATTI mode. Tried recalibrating the IMU and the compass several times, but same result. Symptoms now are: calibrate compass appears to be successful - get ready to fly GPS mode message. Take off, aircraft unstable in the air (toilet bowl effect). No Compass Error message at that stage. Use yaw lever to turn aircraft around, and at the 180 degree rotation mark, Compass Error message.
Is this consistent with a firmware upgrade problem? (I am happy to accept that the aircraft was flying perfectly when it was sold to me with the earlier firmware.)

You are sure you have calibrated in an are free of magnetic anomalies? Your launch point is good? I doubt the firmware update had anything to do with your problem. I had one of my P3’s sitting in a cupboard the other day, turned it in to check the settings, the cupboard is full of loudspeaker drivers with big neodymium magnets. It initialised fine and reported ready to fly GPS. I picked it up and moved it a couple of meters and it reported a compass error put it back where it was and all was good however the radar in go was depicting the heading as almost 180deg out. The point is everything can seem normal in a bad magnetic environment untill after you launch.

Reactions: Oso
Unfortunately, tried In several locations, out in the bush, no interference. I can only assume that during Aust Post transport it came into contact with a strong magnetic source. I watched a YouTube video that I found on this site that showed how to “reset” the compass using a magnet, and although it is a bit hit ‘n’ miss, I think I’ll give that a try.

Unfortunately, tried In several locations, out in the bush, no interference. I can only assume that during Aust Post transport it came into contact with a strong magnetic source. I watched a YouTube video that I found on this site that showed how to “reset” the compass using a magnet, and although it is a bit hit ‘n’ miss, I think I’ll give that a try.
I wouldn't. It could only make things worse. Typically compass needs to be recalibrated with a FW upgrade so its no surprise its out. I would find a cool location thats perfectly level and quiet and do an IMU calibration first. Then go to a known magnetic interference free place and do the compass calibration. Then leave it alone regardless of wherr you are.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I have done all of these things - the drone is unflyiable (is that a word!?). Next step I think is replace the compass unit. I am not looking froward to opening the shell, having Googled it many times. Any advice eg. You Tube that I might have missed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I have done all of these things - the drone is unflyiable (is that a word!?). Next step I think is replace the compass unit. I am not looking froward to opening the shell, having Googled it many times. Any advice eg. You Tube that I might have missed would be greatly appreciated.
Can't help you on that one mate, havent been there done that. Good luck:)

I am not looking froward to opening the shell, having Googled it many times. Any advice eg. You Tube that I might have missed would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the video I used as a guide to open up my AC. Technique worked perfectly for me.

Thanks guys. I tried first by buying CFixer. Made absolutely no difference. So bit the bullet, and cracked the shell - not quite as scary as I expected as long as one is brave enough to exert pressure.
Installed new compass. These are my battery readings after many, many recalibrations in a proven safe spot. HELP!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0004.PNG
    IMG_0004.PNG
    342.9 KB · Views: 278
Where do you need to go? What problem do you suspect you have?
That's what I need to know. The Z reading is way out of whack - the new compass didn't fix anything. What's next? I have tried degaussing (CFixer), waving a magnet as described in many posts here, installed new compass, and still no good. If there is anything I have missed, I would like to hear about it before spending $$$ on having it looked at by a repairer. The number of authorised repairers in Australia is very limited, and they can literally charge whatever they like. This is turning out to be a very expensive hobby - drowned my first P3P, now this.

Flown it - yep. Wanders around the sky like a lost sheep. I must admit to being a bit hesitant to give it a full workout. Is the Z value acceptable as long as the MOD value is within range? Mightr be a silly question, but bear with me - I am 67, and this is all new to me.

Reactions: skymonkey
That mod value seems good- not sure about the z, I never paid much attention to it. I just dragged the old phantom out to check.

Looks like this.

F4B9F0BC-D52E-40E5-8E8E-1DF3BB6C92DB.jpeg

I live just out of Canberra, in Bywong. Definitely not in ATTI mode. Too chicken to even try that.
Those figures give me some hope. I am going to go out tomorrow to a really open, tree free field, and give it another fly. Cross your fingers for me......

Still a mystery, she should be pretty stable in GPS mode.... Make sure you give yourself a bit of height, really close to the ground can actually be less stable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik