Motors won't turn, but Assistant says calibration not needed

Reaction score
Assistant says no calibration necessary. However, motors wont turn and manual says to calibrate.

Should I calibrate anyway?

When I do the motor test, they do jump.

But the motor test was strange. are the motors supposed to just "jump" a bit when you click the motor button or should they spin up good?

When you activate the motors - yes that will increase Rpm quickly very briefly and then idle. This is programed in. Once they are idling, you have to push the left stick forward to take off.

Assistant says no calibration necessary. However, motors wont turn and manual says to calibrate.

Should I calibrate anyway?

When I do the motor test, they do jump.

But the motor test was strange. are the motors supposed to just "jump" a bit when you click the motor button or should they spin up good?
During the motor test the motors will only move a little bit. Enough to show direction.
Do you have IOC selected in the assistant. If you do, be sure you understand how this works. Many are confused about this. It's real easy to lose your bird and think you are having a fly away or loss of control..The course lock can mess you up the most. Make note of the direction your quad is pointing at start up and recording cl and hp. If not, and you set S2 to course lock, the quad may not move the direction you expect it to. . .

Reactions: JKDSensei
Thanks Monte.
IOC = headless mode correct?
If it's on, the NAZA adjusts the control inputs so that no matter which direction the Quad is facing, it moves in the direction as though you were flying it directly nose out....if this is not correct please let me know.

Course lock I know nothing about ....yet...which is why mine has not ever been flown yet.
I plan to read (and understand) as much as I possibly can before I make the first flight.

What do you mean "recording CL and HP" ?

I have a lot to learn before I take it out for my first flight :eek:

The "good news" is that I can fly a Quad manually with no aid at all. Nose in or nose out. That should help :cool:

Cl is course lock. Hl is home lock. If IOC is selected in assistant software and you power up the quad on a level surface...you should get two sets of quick green flashes. This means CL and HL are recorded.
If you take off and fly out no matter the direction and set S2 switch to lowest position which is home lock, and you pull back on right stick...the quad will fly back to takeoff point until it gets to within about 30 feet. It will then automatically change to course lock. So depending on the direction the quad was facing at start up will determine the direction it may go then when in course lock.
If you are out flying and set S2 switch to middle position, course lock and providing your quad was facing North at startup, if you pull the right stick back, the quad will fly south no matter where the quad is. It could be in front of you, to either side, or behind you. It will go south. If your quad was facing West at startup, home lock will still bring quad back to takeoff point but selecting course lock and pulling back on right stick will make the quad fly East no matter the direction it is facing. So with that being said and you started off facing west, if you were in home lock and bringing the quad home, as soon as it gets to about 30 feet away and enters course lock, it will immediately start flying east and you may think something is wrong with your controls.

Thanks Monte.
IOC = headless mode correct?
If it's on, the NAZA adjusts the control inputs so that no matter which direction the Quad is facing, it moves in the direction as though you were flying it directly nose out....if this is not correct please let me know.

I think you've got the "ON/OFF" part of it backwards.

IOC "OFF" = NAZA adjusts the control inputs so that no matter which direction the Quad is facing, it moves in the direction as though you were flying it directly nose out, (to use your words).

IOC gives you 2 "ON" choices. The choices are:

CL (Course Lock), which is the direction the aircraft is facing, and is recorded automatically 30 seconds after you power on the autopilot system. This is indicated by 20 rapid green flashes.

or

HL (Home Lock), is the home point which will be saved automatically when you start the motors for the first time after 6 or more GPS satellites have been found for 10 seconds. This is also indicated by 20 rapid green flashes.

You can find more information on pages 18-20 here:
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/nazam-v2/en/NAZA-M_Quick_Start_Guide_v1.26_en.pdf

And like Monte55 said, watch out for that change in direction when in Home Lock and you get close to home. It's totally freaked me out before. It'll just shoot off in another direction as it passes over your head...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused:

Reactions: JKDSensei
Stop Motor
: We provide two options to stop motors in the assistant software
: Immediately and Intelligent.
(1) Immediately Mode:
If you select this mode, in any control mode, once motors start and throttle stick is
over 10%, motors will not stop immediately only when throttle stick is back under 10% the motors will
stop. In this case, if you push the throttle stick over 10% within 5 seconds after motors stop,
motors will re-start, CSC is not needed. If you don’t push throttle stick after motors start in three seconds,motors will stop automatically.

(2) Intelligent Mode:
By using this mode, different control mode has different way of stopping motors. In Manual Mode, only executing CSC can stop motors. In ATTI. Mode or GPS ATTI . Mode, any one of following four cases will stop motors:
a) You don’t push throttle stick after motors start within three seconds;

b) Executing CSC;
c) Throttle stick under 10 %, and after landing for more than 3 seconds.
d) If the angle of multi-rotor is over 70°, and throttle stick under 10%.

Question about the part in bold red.
When I have my Phantom on the kitchen table and I start the motors (Intelligent Mode, GPS or ATTI mode), I notice the motors do NOT stop whether I touch the throttle stick or not. They just stay at idle. It seems like the Manual is stating they should stop automatically if I don't push the throttle stick within 3 seconds.

Am I understanding this part?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers