Phantom 2 Calibration and First Flight Suggestions

Reaction score
Bought a used (crashed) Phantom 2 and looking for help to get it back in the air again. No structural damage – previous owner said it just didn’t fly right. The gimbal would not initialize so I unplugged and removed it – I’ll tackle that later. I installed batteries in controller/drone and controller binds with drone and motors spin up (no props).
I loaded DJI RC System Assistant and checked and calibrated the R/C stick movement – everything worked fine. Loaded Phantom 2 Vision Assistant and the P2 system software is up-to-date and stick movement looks fine. I downloaded the P2 manual and read it (more than once). I opened Drone up and looked at all connections to make sure everything is connected – it is.
The Drone’s previous location was about 300 miles from me so I want to do a Compass calculation before I fly it. Compass calculation is failing (I think) because I can’t get a GPS lock on condo second floor balcony so I will try tomorrow in a wide open space.
I’m also including Vision Assistant screen shots. IMU Cal numbers are not great but I didn’t want to change too many things all at once. I clicked on the Check IMU Status button and the DJI message is ‘no calibration necessary’.
So, I’m looking for suggestions on what else I should do before taking this out for a first flight.
Thank you.
P330Z Basic settings.JPG
P330Z UpGrade Info.JPG
P330Z IMU Cal.JPG

You need to be where you can get gps signal if you're not getting green lights flashing you don't have all the satelites yet then do a compass calibration

Bought a used (crashed) Phantom 2 and looking for help to get it back in the air again. No structural damage – previous owner said it just didn’t fly right. The gimbal would not initialize so I unplugged and removed it – I’ll tackle that later. I installed batteries in controller/drone and controller binds with drone and motors spin up (no props).
I loaded DJI RC System Assistant and checked and calibrated the R/C stick movement – everything worked fine. Loaded Phantom 2 Vision Assistant and the P2 system software is up-to-date and stick movement looks fine. I downloaded the P2 manual and read it (more than once). I opened Drone up and looked at all connections to make sure everything is connected – it is.
The Drone’s previous location was about 300 miles from me so I want to do a Compass calculation before I fly it. Compass calculation is failing (I think) because I can’t get a GPS lock on condo second floor balcony so I will try tomorrow in a wide open space.
I’m also including Vision Assistant screen shots. IMU Cal numbers are not great but I didn’t want to change too many things all at once. I clicked on the Check IMU Status button and the DJI message is ‘no calibration necessary’.
So, I’m looking for suggestions on what else I should do before taking this out for a first flight.
Thank you.
View attachment 106998View attachment 106999View attachment 107000

The first thing you need to do is an advanced IMU calibration as the compass MOD is off the scales and should be between 1300 - 1600 no higher or lower. This should be done on a level surface. GPS has nothing to do with not being to get a green LED when you've completed the compass calibration and it may be due to the high compass MOD reading of 2162.5 causing the problem. If you're trying to do compass cal is not a good idea and even if you to complete the cal you will not get a GPS lock inside.

Another reason you may not be able to complete a compass cal is that the magnetic compass on the leg of the P2 is magnetized and therefore the reason for the high compass MOD number. The following video should help with that:

I did a search before my post asking for suggestions and found this DJI video. I watched it, and others. Just wanted to check and see if there was anything new to check or do. Plan to do the IMU cal that has been recommended. Thank you for responding.

I did a search before my post asking for suggestions and found this DJI video. I watched it, and others. Just wanted to check and see if there was anything new to check or do. Plan to do the IMU cal that has been recommended. Thank you for responding.

You're the one who posted in the mod thread that you gutted the P2 and mounted everything onto a Flame Wheel. So where did you mount the compass? I'd sure like to see a photo or better yet a video of this setup. Sounds to me like the real problem is with the compass and what it's mounted to.

I bought two very used, non-working Phantom 2.

First one, the owner sold because the P2 'doesn't fly right anymore'. By looking at threads from 2014 & 2015, You Tube videos, responses to my post, etc., I have that Phantom in the air again. Flew it Friday, Saturday and Sunday without problem. It is very stable and fun to fly.

The second Phantom was a 'basket case'. Owner had no idea what was wrong with it - someone gave it to him for parts. I asked the Forum for suggestions on what it would take to convert it to a Flamewheel. I wanted to make a drone for my Nephew that I could show him how all the parts come together and make a drone. And if he crashed it, I could help him identify what needed replacement and help with repairs. I have decided against the idea of a Flamewheel and will try to resurrect the P2 in its original configuration. Again, by searching and checking a post from 2014, it appears my problem is with the GPS.

I find this Forum so informative and helpful. I look forward each morning to reading the daily posts and see what I can learn today.

I bought two very used, non-working Phantom 2.

First one, the owner sold because the P2 'doesn't fly right anymore'. By looking at threads from 2014 & 2015, You Tube videos, responses to my post, etc., I have that Phantom in the air again. Flew it Friday, Saturday and Sunday without problem. It is very stable and fun to fly.

The second Phantom was a 'basket case'. Owner had no idea what was wrong with it - someone gave it to him for parts. I asked the Forum for suggestions on what it would take to convert it to a Flamewheel. I wanted to make a drone for my Nephew that I could show him how all the parts come together and make a drone. And if he crashed it, I could help him identify what needed replacement and help with repairs. I have decided against the idea of a Flamewheel and will try to resurrect the P2 in its original configuration. Again, by searching and checking a post from 2014, it appears my problem is with the GPS.

I find this Forum so informative and helpful. I look forward each morning to reading the daily posts and see what I can learn today.

The Compass MOD numbers of 2162.5 have no relationship to the GPS and are strictly a compass problem. That is why I sent you the video on how to demagnetize the compass if you cannot lower the number between 1300 - 1600 by doing the advanced IMU.

After watching that video I purposely magnetized the compass on my own P2 while connected to its software just to see how actuate the process was. Well, it wasn't easy but it does work in being the compass numbers back to normal.

I have owned my P2 since March of 2014 and have had it apart more than once to help others with one problem or another. With over 20 years repairing electronic equipment I have 95% track record of helping others put theirs back in the air,

We are talking about two different drones.

The 2162.5 MOD numbers are for the Phantom 2 shown at the beginning of this thread. I had a compass problem but I did the IMU and Compass cal out in a grassy field. Everything is good with the Phantom mentioned in this thread.

The GPS I bought is for a second Phantom 2 - the basket case - the one I was thinking of making a Flamewheel with - not the flyable one that this post is all about.

I respect your knowledge, would like to ask for help when needed and I'm very good at following instructions.

I'm sorry about the confusion I created.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4