Motor Problem

Reaction score
Hi Pilots,

I need your opinion or help in this. One of my motor if not working properly it is rotating slowly compared to the other 3 motors and there is a beep sound and the led is flashing. I capture a video of the behavior. Im planning to buy a new motor but I was thinking that it may not be the problem. So need to get an opinion first. Thank you in advance! Please note though that sometimes it is working properly and I can still able to fly it.

Here is the youtube video. (Sorry can't get the Youtube tag work)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpDtCT ... e=youtu.be

Around 9 months old. I think its version 2. Please note that sometimes it work sometimes its not. I also noticed that the propeller is tighter when I removed it compared to others.

You can quote my post here to see how the tag works. Also it is the ESC and most likely happened on a tilt over, or the prop came in contact with something. Absolutely do not try to fly it. Research replacing the ESC. And please do try and give as much detail about you quad and how it happened so we can get you the right info.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJpDtCTWFo0[/youtube]

I cant remember that it tilted over or came contact with something before I noticed the problem. May be i'll just bring it to the local store where I bought it.

I don't know what the flashing LED means, but the fault could still be either in the motor or the ESC. The probability of failure is more likely in the ESC than in the motor due to the quantity of susceptible parts involved.

If a motor winding has shorted, the ESC will have a heavier load, thereby increasing the potential of failure in the ESC or at least appear to be failed. If an ESC (by itself) is suffering from a switching circuit failure (low resistance short, what we also call a "smart short" or an open circuit) it will dissipate more heat than it would otherwise.

If you have an IR thermometer, here is my recommendation:
Run the drone for a few minutes idling on the ground, then shut off the motors by issuing a CSC to stop the props (don't take the time to power down the drone). Now very quickly measure each of the arms (at both the motor and mid-length where the ESC is) to see the difference. Have someone to help you quickly write down the temps. You are going to see an arm temperature difference (if you don't, your IR thermometer is not sensitive enough). If you see the motors at all the same temperature, then the ESC is probably the fault. But if you see one motor hotter than others, it is more likely a motor failure causing the ESC to overheat.

Good luck,

Hi, I brought my DJI to the store for repair and they replace the ESC using the one from the old phantom 2 and it is now working. However, it has a weird behavior during startup. The left front arm, during the initialization, is beeping and the LED is flashing while the right arm does not. What are the possible cause of this? Below is the video link I took.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGWV7SK ... e=youtu.be

The older ESCs have four beeps, the newer ones do not. If you have the upgraded motors, I might be worried about them putting in an older ESC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1