Mission app - Litchi

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum. I was hoping to get some information about the mission app, Litchi.

I have a Phantom 4 Pro. I need to set up a dozen missions to fly a simple L pattern to a destination, then hover while I manually film, then follow that L pattern back home.

These 12 destinations are in a line about 25 yards apart. They are action shots, and when I see that the action is taking place at any one particular location; for instance location seven; I need to be able to readily call up the mission and send the drone fast.

When the filming is completed, I needed to follow that same L pattern back to home but in no rush.

Will the Litchi app meet my needs?

I would appreciate any information that I could get.

Thank you

Interesting scenario, not sure I understand it but...

You could certainly program a bunch of L missions. But if you want to stop and film "the action" you will have to end the mission at the action. Then if you want to fly back, you will have to have a separate return mission from each destination.

In other words you can not stop and do manual things in the middle of a mission. Unless the amount of time that you need to film the action is fixed, and you could film from a fixed position. You could program a hover for X number of seconds and film. Then the drone would return. I do not know if there is a limit to that hover time. I have only ever tried to program a few seconds

Not that it's any of my business, but I'd LOVE to know what these missions are all about.

Interesting scenario, not sure I understand it but...

You could certainly program a bunch of L missions. But if you want to stop and film "the action" you will have to end the mission at the action. Then if you want to fly back, you will have to have a separate return mission from each destination.

In other words you can not stop and do manual things in the middle of a mission. Unless the amount of time that you need to film the action is fixed, and you could film from a fixed position. You could program a hover for X number of seconds and film. Then the drone would return. I do not know if there is a limit to that hover time. I have only ever tried to program a few seconds

I was hoping that I could program it to get to the destination then enter another mode for manual filming, but what you suggested would work actually.

What is paramount is the ability to easily select a mission rapidly and go. Is the user interface organized such that it will enable a rapid deployment?

And by the way, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post.

Not that it's any of my business, but I'd LOVE to know what these missions are all about.

I would love to tell you but I can't talk about for 8 or 9 months. It is pretty interesting and will look forward to discussing it in the future.

Unless you expect to be flying outside connection range manual flight will likely work best for you, you will have better control of the camera framing .

Unless you expect to be flying outside connection range manual flight will likely work best for you, you will have better control of the camera framing .

It will be close range. From 20 to 420 meters. However, from my vantage point it will be difficult to be precise. Eliminating seconds of time reaching the destination will often make a huge difference.

From my preferred home position, these targets are in a line straight away from me. Additionally, the drone will have to fly out away from the line and then come back in to the discrete targets.

I have practiced this with the dji GO 4 and it works wonderfully as for at the flight time works. I was hoping the Litchi would allow me to manually film then continue the mission, but I can work around that. I need fast interface that looks something like:

All I have to do is select and go. I can have a '13' to head back out of range to hover and wait for a home command.

I was hoping that I could program it to get to the destination then enter another mode for manual filming, but what you suggested would work actually.

What is paramount is the ability to easily select a mission rapidly and go. Is the user interface organized such that it will enable a rapid deployment?

And by the way, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post.

It is one press to open your list of pre-programmed missions. A press to load the one you want. It takes maybe 2 to 5 seconds to load the mission. (complicated missions are longer, from what you describe yours would be on the short end) and then another quick press to commence flying.

It is one press to open your list of pre-programmed missions. A press to load the one you want. It takes maybe 2 to 5 seconds to load the mission. (complicated missions are longer, from what you describe yours would be on the short end) and then another quick press to commence flying.

This sounds promising. I have surmised that the missions can be named to something user friendly. From what I have been able to learn so far, the only time you can access the missions in dji GO 4 is when the drone is in the air. Maybe I missed something. I went out this evening again programmed some missions in dji, but the mission names were in date and time format--not very friendly. And, I tried hitting pause but I could not seem to manually operate the camera when doing so. Regardless, Litchi looks like a good bet.

Thanks again

Yes, you can name each mission anything you want, however IMO it's not going to be quick to change missions. I think it will take you about 15 seconds to switch from one mission to another, but it also depends on the size of the mission, could be longer. Keep in mind, you have to stop the present mission, select the new mission from your list, download that mission from the internet through your tablet (you must have an internet connection), through the RC, to the craft, and then you can start the mission.

Yes, you can name each mission anything you want, however IMO it's not going to be quick to change missions. I think it will take you about 15 seconds to switch from one mission to another, but it also depends on the size of the mission, could be longer. Keep in mind, you have to stop the present mission, select the new mission from your list, download that mission from the internet through your tablet (you must have an internet connection), through the RC, to the craft, and then you can start the mission.

I don't need to switch missions fast--just launch them fast. However, I did not realize I would need an internet connection. So I will have to use a hotspot for my iPad?

I don't need to switch missions fast--just launch them fast. However, I did not realize I would need an internet connection. So I will have to use a hotspot for my iPad?
You don't need an internet connection to upload the missions to the AC. You can build the mission prior to going to the field and then load them later when at your flying area. Check the Litchi manual for more info on this or do a search on this forum for further help.

I fly several ginormous construction sites, each with numerous missions. Some missions are a mile long with numerous waypoints. It has never taken me anywhere close to 15 seconds to go from one mission to another

Thanks again everyone for the comments. I really appreciate the information.

I have only had this drone for four days and I am so impressed with its ability. I honestly had no idea how sophisticated these have become.

My preference is to set up the way points while my drone is in flight. I will need observers to make sure my placement is exactly where it is supposed to be. I'm assuming that the software allows for this?

I have read a little chatter about another program called, AutoPilot. The impression I'm getting is that it doesn't measure up to the Litchi. Is that pretty much the consensus?

I fly several ginormous construction sites, each with numerous missions. Some missions are a mile long with numerous waypoints. It has never taken me anywhere close to 15 seconds to go from one mission to another
You sound more qualified to answer this than me. I've never done an actual speed test and timed it, I was estimating based on what I recall taking me to switch. Maybe I over estimated. So how long does it take you to switch from one mission to another, on average?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers