Measuring down slopes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am still relatively new to the scene so bare with me.

I am wanting to use the Phantom 4 Pro to take weekly measurements form point A to point B down a slope to determine if any movement is occurring. Its roughly 12m.
Currently I am taking a single image directly above and using GSD formula with the Phantom specs and image software to determine straight distance, using the on-display height to determine their difference in height and then equating the angle distance. But this method is very inaccurate.
The ground is rough and I try to avoid landing the drone which decreases the height accuracy and depending on the position of the drone each week, pixel length and therefore distance varies (which isn't the change I am meant to be observing).

Surely this isn't the best way to do this, so I am after any better solutions. Like is their software such as drone deploy that is able to measure angle distances all from the sky?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am wanting to use the Phantom 4 Pro to take weekly measurements form point A to point B down a slope to determine if any movement is occurring. Its roughly 12m.
Currently I am taking a single image directly above and using GSD formula with the Phantom specs and image software to determine straight distance, using the on-display height to determine their difference in height and then equating the angle distance. But this method is very inaccurate.
The ground is rough and I try to avoid landing the drone which decreases the height accuracy and depending on the position of the drone each week, pixel length and therefore distance varies (which isn't the change I am meant to be observing).

Surely this isn't the best way to do this, so I am after any better solutions. Like is their software such as drone deploy that is able to measure angle distances all from the sky?
Dronedeploy offers you the option of exporting an orthophoto as a KML file which can be read in Google Earth, allowing measurement wit the GE measuring tools.
Here's part of a big orthophoto I made of a 120 acre site, exported as a GE file so the client can measure things:
S%20map_3-X3.jpg

If you are doing repetitive shoots, a simpler method might be to stake out some markers to use as a scale.
Could you fix pairs of conspicuous points 10 metres apart in areas where you aren't expecting movement??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers