Maybe Wind Crashed Phantom 3 Pro

Reaction score
Hello all Phantom 3 Pro Pilots,

After 3 1/2 years I flew with passion my drone and I think he is in heaven. I would like to know if I can recover the logs and find out what exactly happened and see if it can be fixed.

I have flown it with wind before but this time there was a hole within a big wall of a mountain and windy. First flight I flew over the mountain, went all the way to the back and brought it over but was tempted to take it through the hole and I took it :( then I was turning around and lost connection and nothing was coming up...hmm...then wait some minutes and see if it can rth but nothing...hmm..well I hiked up to the hole, then by remembering the flight path when I was turning I hiked down in the other side, walking through all directions I found my buddy all crashed in the floor...shut, sadness in my mind. My conclusion of the accident I think, I might be wrong was the effect of the wind once it goes through the whole and somehow creates a turbulence or sort of a wind funnel that took my drone down...not sure though... :( ;(. Here are the photos...

I will really appreciate any advice...Thanks for your help.

444c6f667ad3669f93bf26330b868f74.jpg

ccf1672a06f412454cfa7e9a4445611f.jpg

19455c967a29678192c3e25acd907e72.jpg

fed0f2c569f9b24e438120ee4a997ff8.jpg

b1ea378cc6d60f0db95a24be7f78ef23.jpg

e85e84a0159c314bf5bad3e3b010ef33.jpg

3143141193c34eb1c0c24cf0bf1d8335.jpg
8776420a0d392663d4dbdca5ff874f72.jpg
b2b7d70575be7557d66040cf1375c443.jpg

I would like to know if I can recover the logs and find out what exactly happened
The quickest and simplest way to get the flight data is to go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

Reactions: gerfoto
The quickest and simplest way to get the flight data is to go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

Thanks so much, I have uploaded the flight log

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Crashing Sucks, Loosing it is worse. :(

What is this hole?

If your going to fly through a hole, it would seem like you would loose satellite lock, and or signal from the Phantom, it shows satellite loss, and switching to Atti and some short signal losses, but it returned to GPS.

Some others will have a lot more information.

Is this a hole that goes through a mountain like a tunnel?

Rod

Hole.jpg

Hum, Thanks, I think I was there in 82. ;)
Not really what I was thinking of a mountain. :D

I have my thoughts of what happen, I will wait....

Rod

Reactions: Jim Canada
Nothing in the data to say anything out of the ordinary, except for the last few seconds. Signal loss, GPS drop out, and ATTI. This only lasted for a very brief period, and if the mapping on GE is even remotely correct, the altitude on the other side at the last of the data is no where close to being able to return over the top. In fact, over 100 feet too low. It is possible with heavy winds, while in atti mode the AC could have been blown too close the side.

Nothing in the data to say anything out of the ordinary, except for the last few seconds. Signal loss, GPS drop out, and ATTI. This only lasted for a very brief period, and if the mapping on GE is even remotely correct, the altitude on the other side at the last of the data is no where close to being able to return over the top. In fact, over 100 feet too low. It is possible with heavy winds, while in atti mode the AC could have been blown too close the side.

I think heavy winds was the factor... [emoji17]

Crashing Sucks, Loosing it is worse. :(

What is this hole?

If your going to fly through a hole, it would seem like you would loose satellite lock, and or signal from the Phantom, it shows satellite loss, and switching to Atti and some short signal losses, but it returned to GPS.

Some others will have a lot more information.

Is this a hole that goes through a mountain like a tunnel?

Rod

Unless he was flying through a hole similar to what you see in pictures of Utah. Those would likely compress airflow and have a negative effect on stability.

Can it be fixed ?

You can do this yourself to a certain degree. I think the shell runs $69 on Amazon. Your biggest problem is the expense of the camera and the gimbal. I think I'd write this one off and purchase a new drone.

By the way, you can get your next drone insured. Mine is insured by State Farm for $60/year with a $100 deductible. A drop in the bucket compared to the price of a new drone. ;) But I really feel for you! :(

Unless he was flying through a hole similar to what you see in pictures of Utah. Those would likely compress airflow and have a negative effect on stability.
Yeah, after I seen the small ridge, with the hole, it looked at lot different then a mountain with a tunnel, pictures help.

Rod

Reactions: VegasFlyer
It almost looks like a National Park scene. Maybe the drone gods had a way of saying not to fly in National Parks. Otherwise, if there was any wind, the winds going through the hole would have accelerated to become much faster than the normal wind velocity in the area.

It almost looks like a National Park scene. Maybe the drone gods had a way of saying not to fly in National Parks. Otherwise, if there was any wind, the winds going through the hole would have accelerated to become much faster than the normal wind velocity in the area.

I was not in a National Park sir. Rangers are really good with signs. I was way down south on 191. And, I follow the law and always ask permission if I want to fly if I see the need for it. [emoji34]

Thanks for clarifying. At any rate, the "Venturi effect" can cause issues with wind. Sorry for your loss.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers