Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

I noticed that the swivel indent from the DJI antenna made it difficult to properly tighten the connector, and that it moved when putting on an antenna or cable. Fortunately we have a nice soldering / microscope station at work and a guy who knows how to use it who repaired the cable connection to the connector.

Asked Jake about these little plastic spacers shown in an eBay kit from China.
View attachment 54531
He suggested using a washer with a larger outside diameter to hold it against the chromed ring instead. A few cents at Ace hardware and that did the trick for me, along with a few dabs of hot glue inside for insurance.
View attachment 54532
Is this the Maxx uav clean install kit? Why would you need to buy washers? I'm waiting on that kit too but I expected it to be complete and fit so there's no need for anything extra to noodle around with, such as washers to make a better fit. Am I misunderstanding? Thanks.

Is this the Maxx uav clean install kit? Why would you need to buy washers? I'm waiting on that kit too but I expected it to be complete and fit so there's no need for anything extra to noodle around with, such as washers to make a better fit. Am I misunderstanding? Thanks.
Correct.
It is "complete", but I was not happy with the way the included washer seated, and as such I did not tighten it down enough to keep it from twisting. The wider washer allows the nut to tighten evenly, which seems to provide a more secure fit.

Reactions: phxbird57
I mounted my 2.4 GHz 14 dBi Flat Panel Range Extender Antenna's on a tripod with 4' cables.
I read that the antenna's need to be spaced apart, so these are about 6".
Raining here so cannot test against the panels side by side.

antenna.jpg

I think adding any great length of coax is gonna mess with the attenuation enough. And also depending on the model RC you're going to lose some power due to length of cables.

I think adding any great length of coax is gonna mess with the attenuation enough. And also depending on the model RC you're going to lose some power due to length of cables.
I was reading somebody was stating how much but it was based off of 100 ft drop line. Which we are not talking about. Yes you loss db with any cable and also any connection. By me leaving the cable on I have one less connection.

Hey it's worth a shot. 24" and 4' are a big difference. The loss in the connectors is really minimal but the loss in the length of cable is greater. I'm not sure how the DJI radios will perform with long cables but ideally in the FPV world you want to mount your transmitter/radio as close to the antenna and then run a control line to the rc controller. But we don't have that luxury with the DJI remotes.

Hey it's worth a shot. 24" and 4' are a big difference. The loss in the connectors is really minimal but the loss in the length of cable is greater. I'm not sure how the DJI radios will perform with long cables but ideally in the FPV world you want to mount your transmitter/radio as close to the antenna and then run a control line to the rc controller. But we don't have that luxury with the DJI remotes.
Yes true.;)

You could try beveled washers - Google Search to adjust for off angles inside the remote
The problem isn't an angle inside. It is on the outside where the original antenna has a piece of plastic that limits the rotation of the antenna. So that creates a void in the outer stub where it travels.
The eBay Chinese kit shows these filler pieces, but someone here who purchased it said theirs did not come with them.
2016-05-07_16-39-59.jpg

Reactions: Reed L
Ed question for you. If you look at picture 6 of the antenna in question. You will see a 1/2 " of copper wiring coming though the solder. It's bent over and it's the core of the cable for contact to the plates. I was thinking that may cause a problem with the signal? Do you know.
IMG_20160520_163108032[1].jpg

Ed question for you. If you look at picture 6 of the antenna in question. You will see a 1/2 " of copper wiring coming though the solder. It's bent over and it's the core of the cable for contact to the plates. I was thinking that may cause a problem with the signal? Do you know.
View attachment 54607

I am not an antenna expert but I believe that is ok/by design. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Did my first test with the Maxx. Went to a park that I have flown several times and flying in 4 different directions, the best improvement over the smaller Itelite brother was only about 100 yards further over a mile distance. Also had some sporadic drops on control and video. Very disappointed so far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures