Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

This is a tough one for me. I have the fpvlr kit with boosters on my q500 rc. It's great not to have to worry about signal, but it's made the rc much more of a rig, not to mention the extra battery to keep up with. I got the phantom for light bridge and thinking I don't have to **** around with antenna mods. I do fly with windsurfers, but that's not a mod, lol. I'll be running into situations where I'll have to push 3.5k' out and maybe even a bit more. I use Litchi and with the current sdk problems that dji hasn't fixed yet, you do not want to lose connection in focus mode, for instance - and I'd be using that a ton. So, I was considering the smaller dbs mod plate with boosters. That or this giant terminator plate that looks to be the ultimate, albeit akin to holding up a small wall while flying. Mods don't bother me too much while I fly but I don't always require a major ordeal for casual shorter distance flights. Unfortunately, when you commit to these mods you're in it for every flight. And that has me considering if stock with windsurfers with bird/rc LOS almost always would be dependable within 4k'. I'd love to stay stock. But I'd love to be confident in it with my distances which are considerably less than long distance warriors.

Any thoughts to offer for me to consider?
Shockwave , I have a stock P3a also, I don't want to mod it at all. I've taken it out to 3.6 miles with just a wind surfer on for extra insurance. I've flow it with out the wind surfer out to 2 miles with no problems. This is with no building or trees in the way, just flat ground. I'm amazed at what a wind surfer can do.

I didn't know you guys were down there. This is way "off-topic" but you guys might get a kick out of it. Crystal Beach in Feb, you guys might recognize it. We had a vacation down there, we're thinking about buying a home in the area.

Jerry

Jerry love the shore line looks great, very nice video. We don't get to much water in our area.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Hey shock, controllers are getting cheaper by the minute, get another controller for your lite weight flights, it takes seconds to rebind! Then get a Maxxrange from Fredz, they dont weigh jack[emoji41]
Heh, well that another way to go, lol!

I really wish I could get out there and do more tests of the Maxxrange but it has literally been a complete washout today. Anyone in the N.E. US knows what I'm talking about. It's rained every day since Sunday; before that was rain too. I have the Maxxrange setup with boosters and batteries charged. I really wanted to do a suburban test in the same spot I flew yesterday, this time with boosters. Then do another unboosted/boosted test in more of a prime location for 8+mi. I'll be traveling up north this weekend but I'll bring my P3A and maybe I'll catch a break in the weather.

Still waiting for a terminator test in urban wifi areas. Seems like nobody besides DB has a Terminator
Hey SK, very windy today, but I launched towards my downtown from my driveway(which is not my ideal homepoint, but I wanted to test an obstructed flight path)
There is two miles of trees & fields before you get to full neighborhoods of houses & businesses! From that launch I had 3000 ft open space then a solid line of trees! I kept the UNboosted Terminator as low as 150' for as long as I could before the trees obstructed me. Once I got to the houses/businesses, I only noticed signal issues due to altitude/horizon obstructions! This was obvious because anytime the signal dipped if I climbed even 20' it would solve the issue. In my opinion, the distance I got from the obstructed horizon, flying over an inner city environment unboosted w/ the terminator panel exceeds or matches what I've gotten w/ my BOOSTED v-2 kit!
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Reactions: Jtrjr
2nd test of the ItElite Maxxrange from @Fredz. Finally a break in the **** rain! This time with Sunhans 2.5w boosters. Really trying for bad wifi areas and penetration through trees and houses. We know this is good for range but what about urban/suburban areas? I took off and flew over town again; this time getting farther than unboosted as expected. I was getting weak signal at some points but never lost connection. Usually if I kept pushing forward the signal strength would come right back; sometimes I would just increase altitude. This is a VERY mobile setup and I'm very happy with it's performance. Can't wait to get the MaxxUAV DJI amplifier mount to make this a neat package! It seems to have better penetration than my FPVLRv2 in town. Here's my POV of the direction I flew upon takeoff and still managed over a mile. The only reason why I turned around was because I wasn't running extra batteries and it was a little windy. Remember, I'm not trying to set distance records with this test. We know it's good, but what about in bad areas right?
09B3YVa.jpg

Here's the Heathydrones log: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
And here's a video of the flight so you can see the flight and terrain that was covered:

Last edited:
Cool. I'm guessing you quickly lost visual and tx line of sight and signal still held? Any pics of your remote control with this on it? I consider the dbs small panel very mobile. This large panel may be mobile but it's definitely way more of a rig to contend with, sheer size alone. I'm still not sold, considering the size of it. For me it's about a big increase in signal strength and reliability with a small footprint, not a huge one.

Come on guys, you cant ask for more than that out of an antenna!!
That was lower altitude than you should've been able to achieve at that vantage point/launch point!
There's no question that not only was that antenna cutting through trees and buildings it was also fighting off some serious RF noise from surroundings!
Nice job Ed, perfect demonstration of what that antenna is capable of inner-city[emoji41]

Hey, I'm not trying to sell them[emoji3] just showing my findings. Also, signal penetration is really determined by frequency. Since we cant change the frequency, you have to increase gain and output. You find an antenna that's as compact with comparable gains then.

Well Ed, it looks like you found a winner for your situation.
As for me, I've always carried my controller in its own case anyhow so it can be already set up once I get to the field. I don't like taking an antenna on and off, I don't think it's good for cables or the connectors over time.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462644835.818351.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462644846.733393.jpg

And this is with the amps. Jalopy rigged until the MaxxUAV mount comes in.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462644902.019384.jpg

Well Ed, it looks like you found a winner for your situation.
As for me, I've always carried my controller in its own case anyhow so it can be already set up once I get to the field. I don't like taking an antenna on and off, I don't think it's good for cables or the connectors over time.
I just wanted something that is great long distance in prime conditions AND better range in suburban areas. This does both. I also don't disconnect the panel.

Reactions: dirtybum
Thanks for those pics. I also would not to the panel off. Mostly lazy, but I also don't like fidgeting the connections unless I have to. I'm confused about who offers this panel. I see it at horizon on backorder. Is that where you guys are getting it? Who's the other dude that's been mentioned to buy from? It's a large panel for sure. That's a mac truck bumper on the remote, lol. But it does offer something that interests me too. Still mulling.

2nd test of the ItElite Maxxrange from @Fredz. Finally a break in the **** rain! This time with Sunhans 2.5w boosters. Really trying for bad wifi areas and penetration through trees and houses. We know this is good for range but what about urban/suburban areas? I took off and flew over town again; this time getting farther than unboosted as expected. I was getting weak signal at some points but never lost connection. Usually if I kept pushing forward the signal strength would come right back; sometimes I would just increase altitude. This is a VERY mobile setup and I'm very happy with it's performance. Can't wait to get the MaxxUAV DJI amplifier mount to make this a neat package! It seems to have better penetration than my FPVLRv2 in town. Here's my POV of the direction I flew upon takeoff and still managed over a mile. The only reason why I turned around was because I wasn't running extra batteries and it was a little windy. Remember, I'm not trying to set distance records with this test. We know it's good, but what about in bad areas right?
09B3YVa.jpg

Here's the Heathydrones log: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
And here's a video of the flight so you can see the flight and terrain that was covered:
Ed once again great video and as DB said that was some low flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164