Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

like I stated in my other thread, I always see people going distance in farm lands or the ocean, I cannot be the only one that lives in a city with over 100k people in it.

so you think a booster is needed in my situation either way?

Maxxrange unboosted or terminator unboosted over dbs-02 boosted IMO[emoji41]
Horizon MaxxRange ITelite Panel antenna P3 Adv & Pro and Inspire
And you can just put some stick/dipole 2.4 antennas on for test work, they wont get you that far though unless you throw some windsurfers on them
7dBi Grey Dual-band dipole 2.4/5.8GHz AC Mode RP-SMA High Gain Omni Antenna USA

I'd agree ;) but I'd boost the Maxx as well cause I'm crazy like that ha ha ha

I like flying it 1km away and turning around and still having full signal ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

like I stated in my other thread, I always see people going distance in farm lands or the ocean, I cannot be the only one that lives in a city with over 100k people in it.

I do fly in open areas FF, but I've tested both these antennas very extensively in all kinds of areas boosted and Unboosted throughout this long thread. To save you the trouble of searching back just go check out post number 275[emoji41]
That was with the maxxrange unboosted, somewhere in the next 30 posts after that Ed209 did some testing in his urban area, and I also did that same area with the Terminator. If you got time go back and read it a little. It was very good results in a heavily congested housing development

Full signal at turn around, battery was depleted
1f78a59aa48c88468b1f11abdfe0f218.jpg

I do fly in open areas FF, but I've tested both these antennas very extensively in all kinds of areas boosted and Unboosted throughout this long thread. To save you the trouble of searching back just go check out post number 275[emoji41]
That was with the maxxrange unboosted, somewhere in the next 30 posts after that Ed209 did some testing in his urban area, and I also did that same area with the Terminator. If you got time go back and read it a little. It was very good results in a heavily congested housing development

Thanks!! just read your post 275 and very similar to my area.

So I think what I will do is get the maxxrange antenna, I could always add that booster kit in the future if I needed, right?

sorry for being a noob, but simply changing the antenna doesn't remove lightbridge technology right? I'm still using 2.4 and 5.8ghz frequencies

I will have to order a neck strap I guess, seems too big to hold comfortable lol

So I think what I will do is get the maxxrange antenna, I could always add that booster kit in the future if I needed, right?

sorry for being a noob, but simply changing the antenna doesn't remove lightbridge technology right? I'm still using 2.4 and 5.8ghz frequencies

I will have to order a neck strap I guess, seems too big to hold comfortable lol

The pro/adv does not use 5.8..just the 2.4!!

You can get the nice strap from aliexpress for $8

No need to apologize that's what this forum is for, asking questions and learning. You could use a lanyard. But you really don't need it you be surprised at how light it still is w/ the maxxrange. And like pro said you won't mess nothing up(except maybe on the install[emoji41])
You can always boost it later.
What do you think about that dumpster and 30 houses in front of me in that post?

No need to apologize that's what this forum is for, asking questions and learning. You could use a lanyard. But you really don't need it you be surprised at how light it still is w/ the maxxrange. And like pro said you won't mess nothing up(except maybe on the install[emoji41])
You can always boost it later.
What do you think about that dumpster and 30 houses in front of me in that post?

yea I saw that.

Now, whats the deal with some people stating they get no better results ?? is it something they did wrong on install? just bad interference ??

whats the stock DB's ? for the stock antenna's ?

Dope a/c name! I thought you modded the battery for that one?
Is that typical battery life for the inspire?

I did, this was before that, and the reason I modded it lol !!! Battery life on the inspire sucks !! 14-17 min from tb47 and 18-19 tb48 ! I got 20 mins out of a tb48 once lol

yea I saw that.

Now, whats the deal with some people stating they get no better results ?? is it something they did wrong on install? just bad interference ??

I can only guess what causes people's poor results.

#1 I would say is operator error ie. Flying facing a forest lol
#2 improper install, something not hooked up right etc
#3 interference, unfortunately it's real and makes no sense sometimes. There's a big industrial building in this one location I fly and when I fly past if it's like a brick wall, I have to gain altitude to pass then drop back down once past and then it works fine, makes no sense to me / what the heck are they doing in there lol but yeah interference sucks and it's a real thing

The stock antennas are omni meaning they throw signal in a kind of doughnut shape around the vertical antenna, they aren't bad to be honest for casual flying but as far as distant goes they aren't great. Over water people will post decent results but the slightest thing off in the flying environment and signal drops off fast, imagine a light bulb

Directional antennas take that same power and "throw" it into a kind of beam .. Imagine headlights or some light inside a reflector

And then the boosters just step the power up both ways so increase power out and ability to hear coming in.

yea I saw that.

I think stock dipoles are 5dB

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
I did, this was before that, and the reason I modded it lol !!! Battery life on the inspire sucks !! 14-17 min from tb47 and 18-19 tb48 ! I got 20 mins out of a tb48 once lol

That blows! I put a battery in my P3 standard this morning that has 46 charges (it's modded so we mean some real draining charges)
I only took off for a few minutes but it started out with 19 minutes on the app.

Yep interference is a strange thing, the same route that I've done so many record runs with the light bridge system, I can't get a Wi-Fi system (standard or vision plus) past it. There's another direction I fly record runs, where for one whole week I couldn't get any aircraft I had to take off from there!! I've flown 80 times there since then! So interference is really hard to make sense of. If something is not working for you and you've checked all your equipment, THEN MOVE!

Lol don't worry !! I did 27 mins with the mod .. Landed at 10 % if I remember right .. I can def get 30 out of it

Has the Terminator Extreme been pulled, I couldn't find it on the Midwest Horizon FPV website? Thanks

more questions.. using the MAXXRANGE antenna for the P3P, can I take it on and off without worrying about the wire/screw getting damaged, as long as I take care of it?
I need to fit it in my carry box (its the big one they sell on Amazon, I'm sure it will fit)

also, is the owner of the USA store on here?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak