Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Should I be getting better distance then this. Granted you can see from my screen capture, I flew out to those furthest distances from me and the video started to break up. Ill admit, I did not try punching through it just due to nerves and turned around and head back towards home. Here is a shot of the flight and also a shot of where I am on the ground and what I am trying to punch through. using the itelite
ITE-DBS02
antenna.

I did manage to get some speed out of it though.

20160615_101328.jpg

20160615_101440.jpg

No considering what's in front of you, all them trees and your using the DBS 02 Unboosted, that's probably all you're going to get flying with all that coverage. You fly in a spot like that for fun not for distance

Reactions: phxbird57
No considering what's in front of you, all them trees and your using the DBS 02 Unboosted, that's probably all you're going to get flying with all that coverage. You fly in a spot like that for fun not for distance
Alright thanks for the response..Happy flying

Should I be getting better distance then this. Granted you can see from my screen capture, I flew out to those furthest distances from me and the video started to break up. Ill admit, I did not try punching through it just due to nerves and turned around and head back towards home. Here is a shot of the flight and also a shot of where I am on the ground and what I am trying to punch through. using the itelite
ITE-DBS02
antenna.

I did manage to get some speed out of it though.

20160615_101328.jpg

20160615_101440.jpg
Wyattroa were you getting some wind. I just seen the top speed. NICE ;)

Maxxrange coming through for me again(terminator could've done it also)
58,500 feet and backView attachment 57104
F'n sweet!!!! I think that's a #1 spot now right? Congrats!..personal best too right for return trip, that's awesome man.... I think 60k' is in your near future when you find the right battery... I bet you could do 60k' if wind brought you out and brought you back lol

F'n sweet!!!! I think that's a #1 spot now right? Congrats!..personal best too right for return trip, that's awesome man.... I think 60k' is in your near future when you find the right battery... I bet you could do 60k' if wind brought you out and brought you back lol
Nope, I got my personal best without a camera on just to prove a point that anybody can take a camera off and go far it was 60,000+ feet and back! But this is a true accomplishment because it's with a camera which adds extra 230 g and it's how most of us fly distance and should! But to answer your question about the wind, a few of us a flown some pretty long flights, I think we're starting to see that the trick is not to have a tailwind to bring you back but have no wind to deal with if you want to make it that far! Yeah you can make it 9 miles and back and back with a tailwind but to get 10+ miles and back you got to be cruising 34 to 36 miles an hour the whole way. At least that's my experience and I made quite a few trips at those distances lately since these big panels came out

Nope, I got my personal best without a camera on just to prove a point that anybody can take a camera off and go far it was 60,000+ feet and back! But this is a true accomplishment because it's with a camera which adds extra 230 g and it's how most of us fly distance and should! But to answer your question about the wind, a few of us a flown some pretty long flights, I think we're starting to see that the trick is not to have a tailwind to bring you back but have no wind to deal with if you want to make it that far! Yeah you can make it 9 miles and back and back with a tailwind but to get 10+ miles and back you got to be cruising 34 to 36 miles an hour the whole way. At least that's my experience and I made quite a few trips at those distances lately since these big panels came out

This is gospel DB... To back that up. I was flying this morning going 25mph out 35mph return and only got 54,287ft. Landed at 2%. My flight was 40m29s which was longer than DB but the wind is what killed me. Finding DEAD air in my area seems to be **** near impossible. I have never seen even 30mph outgoing speed into any wind conditions. It's just that hard to beat these records. You can have the right equipment and even put up longer flight times and still can't beat it. WIND is the factor at this level of flying.

Congrats on the record again DB. You earned it!

You don't have to go very far back when you see me stating that a 5 mph direct headwind is optimal for record runs!! That's when we was dealing with 8 mile flights! Getting back from 9 to 11 mile flights it's obvious to me now that it needs to be calm and you need to be going fast both ways with about 35 to 39 minutes battery, which the single 5.2 MultiStar will do for you in calm weather

I dont remember if you guys talked about props making a difference but have you guys noticed any (if you tried them) when doing distance runs?...the stiff cf vs stock? Would they even make a difference for thrust/speed

I dont remember if you guys talked about props making a difference but have you guys noticed any (if you tried them) when doing distance runs?...the stiff cf vs stock? Would they even make a difference for thrust/speed
I'm pretty sure Ed uses CF ! I use stock issued P3 9450's. I've tried carbon fiber and didn't see much of a difference although it seems like it should help when you're really loaded down with batteries, every time I autoland and flip upside down I break one, where standard prop can make it through the fall. I know Unknown Caller has experimented with a few different ones and has found that Tmotor props can give slightly more flight time, but your aircraft don't go near as fast, which I think speed is the key to beat this new record!

Oh nice, I think tripods really maximize these panels capabilities. I face mine tilted slightly upwards and in the direction I'm flying and never touch it again till I'm done. It takes all the work out of aiming but it also keeps you on target so you know you're going to get your bird back safe

Oh nice, I think tripods really maximize these panels capabilities. I face mine tilted slightly upwards and in the direction I'm flying and never touch it again till I'm done. It takes all the work out of aiming but it also keeps you on target so you know you're going to get your bird back safe
yes always done it that way , there is no need to worry about the target to the bird , its always locked on , a moment lapse at 10 miles holding it will get troubles.

I may start a thread , Talk to an Antenna Guru , i know all there is to know about this stuff .

just started a thread , talk to an antenna guru.

Last edited:
Reactions: Procharged97
Definately made things better for me and you can just try and relax when its flying back lol. Ive been real busy the last month hope to get out flying soon test this gold amp out properly, been keeping up with the thread though.
Looking forward to these results from the terminator 2 you guys are getting soon.

Reactions: dirtybum
I may start a thread , Talk to an Antenna Guru , i know all there is to know about this stuff .[/QUOTE]

I think that would be a great idea for you to do that!!

Reactions: phxbird57
yes always done it that way , there is no need to worry about the target to the bird , its always locked on , a moment lapse at 10 miles holding it will get troubles.

I may start a thread , Talk to an Antenna Guru , i know all there is to know about this stuff .
Would be good, im sure it will be a busy thread.
Is this Will?

sure is ..I never really bother with forums , as i can really not learn very much so it may be time to educate you guys.
Welcome good to have you here.
So i take it you've been out with the t2 already, any news?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak