Maxiumum allowed height + RTH height

Reaction score
With RTH height set at 60 feet, I fly to maximum allowed altitude of 400 feet above the home point, then I hit RTH. Will my P3P ascend to the disallowed height 460' before heading home? Yeah, I searched the forums in vain before I posted this question. Is the correct answer that the RTH height is the height above the take off point? I ask because I hit RTH when at 400 feet, the AC spun around to face home. I don't know if it then climbed higher, but I do know it then flew straight toward me at 400 feet before stopping overhead and descending.

Last edited:
With RTH height set at 60 feet, I fly to maximum allowed altitude of 400 feet above the home point, then I hit RTH. Will my P3P ascend to the disallowed height 460' before heading home? Yeah, I searched the forums in vain before I posted this question.

Here's one of the bullets from the tips post that I frequently share with new P3A/P3P owners:

> When RTH is initiated, the Phantom will not descend to your preset altitude if it is already above your preset RTH altitude. (This is one of the most often asked questions).

The flip side is also true. It will not ascend if it is already at or above your RTH altitude or already at your preset maximum altitude.

And it will not go above the 120m/400Ft limit unless you've changed that parameter manually in the DJI Go settings.

Art, next time we fly we will run an experiment by doing what you say and watching the altitude readings throughout.

Reactions: BigAl07
Reactions: JoBe and 3putts
Thanks everyone for your responses. My question wasn't about how high I should set the RTH height (I try very hard to stay away from the many 150' palm trees here), but once I get up to the 400 foot limit, will the AC climb another 60 feet (or what ever my RTH height is set) to come home on RTH? Big Al07 came back with the answer I guessed would be correct. Thanks BigAl07. JeffreyS and I will do a test just to be sure.

• Sad
Reactions: Oso
When RTH is triggered it will return at the current elevation, it will not change elevation, unless the RTH is set higher than the current elevation.

If your set RTH is 200' to make sure it returns above the Palm trees and you are flying at 400', it will RTH (Return) at 400'

Rod

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
"but once I get up to the 400 foot limit, will the AC climb another 60 feet "
If your RTH is set to 460' then yes, but only if you have changed the default height limit above 400' as Al said.

Rod

With RTH height set at 60 feet, I fly to maximum allowed altitude of 400 feet above the home point, then I hit RTH. Will my P3P ascend to the disallowed height 460' before heading home? Yeah, I searched the forums in vain before I posted this question. Is the correct answer that the RTH height is the height above the take off point? I ask because I hit RTH when at 400 feet, the AC spun around to face home. I don't know if it then climbed higher, but I do know it then flew straight toward me at 400 feet before stopping overhead and descending.
Why haven't you red the manual ? It's ALL in there !

Why haven't you red the manual ? It's ALL in there !

Some of us are poor reders, I am one.
I have trouble sometimes of really understanding what I read. I had read though the manual twice before I ordered my first Phantom(P2V+). I still didn't really understand it.
There is a lot stuff that still confusing in the manuals, and more missing.

When I make a post a reread it many times to make sure spelling and grammar are correct as I can.

Rod

Reactions: JoBe and BigAl07
Some of us are poor reders, I am one.
I have trouble sometimes of really understanding what I read. I had read though the manual twice before I ordered my first Phantom(P2V+). I still didn't really understand it.
There is a lot stuff that still confusing in the manuals, and more missing.

When I make a post a reread it many times to make sure spelling and grammar are correct as I can.

Rod
I red all your previous posts: #6, #9, #10 and these:

Then, suddenly this .....

You make yourself untrustworthy and me laugh!

Reactions: RodPad
So,
You posted it this way on purpose.
"Why haven't you red the manual ? It's ALL in there ! "

That is kind of funny, but still not nice to the OP.
I myself really do have problems with reading, spelling, grammar. etc.

Rod

Reactions: jimlips
The OP wrote: "Yeah, I searched the forums in vain before I posted this question."
NO word of reading the manual.

once I get up to the 400 foot limit, will the AC climb another 60 feet (or what ever my RTH height is set) to come home on RTH? Big Al07 came back with the answer I guessed would be correct. Thanks BigAl07.
It will not ascend if it is already at or above your RTH altitude or already at your preset maximum altitude.

• Sad
Reactions: Oso
I see what you did there @JoBe. Yes, I did give the answer in post 2 of the thread but as you know the important thing is that @Great Pumpkin got his answer. It’s not important if he looked past my reply. Most of us here have had replies overlooked from time to time. Please see my DM for a request from me.

Reactions: JoBe and BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20