Mavic vs Phantom 4

I've already listed my P3 rig on eBay. Once I saw what the Mavic has to offer, I see no reason why on earth anyone would even consider buying a Phantom. DJI couldn't give those away now that the Mavic is in the lineup.

From my perspective (granted, my experience is limited to watching videos and reading reviews), the Mavic Pro is a superset of the Phantom 4 -- it does everything the Phantom 4 does but in a much more sophisticated way, plus a whole lot more. The foldable form factor ALONE is enough to eclipse the Phantom (which now seems like a big, white brick), but the enhanced obstacle avoidance, PS4-like controller, racing mode, hovering stability and precision return to home, OcuSync, battery life (and cost), tripod mode, gesture support, level headedness, redundant sensors... I'm getting tired just typing all the ways the Mavic is superior.

On the contrary, there is literally nothing (of which I'm aware) about the Phantom 4 that trumps the Mavic.

So, the way I see it: Phantom is dead -- long live Mavic!

There is one thing and one thing only stopping me from buying a Mavic.
That is the inability to easily use a tablet (with sun shield) attached to the remote.

I just cant go back to flying with a phone sized screen.

There is one thing and one thing only stopping me from buying a Mavic.
That is the inability to easily use a tablet (with sun shield) attached to the remote.

I just cant go back to flying with a phone sized screen.

There are a couple people already designing a mod for the remote to accept an iPad mini.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: dtviewer
He redesigned it:

Still too clunky...especially if you want to use a sun shield with it. And I cant imagine flying with out one.
I really think the tablet needs to be above the screen like with the phantoms.

Here is my guess at what's to come... I doubt the Phantom line will be discontinued... I think if anything they will have 3 lines. Super Compact/portable - Mavic, Compact prosumer better camera, zoom - Phantom 5, and last but not least the full size(ish) dual operator, interchangeable lenses.. etc. - Inspire 2

Thoughts?

I have a P4 which I enjoy and intend on keeping. With that said, I just pre-ordered the MAVIC. I take a lot of scenic vacations on my motorcycle and its next to impossible to pack my luggage along with the P4. So essentially the driving force behind my Mavic purchase is portability.

Here is my guess at what's to come... I doubt the Phantom line will be discontinued... I think if anything they will have 3 lines. Super Compact/portable - Mavic, Compact prosumer better camera, zoom - Phantom 5, and last but not least the full size(ish) dual operator, interchangeable lenses.. etc. - Inspire 2

Thoughts?

Since they already shown that they can put all the necessary hardware in the size of the Mavic, what would be the benefit for them to maintain Phantom line? Prosumer Zoom lenses would not be much heavier anyway, so Mavic would nicely accommodate them. And let's not forget about competition. Now that Mavic is out everyone else in the industry would be targeting same size and folding capabilities.
To me they will branch out Mavic, just like they did with Phantom before and have new Inspire for pros who demand it. Inspire though would also shave some weight, become octacoper, and gain folding arms capability. It would make sense for DJI to release Inspire early next year with advanced HDR camera (maybe even two for 3D video) and several battery sizes to better match new OcuSync wireless range.
Then they can follow up with new Mavic later in the year as competition starts to gain on them yet again.

The iPhone/iPad comparison doesn't really work in this case. The form factors of those 2 products are the primary distinguishing characteristic. They do the same thing -- one is just bigger than the other. The Phantom series cannot do what the Mavic can do -- namely fold up into a very small, highly portable format. And no, I do not think a smaller footprint will limit the degree of technology that can be applied. If anything, the technology components will continue to get smaller and lighter. A couple of years from now, the Mavic will look like a flying brick in comparison to the latest drones.

And a couple of years from now the Phantom will still be slightly larger than the Mavic.

;)

I'm not sure many P3/A/P or P4 owners will jump to the Mavic, but a new buyer would certainly buy a Mavic for under a grand over a P4 or even a P3 A which are now available at under 600 bucks. The portability is just such a winning feature.

I'm not sure many P3/A/P or P4 owners will jump to the Mavic, but a new buyer would certainly buy a Mavic for under a grand over a P4 or even a P3 A which are now available at under 600 bucks. The portability is just such a winning feature.

Well...there is that one little problem.....the fact that this hasn't been out in consumers' hands to any significant degree. So far, the super-coolness of the Mavic is based entirely on DJI's own accolades, wishes and hopes of the faithful, obsessive parsing of the actual specs, and the enthusiastic gushing of a few internet "personalities". I'm sure the Mavic will ultimately be a winner, but I'm equally sure it will have its teething problems. I've never known DJI to hit it out of the park on the first pitch.

I own a P4 which I just bought a few weeks ago. And I pre ordered the Mavic PRO the day it was announced ,money is not an issue for me right now which I'm extremely grateful for but if it was I would be perfectly happy with just my P4, which I fly everyday and I'm having an absolute blast

Well...there is that one little problem.....the fact that this hasn't been out in consumers' hands to any significant degree. So far, the super-coolness of the Mavic is based entirely on DJI's own accolades, wishes and hopes of the faithful, obsessive parsing of the actual specs, and the enthusiastic gushing of a few internet "personalities". I'm sure the Mavic will ultimately be a winner, but I'm equally sure it will have its teething problems. I've never known DJI to hit it out of the park on the first pitch.

Every DJI product has been a hit out of the park. That's why they are the market leaders.

="NorthGAP3Pilot, post:
On the contrary, there is literally nothing (of which I'm aware) about the Phantom 4 that trumps the Mavic.

So, the way I see it: Phantom is dead -- long live Mavic!

Landing in tall grass..

You can hand-grab to land a Phantom. Too dangerous to do in a Mavic. LIKE if you agree!

Reactions: driehl
Many people who have actually flown the Mavic are saying it's easy to hand catch. Sure though -- you gotta be fully aware of what you're doing. Your hand is going to be closer to the props when catching the Mavic.

You can hand-grab to land a Phantom. Too dangerous to do in a Mavic. LIKE if you agree!

With the Mavic, you would need to stop the drone a bit higher off the ground then with Phantom, so you would reach up to grab it. That way you can protect yourself from getting near blades. But because Mavic is so lighter and the underbody is perfect size to hold a grip, I would imagine that in reality many would find it much easier then with Phantom. I am never very comfortable grabbing my Phantom in the air since it is pretty heavy for one handed grab and I have to grab it by one of the rails which does not inspire confidence that I would not mishandle it.

Hi everyone, just joined the forum and looking at the Mavic as new drone. The portability and ease of flying are features that attract me as a new drone flyer.

Disagree and totally dislike. All drones are dangerous to grab while in flight. The mavic is no less nor more dangerous than any other. You can find plenty of phantom victims who suffered deep cuts. It's a choice every pilot makes to hand catch or not but it is always at your own risk. I'd bet that the ppl who trick themselves into thinking it's safe are the same ones who got beat up by thier bird.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

How many times have you hand caught a Mavic? How many people here have this experience?

I fail to understand how you can comment, or expect others to comment, when there has been 0 real world experience. To me, cliff diving looks easy.... so it must be.

Reactions: Big Dog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik