Mavic vs Phantom 4

Yes this is true for all the tech world !!!

However, you come to a fast depreciation of your investment and at the same time you are realize that your money, after some months, buy something better you are becoming frustrated.

A solution to this issue is to bring down the prices at least by half. In this way you are broadening the customers base and you earn more. At the same time, the customer is not becoming so much frustrated by seeing every several months a new piece of tech that brings his investment down.

For example , lets say phantom 4 cost is 500 dollars . Mavic cost is 400 dollars. You will attract many more customers and your current customer will proceed more easily to your next products. Finally, no so much frustration when a new model arises.

Yes this is true for all the tech world !!!

However, you come to a fast depreciation of your investment and at the same time you are realize that your money, after some months, buy something better you are becoming frustrated.

For me, cost isn't the driving factor in indulging my hobbies. If I wanted a Mavic and thought it would add something to my enjoyment of this particular hobby, I'd just buy it.

I don't play golf. It frees up a lot of money and time to indulge hobbies that I do enjoy.

^ Yes I agree , however, cost seems to be the most important factor for most of the people. We are looking for the majority of the customers and not targeting to a specific target market that cost is negligible or no big deal.

There are a lot of hikers/backpackers that would love the 750 gram reduction in weight.

I don't think the Mavic is a replacement for the Phantom series, but a different tool for a specific job/need.
I've already listed my P3 rig on eBay. Once I saw what the Mavic has to offer, I see no reason why on earth anyone would even consider buying a Phantom. DJI couldn't give those away now that the Mavic is in the lineup.

From my perspective (granted, my experience is limited to watching videos and reading reviews), the Mavic Pro is a superset of the Phantom 4 -- it does everything the Phantom 4 does but in a much more sophisticated way, plus a whole lot more. The foldable form factor ALONE is enough to eclipse the Phantom (which now seems like a big, white brick), but the enhanced obstacle avoidance, PS4-like controller, racing mode, hovering stability and precision return to home, OcuSync, battery life (and cost), tripod mode, gesture support, level headedness, redundant sensors... I'm getting tired just typing all the ways the Mavic is superior.

On the contrary, there is literally nothing (of which I'm aware) about the Phantom 4 that trumps the Mavic.

So, the way I see it: Phantom is dead -- long live Mavic!

I think that's the whole point of this aircraft. Once you start toting around a large tablet, it's not as compact and easy to carry anymore. Folks who want to tote around tablets should probably sit back and wait for the P5 to come out. It'll no doubt come packed with all of the new Mavic features.

I really can't imagine DJI continuing the Phantom line now that Mavic is out. If there is a Phantom 5, I'll be very surprised. I think the P4 is the last iteration of the Phantom.

I actually had a pre order in for the mavic and had sold my p3 pro. But after lots of debating...i went for the p4. The whole issue on the mavic being non user serviceable scares me.. and the lack of parts right off the hop is a scary thought. None of us plan on crashing or needing to service our toys...but in reality it happens and i dont want to have to deal with dji all the time. Besides.. the p4 is a nice step up for me and was cheaper as well!

Well, you just disproved my theory with this post. I honestly didn't think anyone would even consider buying a Phantom 4 (unless the price were cut in half or more) now that they've seen the future with Mavic.

I suspect that the P4 is dead, at least at its current price point. No one will buy a P4 over a Mavic at the current P4 prices. DJI probably had some info on the Karma and wanted to keep its position safe even if it meant throwing the P4 under the bus.

Very well stated -- and that's precisely what they did. I think it will end up being a very smart move in the long run, as the Mavic has essentially killed the Karma right out of the gate.

For me the most perplexing fact is that along with announcement of Mavic Pro, DJI has not permanently reduced price of Phantom 4. I just don't see a viable case where a new buyer would go to DJI storefront and choose currently discounted $1,200 P4 over comparable $999 Mavic.

Maybe, MAYBE if you have already invested thousands of dollars into Phantom platform, you would want to buy P4 to leverage your existing investments. But for new buyer, there is not a single scenario where they will overpay by $200-$400 to get an older, larger, heavier drone just for the sake of slightly larger FOV.

The only question that has not yet been answered for Mavic is how well does it survive collisions and how easy would it be to repair it in case of one. Obviously, if we find out that Mavic disintegrates into unrepairable mess where P4 takes it on a chin and keeps flying, the mood of these forums would change very quick.

As for existing P4 pilots, I don't see a burning need to upgrade. Mavic has not introduced significant capability upgrade, like smarter 360 degree obstacle avoidance or HDR zoomable camera to make existing Phantoms obsolete. But portability factor can not be denied and for me it's enough to plunge in, especially, since coming from P3A I would also enjoy a nice boost in resolution, steadier gimbal, stronger, longer video streaming connection and bunch of smart pilot modes with obstacle avoidance. Plus, I am very intrigued in FPV goggles, though we still don't know much about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DroneDad
the reason they've effectively killed off their P4 is because it was out of date the day it was released
the new typhoon H made it look crap with old technology.
sure the features were there but it was basically the same design .
I can only imagine the sheer terror at DJI when the typhoon was released just before the P4
I'm guessing that's why they've rushed through there prototype aka the Mavic.

Sent from my SM-G928F using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Yuneec Typhoon is nowhere near as polished a drone as the P4 is. There's an excellent albeit biased video of a head to head comparison of the 2. The yuneec lost out BIG time in objective testing. During a hover comparo the yuneec kept trying to fly away and had to be repeatedly repositioned manually. Thats not a bird I would buy... Oh and the range difference is ridiculous!

I've already listed my P3 rig on eBay. Once I saw what the Mavic has to offer, I see no reason why on earth anyone would even consider buying a Phantom. DJI couldn't give those away now that the Mavic is in the lineup.

From my perspective (granted, my experience is limited to watching videos and reading reviews), the Mavic Pro is a superset of the Phantom 4 -- it does everything the Phantom 4 does but in a much more sophisticated way, plus a whole lot more. The foldable form factor ALONE is enough to eclipse the Phantom (which now seems like a big, white brick), but the enhanced obstacle avoidance, PS4-like controller, racing mode, hovering stability and precision return to home, OcuSync, battery life (and cost), tripod mode, gesture support, level headedness, redundant sensors... I'm getting tired just typing all the ways the Mavic is superior.

On the contrary, there is literally nothing (of which I'm aware) about the Phantom 4 that trumps the Mavic.

So, the way I see it: Phantom is dead -- long live Mavic!

Perphaps, perhaps not.

To me, besides the obvious portability (and that one is HUGE) and range, nothing is truly new or revolutionary about the Mavic, I think there is some clever marketing on DJI's behalf done over re-branding of the features already in place in the P4. This is what I posted earlier on or maybe in some other thread:

"So I've been reading the online documentation listing the various firmware updates changelogs for the P4 and found the below interesting stuff:
  • Added support for recognizing non-human subjects.
Isn't this the advertised 'improved' Active Track as described HERE? Described as "The Mavic has been trained to detect and recognize a number of common subjects including people, bike riders, vehicles and even animals."
  • Optimized altitude adjustment logic so that the aircraft automatically adjusts its altitude according to changes in terrain while using ActiveTrack (available when the aircraft is flying within 10 meters of the ground).
Isn't this the much advertised "Level Headed" feature? If possible in ActiveTrack (never tried it) I don't see why it can't be added to another mode. I don't see why the P4 wouldn't get Trace, Profile and Spotlight Mode too."

As far as technological advances go, it's obvious that at the pace things go, 6 Months is a relatively long period of time but I doubt this was the scheduled lifespan of the P4 in DJI's product line. Both drones have been carefully designed and their marketting strategy planned. So I believe DJI still has plans for the series and even the existing models as proven in the past.

Reactions: Big Dog
No, the timing of the Mavic release was planned in accordance with the GoPro. They wanted to make sure they had the upper hand before GoPro could gain market share. This is worth far more than the limited cannabalization of the Phantom series. In other words, to stay squarely on top, DJI was more than willing to sacrifice the Phantom in order to push forward into 2017 with the Mavic.

Again, the portability and size of the Mavic cannot be overstated. It's an ENORMOUS leap forward. Honestly, it makes the Phantom look like a big, white, wounded duck in comparison.

Well, you just disproved my theory with this post. I honestly didn't think anyone would even consider buying a Phantom 4 (unless the price were cut in half or more) now that they've seen the future with Mavic.

I just can't understand that line of thinking. From my standpoint, it's the same decision as laptop computer vs desktop computer for the same price. I agree that the Mavic is at least half of the future of consumer/prosumer UAS, but no way do I see it as the only future. There will always be compact and full-size drones.

Reactions: Big Dog
I'm also surprised there wasn't a price drop for the P4. I pulled the trigger today on the Mavic. I originally thought about selling my P3A, though I think I'll keep it now. The Mavic will be an option in some cases where lugging around my P3 would be more cumbersome.

If I had a P4 already, not sure if I'd make the jump, however it's a moot point.

Ultimately, each of us will make our own decision on whether or not to buy the Mavic. I respect those individual choices, and won't presume to know why your reasons are or aren't valid.

For me the most perplexing fact is that along with announcement of Mavic Pro, DJI has not permanently reduced price of Phantom 4. I just don't see a viable case where a new buyer would go to DJI storefront and choose currently discounted $1,200 P4 over comparable $999 Mavic.

Maybe, MAYBE if you have already invested thousands of dollars into Phantom platform, you would want to buy P4 to leverage your existing investments. But for new buyer, there is not a single scenario where they will overpay by $200-$400 to get an older, larger, heavier drone just for the sake of slightly larger FOV.

The only question that has not yet been answered for Mavic is how well does it survive collisions and how easy would it be to repair it in case of one. Obviously, if we find out that Mavic disintegrates into unrepairable mess where P4 takes it on a chin and keeps flying, the mood of these forums would change very quick.

As for existing P4 pilots, I don't see a burning need to upgrade. Mavic has not introduced significant capability upgrade, like smarter 360 degree obstacle avoidance or HDR zoomable camera to make existing Phantoms obsolete. But portability factor can not be denied and for me it's enough to plunge in, especially, since coming from P3A I would also enjoy a nice boost in resolution, steadier gimbal, stronger, longer video streaming connection and bunch of smart pilot modes with obstacle avoidance. Plus, I am very intrigued in FPV goggles, though we still don't know much about them.

Perphaps, perhaps not.

To me, besides the obvious portability (and that one is HUGE) and range, nothing is truly new or revolutionary about the Mavic, I think there is some clever marketing on DJI's behalf done over re-branding of the features already in place in the P4. This is what I posted earlier on or maybe in some other thread:

"So I've been reading the online documentation listing the various firmware updates changelogs for the P4 and found the below interesting stuff:
  • Added support for recognizing non-human subjects.
Isn't this the advertised 'improved' Active Track as described HERE? Described as "The Mavic has been trained to detect and recognize a number of common subjects including people, bike riders, vehicles and even animals."
  • Optimized altitude adjustment logic so that the aircraft automatically adjusts its altitude according to changes in terrain while using ActiveTrack (available when the aircraft is flying within 10 meters of the ground).
Isn't this the much advertised "Level Headed" feature? If possible in ActiveTrack (never tried it) I don't see why it can't be added to another mode. I don't see why the P4 wouldn't get Trace, Profile and Spotlight Mode too."

As far as technological advances go, it's obvious that at the pace things go, 6 Months is a relatively long period of time but I doubt this was the scheduled lifespan of the P4 in DJI's product line. Both drones have been carefully designed and their marketting strategy planned. So I believe DJI still has plans for the series and even the existing models as proven in the past.

I for one hope you're right. I mean come on ppl. It annoys me that ppl are bashing the phantom series all of a sudden. P2v was my first "real" drone and I fell absolutely in love with it. If I owned a p4 I would definitely keep it. Hell im keeping my p3a. I preordered a mavic but don't think for one second I won't buy a p4 if the price and/or opportunity presents itself. Just a short time ago we all fell in love with the concept features and look of p4. I couldn't afford it at the time of release but I fantasized plenty about owning one. So if they make a p5 or whatever it may be called I'm sure I'll want one of those. No matter what the future holds for dji there will always be a place in my heart and house for a phantom!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I just can't understand that line of thinking. From my standpoint, it's the same decision as laptop computer vs desktop computer for the same price. I agree that the Mavic is at least half of the future of consumer/prosumer UAS, but no way do I see it as the only future. There will always be compact and full-size drones.

That's not a bad analogy, but it would be like comparing a last generation desktop with a latest generation, high-end ultrabook with a faster processor, more memory, and more features. In this scenario, why would you ever buy the desktop? It makes no sense. It has zero advantages and a whole host of disadvantages. That's why I'm saying that there is really no reason for DJI to continue the Phantom line. It's inferior in every way.

Personally, I think they should collapse the Inspire series onto the Mavic platform as well -- add super high-end camera(s) and other more professional features that a pro would value.

That's not a bad analogy, but it would be like comparing a last generation desktop with a latest generation, high-end ultrabook with a faster processor, more memory, and more features. In this scenario, why would you ever buy the desktop? It makes no sense. It has zero advantages and a whole host of disadvantages. That's why I'm saying that there is really no reason for DJI to continue the Phantom line. It's inferior in every way.

Personally, I think they should collapse the Inspire series onto the Mavic platform as well -- add super high-end camera(s) and other more professional features that a pro would value.
Yes...unless DJI brings out a more advanced feature set on the upcoming Phantom 5. Tech companies repeatedly leapfrog other models in their lineup. It's like saying that Apple might as well just ditch the whole iPad lineup because the iPhone 7 is smaller and outperforms virtually all the iPads. Don't you think that, maybe, Apple will just bring out their new iPad with capabilities that that iPhone 7 just doesn't have?

It makes no sense for DJI to lock themselves into one form factor and commit their future to a drone whose sole benefit is it's size and foldability, which in turn will likely limit the degree of technology that can be applied.

Yes...unless DJI brings out a more advanced feature set on the upcoming Phantom 5. Tech companies repeatedly leapfrog other models in their lineup. It's like saying that Apple might as well just ditch the whole iPad lineup because the iPhone 7 is smaller and outperforms virtually all the iPads. Don't you think that, maybe, Apple will just bring out their new iPad with capabilities that that iPhone 7 just doesn't have?

It makes no sense for DJI to lock themselves into one form factor and commit their future to a drone whose sole benefit is it's size and foldability, which in turn will likely limit the degree of technology that can be applied.

The iPhone/iPad comparison doesn't really work in this case. The form factors of those 2 products are the primary distinguishing characteristic. They do the same thing -- one is just bigger than the other. The Phantom series cannot do what the Mavic can do -- namely fold up into a very small, highly portable format. And no, I do not think a smaller footprint will limit the degree of technology that can be applied. If anything, the technology components will continue to get smaller and lighter. A couple of years from now, the Mavic will look like a flying brick in comparison to the latest drones.

I really can't imagine DJI continuing the Phantom line now that Mavic is out. If there is a Phantom 5, I'll be very surprised. I think the P4 is the last iteration of the Phantom.
Of course there will be a Phantom line..

Next version will maybe have a lot better camera. better flighttime. more advanced modes etc. bigger aircraft, more room for better features :)

Time will tell!

Time will tell for sure. My money is on the official death of the Phantom line, but I've certainly been wrong before.

I'm just happy to see the innovation in the industry. Now some of the other players like Yuneec, 3DR, etc. need to keep upping the ante.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj