Mavic vs Phantom 4

How many times have you hand caught a Mavic? How many people here have this experience?

I fail to understand how you can comment, or expect others to comment, when there has been 0 real world experience. To me, cliff diving looks easy.... so it must be.

Don't you just love all these crazy posts about what you can and can't do with mavic. Hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Dinerve
My time is pretty short so this Mavic is a bucket list thing for me I am new as well and I am in just for the experience I might save cliff diving for the bottom of my list The very very bottom right next to hippo wrestling

Reactions: Wacker2611
Sure the camera sensor is the same, the battery lasts longer, its flies farther, you get 1080p downstreaming for farther, its the size of the phantom when packed with a charger and 4 batteries.... but you can't hand catch. At least we phantom owners have hand catching guys!

uQX9eG.gif
sSyTZl.gif

Oh snap never mind. I guess the only reason not to get one is that you don't see that the improvements or personal marginal benefits outweigh the cost.
-A P3P lurker who preorded a mavic because I had the funds to. edit: and i got tired of lugging my hard case along with my camera to and from airports and shoots.

Last edited:
Very well stated -- and that's precisely what they did. I think it will end up being a very smart move in the long run, as the Mavic has essentially killed the Karma right out of the gate.

I really don't think so... I think the Karma will be fine. It does things the Mavic can't do.. With one Camera you can fly, strap it to your helmet, make it a stedicam or go scuba. One camera does it all. It is a GoPro product and GoPro has more products than DJI. I have three myself and they are really good cameras. I know UAVs though and know that the Mavic is going to be a solid product. I'm wiling to bet your average GoPro user doesn't know and doesn't care about that. All they know is it's another accessory to their current action cam.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm just happy to see the innovation in the industry. Now some of the other players like Yuneec, 3DR, etc. need to keep upping the ante.

You can take 3DR off the list. They are done

Heres my take, the main selling point of mavic is it being compact. But u never really go anywhere with just the drone, there are extra batteries charger etc. When u pack those in around the phantom then whether it can fold or not only decreases overall size a little as the accessories take up space as well.so if u pack it well the 2 fully packed bags may end up being similar in size

Sent from my SM-N9208 using PhantomPilots mobile app
But if you bring P4 with extra batteries you may need two bags

But if you bring P4 with extra batteries you may need two bags
I travel with p4 4 batteries wind surfer, a 4in1 charger car charger (which is about 3x standard charger size) extra props, filter and sd card box and it all fits in an aftermarket turtle shell backpack which fits airplane carryon

With a mavic it would be lighter and smaller pack for sure, but it wouldn.t be like in the videos where everyone only ever shows the mavic and the controller no assessories and they show it kind of hanging out of their large pants pocket.
The implication in the review videos is it is like 10x smaller than p4, but i reckon in reality when packed with equivalent gear to have the same capabilities/flight times it won.t be anything like that

I.m also fascinated by the controller battery life. For those of us who fly 4+ batteries it is quite handy that the p4 controller has so much power i never have to worry about the controller or my tablet running out of battery.
The mavic controller is so small i doubt it has enough power to last many flights and keep a phone/tablet charged. We will have to wait till real users get it and review it rather than celebrity reviewers who have been specially selected to know about this one

I travel with p4 4 batteries wind surfer, a 4in1 charger car charger (which is about 3x standard charger size) extra props, filter and sd card box and it all fits in an aftermarket turtle shell backpack which fits airplane carryon

With a mavic it would be lighter and smaller pack for sure, but it wouldn.t be like in the videos where everyone only ever shows the mavic and the controller no assessories and they show it kind of hanging out of their large pants pocket.
The implication in the review videos is it is like 10x smaller than p4, but i reckon in reality when packed with equivalent gear to have the same capabilities/flight times it won.t be anything like that

I.m also fascinated by the controller battery life. For those of us who fly 4+ batteries it is quite handy that the p4 controller has so much power i never have to worry about the controller or my tablet running out of battery.
The mavic controller is so small i doubt it has enough power to last many flights and keep a phone/tablet charged. We will have to wait till real users get it and review it rather than celebrity reviewers who have been specially selected to know about this one

Your comment is so full of misinformation that I'm not even gonna address it.

Reactions: kmaluo
Juat saw the a review in another thread. The mavic controller doesnt charge the phone

It starts charging then stops so u will need a well charged phone

http://www.phantompilots.com/index.php?posts/771558/

Your p4 remote is not charging your device. This is a common misconception but it surely does not.

Yeah it doesnt increase the power level in my note 5 but it seems to stop the power going down ie i can fly for as long as i want without phone power level droppping

The other review showed the mavic controller power to phone shutting off

I wonder if there is a cable that allows data thru mavic controller that splits so u can get power from a battery bank for those who fly alot of batteries

Another thing to consider. You can sit and watch videos on a phone for a couple hours. Plenty of time to fly. Plus I'm sure most of us will have a dedicated device for our mavic.

Another thing to consider. You can sit and watch videos on a phone for a couple hours. Plenty of time to fly. Plus I'm sure most of us will have a dedicated device for our mavic.

Yes i think a dedicated device that is fully cahrfed will be what is needed for flyers who fly multiple batteries. The question will be if the controller battery can handle multiple flights.

Its got half the mAhrs of the p4 controller

But there is a new lightbridge system so obviously this could go either way in terms of battery usage we will just have to wait and see

Yes i think a dedicated device that is fully cahrfed will be what is needed for flyers who fly multiple batteries. The question will be if the controller battery can handle multiple flights.

Its got half the mAhrs of the p4 controller

But there is a new lightbridge system so obviously this could go either way in terms of battery usage we will just have to wait and see

Indeed.

Hey guys, found some really interesting info about the tech in our birds. Mainly their CPUs.

The company that makes them is called Movidius and the platform both birds share is the same, called Myriad 2...

Mavic seems to have a more recent version of it, which is more power efficient and a tad more powerful.

Some info around the Mavic and the Phantom can be found below, although I recommend navigating the site, what they are working on is quite amazing.

DJI Unveils Mavic Pro Drone, Powered by Movidius | Machine Vision Technology | Movidius

Surely upcoming birds will be following Movidius's roadmap so exciting times ahead!

For me it's very simple. I love my P4. I saw the mavic and I like it. I ordered one. That's all folks!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Lol most of us here, myself included, will just buy it too. We talk rubbish but we.ll still buy it

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic