Mavic vs Phantom 4

Is anyone talking about the fact that you seem to have to use a smart phone to view where you are flying. Now, I have he luxury of using an iPad mini that fits very nicely in my P3P RC. I would really hate to lose that nice big screen and go to my iPhone with the Mavic. Thoughts ??

Reactions: Eddyfisher
Is anyone talking about the fact that you seem to have to use a smart phone to view where you are flying.
I think that's the whole point of this aircraft. Once you start toting around a large tablet, it's not as compact and easy to carry anymore. Folks who want to tote around tablets should probably sit back and wait for the P5 to come out. It'll no doubt come packed with all of the new Mavic features.

Reactions: kmaluo and SamC
I believe that the Mavic features and market positioning allows DJI to enhance the P4 significantly and come out with a P5 soon. It should be a real step up in picture/video quality, and they should position that product a bit more in between the current P4 and where the Inspire is now. I think a $1799 Phantom that would include a much better camera and the Occulink and a bit smaller controller could be very appealing, and fits nicely in their product line up.

i would like to know the same thing for 750 ill buy one tomarrow.... i have a fpv mariner for sale thats a water proff drone if anyone is interested....

lol, my eyes fell wright out when i saw the $750 ...almost waz going to run for pencil and paper to get the 'where to purchase' info

Is anyone talking about the fact that you seem to have to use a smart phone to view where you are flying. Now, I have he luxury of using an iPad mini that fits very nicely in my P3P RC. I would really hate to lose that nice big screen and go to my iPhone with the Mavic. Thoughts ??

Precisely! That, to me, is the "Mavic Killer" that the P4 still retains if you're trying to make video rather than use a drone as an accessory while hiking/backpacking/etc... a nice large screen that fits into the RC. I actually use an iPad Air2 so I can have the most screen real-estate I can and still have the device fit on the RC bracket. I really love being able to see the details of the shot the drone is getting without squinting!

I personally think that DJI freaked out when the Karma was announced. My theory is that they had the Mavic (and likely it's follow-on) developed - or nearly so - and threw their marketing plan in the trash when they got some feedback on the market's reaction to Karma. I'd never buy a Karma - simply because I don't like the fisheye "Go Pro" look for the video I take. However, for a large number of potential customers, that doesn't matter. In rolling out Mavic in a knee-jerk reaction to Karma, I suspect DJI really hacked off a ton of dealers who had just purchased an inventory of P4's and are now looking at selling them at break-even or at a loss because the vast majority of the customers will want a Mavic. Similarly, they hacked off a bunch of P4 owners who DO use it in a way where Mavic's smaller size would be a real plus.

We don't have $750 P4's today... but I suspect we will soon. If everything they say about Mavic is otherwise true, looking at its specs, it's a folding P4 in pretty much every respect. If I didn't have a P4, I'd take a really hard look at the Mavic and except for the device-holder on the RC, I'd probably give the remaining nods to the Mavic. Dammit! :)

I suspect that the P4 is dead, at least at its current price point. No one will buy a P4 over a Mavic at the current P4 prices. DJI probably had some info on the Karma and wanted to keep its position safe even if it meant throwing the P4 under the bus.

I think they were probably working on this long before Go Pro. A more portable drone is an obvious progression, and this doesn't appear to be a slapped together "me too" product. Someday soon a waterproof drone will likely be mainstream as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Dirty Bird
I suspect that you are not familiar with product development. Intelligence regarding competitors is part of the business. Go Pro may have had initiated the Karma program years ago, DJI may have found out about it years ago. We (I am with a company that manufactures rotary and fixed wing defense/special forces UASs) know what our competitor's new programs are through employees we hire that were formerly with competitors and, as silly as it sounds, through discussions at a bar during trade shows. We currently have a UAS that can land on water and take underwater video, but it costs 40K euros. Once DJI builds something like that, we are in trouble, and we know it.

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
Im sure there are pros and cons to mavic/p4 comparison. If the mavic is just generally better than the p4, they basically obsoleted their own product. Who knows, if the manufacturing/profit margins are better, which would warrant a move to obsolete the p4.
the reason they've effectively killed off their P4 is because it was out of date the day it was released
the new typhoon H made it look crap with old technology.
sure the features were there but it was basically the same design .
I can only imagine the sheer terror at DJI when the typhoon was released just before the P4
I'm guessing that's why they've rushed through there prototype aka the Mavic.

Sent from my SM-G928F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I actually had a pre order in for the mavic and had sold my p3 pro. But after lots of debating...i went for the p4. The whole issue on the mavic being non user serviceable scares me.. and the lack of parts right off the hop is a scary thought. None of us plan on crashing or needing to service our toys...but in reality it happens and i dont want to have to deal with dji all the time. Besides.. the p4 is a nice step up for me and was cheaper as well!

Sent from my SM-N920C using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oh I know how it works, and this is all speculation on your part as well as mine. I'm pretty sure the leader in this category of drones might of thought about creating something more portable without go pro. This looks to be a great product and I bought one. Can't wait for waterproof to become a reality at hobbyist's price point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
the reason they've effectively killed off their P4 is because it was out of date the day it was released
the new typhoon H made it look crap with old technology.
sure the features were there but it was basically the same design .
I can only imagine the sheer terror at DJI when the typhoon was released just before the P4
I'm guessing that's why they've rushed through there prototype aka the Mavic.

Sent from my SM-G928F using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Typhoon H made the Phantom 4 look like what??? DJI's sheer terror? What are you on about?? lol

Reactions: marcel79
Mavic, huh? Just another new toy to fill the consumer driven cash flow basket of DJI. Look at Apple iPhones. Every 6 months or so, they bring out a device with a new add-on, and millions of young'ens rush to buy it. Those who are happy with their phone, drone, camera, etc,will stay with that, but like Apple, there are those who must-have the latest gadget. I have a P3Pro and very happy with it, but I'm holding off getting a bigger bird until to has a 6-way - Left, Right, Front and Back Under and Above avoidance system and a camera in the nose, to allow the pilot to fly the bird as though he's in the 'cockpit' I know I will be waiting along time but surely, why won't DJI or Yuneec do now? It can be done so why not just do it?

Saw a few videos of the Mav vs the P4 and I will say video quality is king to me and the P4 has better video quality to me . Now had DJI put the same camera and better follow me or an active track mode in , one that doesn't loose the subject after going 25 mph , i would be a MAV owner . I would hope the updated versions of follow me will go as fast as the subject wants it to go . Follow me is good for walking, riding a bicycle and a lot of other things that are non motorized , but after 22 mph the drone falls way behind and looses track. But the P4 camera puts my go pro 3 to shame , still trying to get ovre how clear and life like the recording are

Simple question: Where is the P4 superior to the Mavic?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair