Mavic vs Phantom 4

this video is telling about the video quality difference between the P4 and the new mavic.

After he posted the above video, he confirmed the focus was not set properly on his Mavic. Therefore, these results are not a good representation of the Mavic.

The Mavic folding size is great for backpacking, the specs look good on paper. What I don't like, is that for me, I need sometimes to hand catch because the landing is a no go, forget hand catch with mavic,...

Why forget hand catch with the Mavic? Several videos I have seen have shown people hand-catching the Mavic. One reviewer actually said that it was easier because it was so much more stable.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
After he posted the above video, he confirmed the focus was not set properly on his Mavic. Therefore, these results are not a good representation of the Mavic.
Indeed! Mavic has an adjustable Focus, unlike the P4!:cool:
If set correctly, it will actually be sharper than the P4, depending upon the subject distance. Sensors are identical.

Is the Mavic worth getting over the Phantom 4?
The Mavic is just a P4 in a very small form. If you never hike for miles, or ski, snowshoe, snowmobile, dirtbike, motorcycle, skateboard, etc... or for that matter you hardly ever take photos or video when you travel, then you have zero need for the Mavic. If you're going to drive to your flying location or just film the roof of your house, then portability is not an issue, so then the P4 is the option.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The Mavic is just a P4 in a very small form. If you never hike for miles, or ski, snowshoe, snowmobile, dirtbike, motorcycle, skateboard, etc... or for that matter you hardly ever take photos or video when you travel, then you have zero need for the Mavic. If you're going to drive to your flying location or just film the roof of your house, then portability is not an issue, so then the P4 is the option.
When the results are the same, portability and deployability is always a benefit. If you brought along the Mavic in a small shoulder bag, just in case, because the backpack needed for the P4 was too unwieldy, the best camera is always the one you have with you. The Mavic is to your P4 what your iPhone 7 Plus is to your DSLR, with no compromises! It will always be with you, because, why not?? :cool: You can even slip the Mavic into your golf bag during your round! Try that with your P4! RIP, P4.

Reactions: Gadger
You don't need the app to fly the mavic; you can fly with just the controller.
Or you can fly completely without the controller, using only the app on your Smartphone, via an 80m Wifi range, so you can even leave the controller at home, and go commando! :p

When? This is the second mavic video he posted just today. Where did he confirm this at?

Well i guess i will stick to yhe p4 until i see video thats better than the p4. The video that starts this thread is bad. And only 80 meters?? Thats not even the distance of a football field.
Ron

And only 80 meters?? Thats not even the distance of a football field.
Ron

That's without the controller only using your phone through wifi. The quoted range with controller is over 4 miles.

Why forget hand catch with the Mavic? Several videos I have seen have shown people hand-catching the Mavic. One reviewer actually said that it was easier because it was so much more stable.
I held my P4 by the legs and told my wife to hit the gas, this small bird can pull pretty hard, grabing the mavic by the sides and with all going well fine but if for some reason you would yaw or hit the gas I think it would be very hard to hold by just pinching the sides. For me holding so close to the props by pinching the sides is too risky.

Last edited:
That's without the controller only using your phone through wifi. The quoted range with controller is over 4 miles.
Indeed! The Wifi range is simply a lightweight alternative with virtual joysticks on the iPhone screen, much like the original Parrot for close-in spontaneous flights. When you want P4 distance, crank up the tiny, fully featured remote, and fly out 4.1 miles!:cool:

Here is a link to a Mavic 4K video, straight from the camera, posted on YouTube by bladestrike of DJI. Watch in full 4K. It will make a believer out of you. Camera correctly focused!

I held my P4 by the legs and told my wife to hit the gas, this small bird can pull pretty hard, grabing the mavic by the sides and with all going well fine but if for some reason you would yaw or hit the gas I think it would be very hard to hold by just pinching the sides. For me holding so close to the props by pinching the sides is too risky.
It weighs half of what a P4 weighs, yet is still stable in winds up to 23 mph.
Easy to grab the body in the middle from below, because the camera is up front, for hand launching and hand catching. The blades also fold in two, instead of being one stiff piece of plastic.

One thing I like is from all the video I have seen so far for the Mavic, there are no props in the footage. One thing that concerns me is having to use a phone and can't use a tablet. I am thinking glare is going to be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

One thing I like is from all the video I have seen so far for the Mavic, there are no props in the footage. One thing that concerns me is having to use a phone and can't use a tablet. I am thinking glare is going to be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Indeed! No props even in Sport mode, is a big benefit! Keep in mind that all the important telemetry is on the remote itself in a low res, sun friendly display, so readability is never an issue. The phone is used primarily for framing the camera and the app interface. A small sunshade between the remote and the phone should do the trick.

So I've been reading the online documentation listing the various firmware updates changelogs for the P4 and found the below interesting stuff:
  • Added support for recognizing non-human subjects.
Isn't this the advertised 'improved' Active Track as described HERE? Described as "The Mavic has been trained to detect and recognize a number of common subjects including people, bike riders, vehicles and even animals."
  • Optimized altitude adjustment logic so that the aircraft automatically adjusts its altitude according to changes in terrain while using ActiveTrack (available when the aircraft is flying within 10 meters of the ground).
Isn't this the much advertised "Level Headed" feature? If possible in ActiveTrack (never tried it) I don't see why it can't be added to another mode. I don't see why the P4 wouldn't get Trace, Profile and Spotlight Mode too.

Also, as per the FAQ for the MAVIC, DJI lists the below differences with the P4:

What’s the main difference between Mavic and Phantom 4?
The Mavic is smaller, lighter, and easier to carry with you thanks to its foldable design. Its new OcuSync transmission system has a longer transmission range and 1080p resolution. Due to its larger size, the Phantom 4 has a higher maximum speed and can withstand stronger winds.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20