Mavic POV vs Phantom 4 POV

Reaction score
Hi all.

Im a photographer and i need to buy my first drone.

My first thought was to buy the Phantom 4, but then the Mavic showed up. I like the Mavic size and portability, but im concerned about the pov.

The main difference is the focal length, POV, of the two cameras. 20mm on the P4, to 28mm on the Mavic.

I found a comparison - look something like this http://ifanr-cdn.b0.upaiyun.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/dji-mavic-fov.jpg

Im gonna use the drone to film large industrial halls, indoor and outdoor. And to make nice ariel establishing shots.

Dont you think the focal length of the MAvic is to narrow compared to the P4 ?

Thanks

I don't think it's a problem. I find the angle of the P4 a bit too wide for aerial photos with too much parallax and maybe the Magic will be better.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have a p4 with 4K cam. It takes awesome videos and pics, just wish it would turn cam 360 and zoom. Heck it might do that, I just found out how to use sport mode yesterday and it's been way to windy to fly.

Hi TonG

Parallax is the curvature of straight lines in photography. I do a lot of aerial photography where I stitch the images and I tend to rather take smaller segments to avoid big parallax errors. Also if you photograph buildings the sides of the image tends to 'bend' the lines. A fisheye camera will be an extreme example of high parallax. I'd rather have a slightly less wide lens for aerial work but if you do interior photography it's not always possible to get the big picture without a wide angle lens.

Hi TonG

Parallax is the curvature of straight lines in photography. I do a lot of aerial photography where I stitch the images and I tend to rather take smaller segments to avoid big parallax errors. Also if you photograph buildings the sides of the image tends to 'bend' the lines. A fisheye camera will be an extreme example of high parallax. I'd rather have a slightly less wide lens for aerial work but if you do interior photography it's not always possible to get the big picture without a wide angle lens.

Is there a Parallax issue with the camera mounted on the P4? Compared to most Gopro footage it looks near perfect. If there is an issue it must be a pretty small divergence. If you're using stills to stitch together doesn't most software take this out anyway? And if not, I'm sure Photoshop (or your equivalent) has a filter/effect to straighten it out. After all, you're not talking about a lot of work when you will probably average less than six or seven images to stitch together.

Maybe this can help you a bit?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: alanw2005
Hi rbarry12,

No there is no problem with the P4's camera. It is what it is but when stitching or doing aerial survey less parallax is better. I pay a lot of money for my Nikon lenses in an effort to loose parallax but sometimes it adds some flair to the image with wide angle lenses. So no problems with the P4 - I love mine.

Hi TonG

Thanks for explaining what you ment by parallax cause I Use the term for an other property: that if your lens and viewer are not in the same place you will see a different image through your viewer than captured by the lens.

By the way I fully agree with you regarding your choice of a longer lens to avoid curvature. But there is another point worth mentioned and that is the perspective distortion. Closer objects will be (much bigger} then further objects.The wider the lens the bigger this distortion will be.
I you want to fill your frame fully with an object (church) the nearby parts (towers etc) are over-exaggerated. Thats why I like a longer lens, I have to be further away from the object so the perspective distortion is less.

And if I want a bigger angle I will make a pano.

Reactions: rbarry12
Thanks for explaining what you ment by parallax cause I Use the term for an other property: that if your lens and viewer are not in the same place you will see a different image through your viewer than captured by the lens.

By the way I fully agree with you regarding your choice of a longer lens to avoid curvature. But there is another point worth mentioned and that is the perspective distortion. Closer objects will be (much bigger} then further objects.The wider the lens the bigger this distortion will be.
I you want to fill your frame fully with an object (church) the nearby parts (towers etc) are over-exaggerated. Thats why I like a longer lens, I have to be further away from the object so the perspective distortion is less.

And if I want a bigger angle I will make a pano.

The focal length of the human eye is approx 22-24mm. Due to the curvature of the eye this equates to just over that of a 50mm lens on a full frame (35mm) camera sensor, to achieve the effect of the scale and geometry of how we perceive the world, although at a much narrower field of view. Given an aps sized image sensor, then the lens needed to achieve the same result would have to be nearer 30mm. Not sure how the maths works out with the Mavic sensor and lens focal length, but I guess its not a million miles out.

The P4 already has 360° pan & zoom.

Pan with the left stick. Zoom with the right.

I have a p4 with 4K cam. It takes awesome videos and pics, just wish it would turn cam 360 and zoom. Heck it might do that, I just found out how to use sport mode yesterday and it's been way to windy to fly.

TonG & Rbarry12,

Correct. Either way I can't wait to try out the Mavic- especially in windy conditions.

Hi all.

Im a photographer and i need to buy my first drone.

My first thought was to buy the Phantom 4, but then the Mavic showed up. I like the Mavic size and portability, but im concerned about the pov.

The main difference is the focal length, POV, of the two cameras. 20mm on the P4, to 28mm on the Mavic.

I found a comparison - look something like this http://ifanr-cdn.b0.upaiyun.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/dji-mavic-fov.jpg

Im gonna use the drone to film large industrial halls, indoor and outdoor. And to make nice ariel establishing shots.

Dont you think the focal length of the MAvic is to narrow compared to the P4 ?

Thanks
You might need the wider 94 degree FOV if you plan to do a lot of indoor work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.