Mavic or Phantom?

Reaction score
Hi

I have never had a drone but would like one and am trying to find out which will suit my needs best. I must have the best (within resonable price) quality video and stills in 4K. I also need a fairly failsafe setup to prevent accidents etc. Distance covered not too critical as I just wish mainly to get a higher viewpoint from what I normally take my photos/video. In particular will be shooting steam railway locations, so a little bit of movement tracking. But mainly landscapes and fairly 'static' subjects. As mentioned I need good quality output and do a lot of hi-def HDR's with my DSLRs and 4K video. I read that some stills from drones are not as good as can be due to the fixed F2.8 lens. So, could anyone suggest the best model to go for between say the Mavic Pro and Phantom 3/4 Pro? Or any other make that would be good to look at.
Thanks.

Barry

I read that some stills from drones are not as good as can be due to the fixed F2.8 lens. So, could anyone suggest the best model to go for between say the Mavic Pro and Phantom 3/4 Pro? Or any other make that would be good to look at.
If you want the best drone/camera in this class, that is the P4pro.
Photographically, it's a huge step beyond previous models with a 4x bigger sensor and a real aperture.
The Mavic is good and wins points for compact design but the P4 pro is hands down the best image quality without spending much more and getting a big, heavy, awkward Inspire 2 with an expensive additional camera.

Reactions: barrykap
Hi Barry,
I was in the exact same position you were before Christmas and I went with a P4P over a Mavic pro even though I had ordered one already. I want online and watched every possible review of it since it had just come out not long before and it was very clear that the P4P was superior in aerial imaging. I think that down the road when my wife is recovered from what I spent on this I might possibly look into buying a Mavic too. They are just too cool!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

In my mind, may I add that I think the real question is whether you buy a P4P or a P4P+. I bought the P4P+ and I am extremely happy with my purchase, but the drawback is you could not use third-party apps with it like you can if you have P4P. Hoping that DJI will release the ground station for android to solve the problem because you can't use Litchi or the iOS ground station with the P4P+.

Last edited:
I've got the P3P and a Mavic Pro, both are absolutely excellent. The Phantom is now my home drone, and the Mavic travels with me, there's no equal to the Mavic if you hike/walk as it's tiny. If I did replace one of them it would be the P3P for a P4P (if money was no object), the camera is outstanding, particularly in low light.

Steam railways.... sounds like IRON and STEAL. You won't be able to turn drone on sitting on a rail or tie, compass will complain, so step to the side a little.
definitely SECOND drone to video first drone flying through the steam cloud as the props swirl the mist.

In my mind, may I add that I think the real question is whether you buy a P4P or a P4P+. I bought the P4P+ and I am extremely happy with my purchase, but the drawback is you could not use third-party apps with it like you can if you have P4P. Hoping that DJI will release the ground station for android to solve the problem because you can't use Litchi or the iOS ground station with the P4P+.

Thanks all. Feez; Your comments were exactly how I was thinking. ie I already have two tablets which I never use so have the display already and the advantage as you say of any add-on apps. I was wondering if this method (using a tablet) is totally reliable compared to the Plus integrated display?

I was wondering if this method (using a tablet) is totally reliable compared to the Plus integrated display?
It should be the most reliable method since you can swap it out if you ever run into any trouble with your tablet. If the screen stops working on the P4P+ remote controller, you'll need to send it in to DJI to be repaired.

It should be the most reliable method since you can swap it out if you ever run into any trouble with your tablet. If the screen stops working on the P4P+ remote controller, you'll need to send it in to DJI to be repaired.

how many p4p+ gorilla glass screen protectors do you see at best buy or wallmart?

how many p4p+ gorilla glass screen protectors do you see at best buy or wallmart?
Probably none. What's your point? That there aren't accessories available for the P4P+ screen?

Get a phantom if durability and camera quality mean more to you. Mavic is definitely more portable but likely that one bad crash will break it. You can wreck a phantom several times over before you need major fixing. That has been my personal experience at least.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yep Matt. I need a good camera and being a noobie maybe a durable and safety-conscious controller. Presume the P4P is even less accident-prone than others with the advanced sensors etc. My mind is made up now thanks all. P4P for me! :)

Get a phantom if durability and camera quality mean more to you. Mavic is definitely more portable but likely that one bad crash will break it. You can wreck a phantom several times over before you need major fixing. That has been my personal experience at least.

Hi Matt, the Mavic is more durable than it appears, plenty of evidence of this on YouTube, it's light weight and folding props are a help, it seems.

Hi Matt, the Mavic is more durable than it appears, plenty of evidence of this on YouTube, it's light weight and folding props are a help, it seems.

That's interesting. I guess that makes sense because you can just throw it in a backpack.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72