Map Pilot extortion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I purchased Map Pilot a couple years ago. I purchased both the standard version with ala carte upgrades like "Terrain Awareness" and "Moveable Homepoint" and "Cameraless Launch" etc. But then I ALSO purchased the full on Business Edition, which included ALL the bells and whistles. I never made a fuss over the fact that I was "double purchasing" a few features. I just let it go. As you can see in this screen shot, I have both versions of MapPilot. The "Pro" and the "Business."

1627337171725.png

I was not "leasing" or "renting" this software. I purchased it. Outright.

Fast Forward a couple years. After purchasing the business version, which includes "Terrain Awareness," and also purchasing "Terrain Awareness" ala carte in the Pro version, this pops up today. Location was @ 33.xxxxx° latitude.
1627337742552.png

So I go into "Settings," and find THIS!
1627337395898.png

WTF is this??? So I click on "Upgrade" and am prompted with this set of menu items:
1627337492365.png

1627337968318.png

I already purchase "Terrain Awareness" literally TWICE!!!

So I go to login to the MapPilot support portal to complain and find out what's going on and am shown this!! WTF?!

1627337583485.png

After "Restoring" my original "Terrain Awareness" purchase, it STILL doesn't work, and am given this message:
1627338432938.png

So after already purchasing TWO versions of MapPilot PLUS bells and whistles for the "Pro" version, I am:

1) Locked out of features I have already paid for.
2) Prompted to REPURCHASE features I have already purchased TWICE.
3) Am locked out of the support portal.

Yeah....put me on the guest list. After years of recommending this software, I can NO LONGER recommend MapPilot.

D

P.S. Even if I wanted to go with Map Pilot's new monthly/yearly service, I can't/won't because their software now demands the latest iOS. This forced upgrade removes all or most iOS hacking capabilities. Welcome to a world where companies collude to force you into their latest nazi-ware.

1627340153130.png

Last edited:
I only had the Map Pilot version with no addons for about a month (was just trying it out), then got the following email (about 6 weeks ago).

"As you may or may not have heard, Map Pilot has been end-of-lifed and will be replaced with the greatly improved Map Pilot Pro. Despite it being posted in the App Store listing and on your Maps Made Easy Dashboard since the beginning of the year, we realize that this change may come as a surprise."

"Your current copy of the app will continue to work but we can't guarantee all features will continue to function properly beyond May 15, 2021. Anything related to elevation/tile services, flight log syncing, mission syncing, and automated mission naming will cease to function at some point. As long as you are not using any of those features the basic functions should continue to operate until the end of the year."

"Due to various factors and in an effort to refocus on our map processing customers, we have added a subscription system to the Maps Made Easy processing service. This allows us greater flexibility in providing access to features and the ability to lower prices. As part of this change, we now provide free full-featured access to Map Pilot Pro for our subscribers and paid mapping customers. You can read about Map Pilot Pro here: Maps Made Easy - Map Pilot Pro"

"We value our Map Pilot users and hope you have enjoyed using the app's industry leading Terrain Awareness, Linear Flight Planning, and accurate data capture. We are proud to offer our most advanced users a discount for the new subscriptions that is equal or greater to the amount you have already paid for Map Pilot."

(username)50FOR6PRO
or
(username)30ANNUAL

"These codes will get you either 50% off your first 6 months of a monthly Maps Made Easy Pro-level subscription or 30% off the first year of an annual one. Both will let you keep using all of Map Pilot's great features as well as getting access to increased processing capabilities with Maps Made Easy for the best price available. These are the largest discounts that we will be offering for legacy users. The codes are valid for 7 days and are available exclusively to our Map Pilot users."

"If you are interested in continuing to use the Map Pilot features you have become accustomed to, download the Map Pilot Pro app and use one of the following coupon codes when upgrading in the 'Manage Subscription' section of your account Profile or hit the 'Upgrade Now' button on the Subscriptions page."

"Thanks for mapping with us,
Maps Made Easy"

Send them an email before getting too bent out of shape..... They may be total jerks or there may be a satisfactory ending. Please keep us apprised.
I've been locked out of their support portal (photo #6). I shan't be catering to their new support portal. They closed me out. So they can take a long walk off a short pier.

D

Last edited:
I only had the Map Pilot version with no addons for about a month (was just trying it out), then got the following email (about 6 weeks ago).

"As you may or may not have heard, Map Pilot has been end-of-lifed and will be replaced with the greatly improved Map Pilot Pro. Despite it being posted in the App Store listing and on your Maps Made Easy Dashboard since the beginning of the year, we realize that this change may come as a surprise."

"Your current copy of the app will continue to work but we can't guarantee all features will continue to function properly beyond May 15, 2021. Anything related to elevation/tile services, flight log syncing, mission syncing, and automated mission naming will cease to function at some point. As long as you are not using any of those features the basic functions should continue to operate until the end of the year."

"Due to various factors and in an effort to refocus on our map processing customers, we have added a subscription system to the Maps Made Easy processing service. This allows us greater flexibility in providing access to features and the ability to lower prices. As part of this change, we now provide free full-featured access to Map Pilot Pro for our subscribers and paid mapping customers. You can read about Map Pilot Pro here: Maps Made Easy - Map Pilot Pro"

"We value our Map Pilot users and hope you have enjoyed using the app's industry leading Terrain Awareness, Linear Flight Planning, and accurate data capture. We are proud to offer our most advanced users a discount for the new subscriptions that is equal or greater to the amount you have already paid for Map Pilot."

(username)50FOR6PRO
or
(username)30ANNUAL

"These codes will get you either 50% off your first 6 months of a monthly Maps Made Easy Pro-level subscription or 30% off the first year of an annual one. Both will let you keep using all of Map Pilot's great features as well as getting access to increased processing capabilities with Maps Made Easy for the best price available. These are the largest discounts that we will be offering for legacy users. The codes are valid for 7 days and are available exclusively to our Map Pilot users."

"If you are interested in continuing to use the Map Pilot features you have become accustomed to, download the Map Pilot Pro app and use one of the following coupon codes when upgrading in the 'Manage Subscription' section of your account Profile or hit the 'Upgrade Now' button on the Subscriptions page."

"Thanks for mapping with us,
Maps Made Easy"
Yep. "Greatly improved..." PFFFT! I call double-dog BS on that. The only "greatly improved feature" is their revenue stream.

The thing is that I almost wouldn't even mind going to a subscription-based business model provided older customers were grandfathered in with the older versions so they could keep their iOS AND their iPads! But they didn't do that. They just yanked the rug out from under all their customers. And they added insult to injury by pretty much demanding you purchase a new iPad. And if you talk to these people, they will actually justify this move like it's for OUR good. Maddening. What do they think? We're idiots?

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

I'll be looking at other mapping software options this week.

D

So I purchased Map Pilot a couple years ago. I purchased both the standard version with ala carte upgrades like "Terrain Awareness" and "Moveable Homepoint" and "Cameraless Launch" etc. But then I ALSO purchased the full on Business Edition, which included ALL the bells and whistles. I never made a fuss over the fact that I was "double purchasing" a few features. I just let it go. As you can see in this screen shot, I have both versions of MapPilot. The "Pro" and the "Business."

View attachment 122460

I was not "leasing" or "renting" this software. I purchased it. Outright.

Fast Forward a couple years. After purchasing the business version, which includes "Terrain Awareness," and also purchasing "Terrain Awareness" ala carte in the Pro version, this pops up today. Location was @ 33.xxxxx° latitude.
View attachment 122464

So I go into "Settings," and find THIS!
View attachment 122461

WTF is this??? So I click on "Upgrade" and am prompted with this set of menu items:
View attachment 122462

View attachment 122465

I already purchase "Terrain Awareness" literally TWICE!!!

So I go to login to the MapPilot support portal to complain and find out what's going on and am shown this!! WTF?!

View attachment 122463

After "Restoring" my original "Terrain Awareness" purchase, it STILL doesn't work, and am given this message:
View attachment 122466

So after already purchasing TWO versions of MapPilot PLUS bells and whistles for the "Pro" version, I am:

1) Locked out of features I have already paid for.
2) Prompted to REPURCHASE features I have already purchased TWICE.
3) Am locked out of the support portal.

Yeah....put me on the guest list. After years of recommending this software, I can NO LONGER recommend MapPilot.

D

P.S. Even if I wanted to go with Map Pilot's new monthly/yearly service, I can't/won't because their software now demands the latest iOS. This forced upgrade removes all or most iOS hacking capabilities. Welcome to a world where companies collude to force you into their latest nazi-ware.

View attachment 122467
Boy you have a lot of issues and one of them is our guidelines.
Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This community is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.
CLOSED​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31