Map location inncorrect.

Since RTH is only using the stored location that the Phantom recorded when you started it up, mobile tower/wifi issues won't affect it at all.

Not if you switch to dynamic home point, as far as I understand. I experimented with RTH, and the drone attempted to land 60-100 meters away from me and starting point in some cases in urban areas. Maybe I was just unlucky, but dynamic RTH can be affected by tower/wifi issues from what I can tell. What can possibly prevent that ? It doesn't look like DJI app is forcing satellite location, does it ?

Not if you switch to dynamic home point, as far as I understand. I experimented with RTH, and the drone attempted to land 60-100 meters away from me and starting point in some cases in urban areas. Maybe I was just unlucky, but dynamic RTH can be affected by tower/wifi issues from what I can tell. What can possibly prevent that ? It doesn't look like DJI app is forcing satellite location, does it ?
Very few users reset home to the location of the controller (there's no real dynamic homepoint)
Of course if you are using the location of a phone or tablet you need to ensure it is using GPS for location.
But all normal RTH relies only on the GPS location recorded by the Phantom using its own GPS.

Does this happen only in one particular location, or everywhere ?

This could be because the phone is using Wi-Fi and cellular networks in addition to GPS to determine your location, and they (if available) take precedence over GPS. That can create discrepancies with pure GPS coordinates when Wi-Fi access points and/or cellular towers get moved or obstructed. The drone only uses GPS and GLONASS. That is one of the reasons I don't trust automatic RTH.
Try disabling Wi-Fi/mobile networks in phone's location settings and switch to GPS only.

If on the other hand, you consistently get bad phone's location in GPS-only mode, your phone's GPS chip may be faulty.

That is incorrect. GPS positioning, when available, always takes precedence over the much less accurate wifi or cellular network position data.

Additionally, if network position data were being used to report position (because the GPS is off or not reporting properly), then the reported position would not change smoothly as the phone moved around the local area. The OP, however, reported normal position behavior with a constant offset.

And a faulty phone GPS chip does not seem to be a possible explanation if the other mapping apps on the phone all report position correctly.

Do you happen to be using Android app version 3.1.2 on your Moto? If so, you potentially may be seeing the bug in that version which presented as incorrect home point setting due to incorrect map location. It also messed up Follow Me because the app thought the RC was too far away. All the while, other mapping apps worked normally.

The issue impacted all models of P3 when using Android 3.1.2, but most people who reported it at that time noted a much bigger location delta than you are reporting. It was more like 1km off rather than the 75m you are noting, so chances are low that this is also your problem. Still, it's worth asking just in case to help check off all possibilities.

PLEASE READ: "Home Point Bug" may cause RTH issues

Good luck sir!
On version 3.1.6.[emoji20]

Does this happen only in one particular location, or everywhere ?

This could be because the phone is using Wi-Fi and cellular networks in addition to GPS to determine your location, and they (if available) take precedence over GPS. That can create discrepancies with pure GPS coordinates when Wi-Fi access points and/or cellular towers get moved or obstructed. The drone only uses GPS and GLONASS. That is one of the reasons I don't trust automatic RTH.
Try disabling Wi-Fi/mobile networks in phone's location settings and switch to GPS only.

If on the other hand, you consistently get bad phone's location in GPS-only mode, your phone's GPS chip may be faulty.
It's everywhere.[emoji20]

Strangely RTH is fine. I can callibrate the compass, the AC location is shown correctly, it's my location that's wrong. Home point is bang on. Is there a way to make my location the same as the home point?

Strangely RTH is fine. I can callibrate the compass, the AC location is shown correctly, it's my location that's wrong. Home point is bang on.
It's not strange that RTH works properly.
RTH only uses the home point recorded by the Phantom - it doesn't care about where your phone thinks it is.
Calibrating the compass won't affect anything to do with location or GPS - they are separate and unrelated.
Is there a way to make my location the same as the home point?
You could turn off location services for your phone.
The only things that use it are follow-me flight and resetting the home point to the controller's current location.
Everything else comes from the Phantom's own GPS.

Just binned DJI go and installed Litchi. No location problem. Come on DJI sort it out. Looked on the DJI forum and loads of people are having the same problem.

Just binned DJI go and installed Litchi. No location problem. Come on DJI sort it out. Looked on the DJI forum and loads of people are having the same problem.
If it was a DJI issue, every user would be seeing this (and they aren't)
Have you tried using a different phone or tablet to see what that does?

If it was a DJI issue, every user would be seeing this (and they aren't)
Have you tried using a different phone or tablet to see what that does?
Haven't been able to try another device yet. I do need it to work with my phone(it's new), so Litchi seems to be the answer.

I've been trying to resolve this for a while. As the title says, my location is always about 100m out. This stops me using follow me. Just updated DJI go but it's the same. Tried using different map apps. Strangely my position is correct if I use the map app directly ( not through DJI go). Using a Moto g5 plus.
Mine can be 3000 ft or more off. Here is the kicker, I hope this helps I have two identical samsung tab s one is off everytime when the blue location dot comes on the screen it can be up to a mile from my location, The other one is spot on everytime. This is with the gps location turned on on the tabs no difference in the tabs, yet one works fine and the other dosent, dont know why and can not figure it out, and I quit trying, I just shut the gps off on the one tab that dosent display correctly.

Reactions: Lee Clatworthy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak