Many issues are self induced.

350 flights on the P3 and 1000s on the S1000, not really that new [emoji3]
So experienced and this thread is your best contribution to the community?

Gee ...no thanks. Feel sorry for all the noobs you have so righteously judged.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Not judging at all. The initial post was about not putting fault with the unit only. Look at how you think and what you do before blaming your tools.

Not judging at all. The initial post was about not putting fault with the unit only. Look at how you think and what you do before blaming your tools.
That intent was lost in the first sentence with the "really?" Hence the reception this thread is getting.

Secondly there are numerous issues with dji firmware, app releases and communication.

When a "smart" battery goes into discharge mode and the craft subsequently shows clear to take off, should a user assume otherwise?

When video is lost constantly on the app and the only thing that changed was an app update should the user take the blame ?

You would have been far better off posting a truly helpful "best tips guide" based on your experiences rather than assuming your experience is what the perfect folks see and declaring that anything less is user error.

These things are not perfect.

Last edited:
Just a reminder to keep it friendly. ;)

My take on it is similar to the OP's, there are many people who are buying UAV's because they are 'cool' and have no knowledge of RC's, aircraft or aircraft rules and safety or even lipo batteries. We all start somewhere in the RC world, for me it was a RC car when I was very young. And thats great, but when you learn on a device like a quad of the same caliber of a Phantom or similar that can fly thousands of feet in any direction there is bound to be problems. Some buyers are upset that they would have to update the craft periodically. Or don't understand why it fell from the sky when they flew it till the battery was at or near zero. So many problems that could be avoided by being educated on how the craft works and the proper use of it.
Education and experience are key to safe flights. When you learned to drive you studied a book then took a test, then you drove with a licensed driver for a while, then you get a license after another written test and then an actual road test. You didn't get a car for Christmas and jump in and start driving, you were trained and you learned by doing with supervision. A UAV should be similar. You should have some education & experience with a veteran UAV flyer. Of course this is in a perfect world which we know doesn't exist.

If your a noob, don't be to proud to take some pointers from someone with experience, and if you are experienced, do not be afraid to share your knowledge with others. Lets all work to help each other and promote safe UAV habits so we all benefit from the hobby. Same as this forum, help out your fellow hobbyist instead of trying to tear them down. Were all here for the same reason, there should be no reason to berate others or treat others here badly. The forum will probably have a big influx new 'wet behind the ears' noobies on there way here right after Christmas so get ready people. Keep in mind... "we all start somewhere" so show them the right way and the friendly way. ;)

That intent was lost in the first sentence with the "really?" Hence the reception this thread is getting.

Secondly there are numerous issues with dji firmware, app releases and communication.

When a "smart" battery goes into discharge mode and the craft subsequently shows clear to take off, should a user assume otherwise?

When video is lost constantly on the app and the only thing that changed was an app update should the user take the blame ?

You would have been far better off posting a truly helpful "best tips guide" based on your experiences rather than assuming your experience is what the perfect folks see and declaring that anything less is user error.

These things are not perfect.

Fair comment. And that would account for the defensive approach by others in this thread. I hear you and will help out with a different approach.
The best advice I can give is buy a micro UAV and learn all you can about how these systems operate, and fly manually with no self levelling or GPS positioning as soon as you can. The Blade Nano QX is an excellent machine to learn on. Also, gain a Multi Rotor "wings" qualification or similar to show to yourself that you can pass a basic flight test. This will give you confidence in the theory and practice of moving these units around the sky and gain a better understanding of what it is that we do with this amazing technology. [emoji4]
And finally, join a camera/video club to learn about photography and videography. It'll make a huge difference to how you use the camera.

I agree with the OP. Most if not all of the problems are operator error. I'm beginning to think the competitors are coming on this forum and introducing "phantom" problems because they cannot compete with DJI. DJI is clearly the leader here in the drone industry.
I agree that DJI is the leader as well as most problems are operator error mainly because people don't read the F%$#ing manual. But competitors reporting Phantom problems? You've got to be kidding right me LMFAO.

Update I am by no means trying to insult anyone let alone a new person to the fantastic world of the DJI Phantoms. Read the manual, read the manual, read the manual and then right before your first flight read it again.There are many people here who have helped me as a newbie a while back and continue to do so. Honestly I have not had any issues with firmware, app, TX, ETC updates on my P2V or my P3P. However on other issues that I have contacted DJI tech support the response has been well lets just say pretty much useless. Anyway good luck to all and safe flying.

Oh and if anyone is looking for an answer to an issue this custom search tool is great. Google Custom Search

Last edited:
There's probably 100+ options in the app alone. All it take is one screw up, one oversight, one misunderstanding on how some feature works.

If we wanted to do all the recommended pre/during/post flight checks, all we would be doing all day is checks.

I've seen the most meticulous users have the dumbest of crashes. I've also seen completely clueless newbs that just keep flying and doing "everything wrong" but it never seems to catch up to them.

I'm one of those who uses checklists for the entire flight. I agree it does take time but not too much when used all the time. My checklists also include a verbal brief on what to do in an emergency after take off similar to my commercial flying days. Might seem a bit dorky but helps keep me in the right headspace for commercial photography and video work.

Someone the other day asked what the two switches were on the P3S Tx. A response was given (and a link to the .pdf) "did you read the manual", it was like that person was talking to themselves as the OP just ignored the information and continued to ask questions he could have gotten himself if he just took the time to read.

Just think, these are the same people that are driving cars, too.

Reactions: olof Ekbergh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl