Man hits baby in the face with drone

Reaction score
On July 24 Cassandra Roberts took her one-year-old son Atticus to Crow Creek Park in Bettendorf, Iowa where her little one was hit in the face by a drone. A 19-year-old man from Davenport has since been identified as the drone pilot and was fined $160 for flying the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that his the baby’s face. This is so ****** up. Like she got possibly permanent scars, and all he got is a $160? If it had been two inches higher she would be blind. I would have sued him, he should of had his drone taken, been arrested for assault on a minor, and got a $1500 plus fine.

That was LAST year and you just need to link to the story not try and copy/paste the text. We want the whole story..

On July 24 Cassandra Roberts took her one-year-old son Atticus to Crow Creek Park in Bettendorf, Iowa where her little one was hit in the face by a drone.
This is a perfect example of the reason why drones should not be allowed in parks where there are people.

It can't be that hard for even city-dwellers to get to a safe place to fly... or maybe it is, I've never lived in the city. I think if I did and there was no place close enough to fly safely, I'd find another hobby. Or buy a Tello and fly inside

Seems this was hashed out at the time it happened over in the Mavic forum as well.

I haven't found any follow up on a civil suit yet....

It appears nobody thought about the pilot. He probably thought his hobby was a safe thing to do. Then out of the blue he's suddenly scarred a young child for life, plus scared the heck out of it. How must he feel? I'm sure I'd be devastated and never fly again. I'm sure he wouldn't have hit the child on purpose, so don't you think perhaps he deserves a little sympathy as well?

Obviously we all feel sorry for the child and it's Mother, but hey! he was doing something the rest of us here do, fly his quadcopter. The fact he lost control could have been one or more of thousands of reasons, not all of them could be something he could have avoided. Let's not condemn the pilot without knowing why he lost control. I'm not making excuses for him, but faults can develop without us knowing about them, so let's not judge him, I'm sure he's going through a tough enough time as it is.

Let's not forget, a few inches lower and the child could have ended up like the young guy who had his Carotid Artery severed by quadcopter and died whilst walking through a US Park. I have to ask, why can't City councils put aside a specific park or parcel of land for city Quad flyers? The pilots could pay an annual fee to fly there and at leat it would help pay for it's upkeep. Then again, some bright spark would probably find some constitution it goes against.

You can insure anything against anything I guess, all you need is an insurance company willing to cover you. But the cost for quads would probably be enormous, especially as they are so unpredictable at times. The only reason Car insurance is kept low is due to the number being insured. Unless you were forced to insure, the costs would be of reach of the park flyer (hobbyist)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.