Man Accused of Flying Drone Above Anti-Trump Protest - Oh boy. This is all over my local news.

Omg. For real? It's almost impossible to not fly over a person or what have you in this day and age. I want to see his video to see how "dangerously close" he was flying. Ugh. And you call in that many cops with a swat team for a drone? Smh

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes. For recreational flyers, it's called Part 101 which every drone-flying hobbyist in the US should be intimately familiar with.

Click on the link below and scroll down to the very bottom and read (d).

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

If he interfered with the police helicopter, then he's in violation which means he's not flying under Part 101 which leaves him wide open to all sorts of hurt.

But even without the police helicopter, there's also (b) which indirectly yet absolutely refers to AMA's safety code which states:

You must avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures.

So that's another violation.

Last edited:
Is there not a drone Code of Practice in the USA? Looking at some of the videos on YouTube I am horrified at the recklessness I'm seeing. I am dreading the new laws that will ultimately be made following the idiotic ways the way some are flying their drones.

Exactly. Part of the problem I think is that these copters are being flown by some individuals who just don't care for the rules and ruins it for everyone who's flying responsibly. It kind of reminds me of how motorcycle stunters' ride irresponsibly on the roads causing a lot of problems because they aren't following traffic rules. Ultimately this gives the rest of us responsible riders, a bad reputation.

Last edited:
How funny in an ironic way. I saw a video of a protester at a different protest walking along the gathering controlling his aircraft. Yet he wasn't arrested.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

How funny in an ironic way. I saw a video of a protester at a different protest walking along the gathering controlling his aircraft. Yet he wasn't arrested.

Some people get away with stupidity for a while but eventually it catches up with them and usually in a BIG kind of way.

Reactions: cfd701 and RJ_Make
Some people get away with stupidity for a while but eventually it catches up with them and usually in a BIG kind of way.

I know that's right brother. Just to clarify, to other readers, I was in no way condoning the actions of either pilot. Both are incredibly stupid. It's just that the bias of people today is outstandingly ridiculous.

Can you imagine the "oh crap" moment this guy had when he realized he was being followed? I'm sure new shorts were in order

Reactions: BigAl07
The announcer says- Biggest problems for aircraft- Drones & laser pointers, just great,
These people have to start flying responsibly or the laws are going to keep us to flying over vacant deserts!
Oh, by the way- The latest on that flight east of Toronto, plane dropped to avoid a flying object & 2 stewards were slightly injured, if you recall. Well, seems some hanky panky in the cockpit resulted in the stick being knocked forward, causing a sudden drop in altitude, with only minutes to declare what happened- The call went like this- WE saw a UAV & had to quickly take action!

We need allot more news reports like this latest one in dronelife.com
See Title- drone saves boaters lives
Briefly-Police owned P-4 sent out to find missing man with grand daughters on board, find them in a log jam, man had heart attack, drone hovers over boat until rescuers can save them, YES!

It could have been much worse. The helicopter could collided with the Phantom, the helicopter crashes, killing the pilot and a bunch of people on the ground. The NTSB, investigating the crash, would have found pieces of a Phantom 3 in the wreckage.Those pieces led investigators to the owner of the Phantom. Another ruined life.

The pilot of this bird deserved what he got. Flying over a crowd, in airspace used by manned aircraft? Guys like this give responsible operators like myself (and you) a bad name.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31