Man Accused of Flying Drone Above Anti-Trump Protest - Oh boy. This is all over my local news.

Did I read he was flying at 1500' , thats a bit over what the law allows , to begin with . Not to mention , flew for several miles , thats kinda , out of sight a little .
Makes you wonder how much of that is truth or exaggerated by the so called Press !

Reactions: Wessex
He shouldn't have been flying there, but that video was HARDLY worth more than a yawn...sure didn't show a drone anywhere near the windscreen of that helicopter. Just more bad press for the rest of us and less cred with the general public.

It could have been much worse. The helicopter could collided with the Phantom, the helicopter crashes, killing the pilot and a bunch of people on the ground. The NTSB, investigating the crash, would have found pieces of a Phantom 3 in the wreckage.Those pieces led investigators to the owner of the Phantom. Another ruined life.

The pilot of this bird deserved what he got. Flying over a crowd, in airspace used by manned aircraft? Guys like this give responsible operators like myself (and you) a bad name.
Not sure the drone ever threatened the helicopter the video doesn't show that.

Did I read he was flying at 1500' , thats a bit over what the law allows , to begin with . Not to mention , flew for several miles , thats kinda , out of sight a little .
Makes you wonder how much of that is truth or exaggerated by the so called Press !
Yeah 1500 feet sounds off..if so was he really a threat to protestors? From what I saw it didn't seem that high.

If this guy did what they say he did, I can't see him getting out of it unless he has a good lawyer. Before I read the story, I was thinking he may have just flown at a relatively safe distance over the crowd just for the footage. After reading that he violated most of the FAA rules and state laws, I just can't support him. It isn't like this guys is a 10 year old taking out his dad's toy.

IMO,,,Trumped up charges. They are going to the FAA to see what other charges they can get him on, The news pilot (who used to be the state police chopper pilot) was going on about how the drone chased them and the state police choppers 3 times. And 1 time the drone came right up to their door. Showing the footage they have I saw nothing like it.The news pilot was just a bitter old prick
That's the way it works here ,arrest someone and make up every charge you can think of, than plea bargain .I believe MOST of the charges will be dropped
And no way he was over 400'

I wonder if he was actually flying the AC? Perhaps it was an autonomous flight, LCMC even, or probably given the distance from the launch point. This would explain why he continued flying around with the manned AC in the area.

1500 feet? hmmm firmware does not allow that unless they are using FL numbers not AGL.

Flying for a few miles? Hmm with P4 in a city that would be interesting to control.

Flying up to the doors/windows? Hmmm how does prop wash work??? I am very sure an P2/3/4 would go nuts....before it gets that close to a window or door.

He did break the law and did fly over people....and maybe some heli-ports nearby...but everything else is just trying to add more to sound evil.

all these news people and cops exaggerrate situations and mis-report them. a lot of incidents ended up with all fines and charges being dropped. not to say the guy wasnt a dousche

"He came right up to the window of the helicopter".....really? I would think the downwash from the heli blades would all but obliterate a P series.

hmmm... You may be on to something.

Helicopter prop wash runs about 70-115 MPH in a hover position. A P4 would likely not survive trying to overcome that speed to get to a door or window. More apt to get blown away if attempted.

good point, couple years ago, by gw bridge, cops said a drone was chasing them in a report. Audio from the chopper to the Tower at LaGuardia, the cops stated the were going to follow the drone. And more...

Wasn't there a recent thread about some guy who was flying his drone in a state or national park along some river and the park rangers tried to force it down with their helicopter into the river, but they gave up trying to down it when it got back near the public? Does lend more credence to a real helicopter's prop wash doing more damage to a drone, than a drone getting into the helicopter's space with its prop wash and turbulence.

Demonstrated drone hate run amok, with a pinch of news hysteria too.

This vid has been posted several times but it isn't recent - it was taken in the summer of 2014...

Last edited:
I do have one question to add to all of this.. While flying over people isn't allowed, and while occupying airspace while the Helicopter is up isn't a good idea either... can anybody truly say that if they were close enough to almost strike a REAL helicopter with a phantom that the down thrust of the REAL helicopter would allow the tiny Phantom to stay airborne? lol I mean I have see what happens in a 20mph cross wind with my Phantom 3 and 4, it isn't a pretty sight. Add in the MASSIVE force of a helicopters prop wash and I would imagine that is a recipe for one downed Phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl