Man Accused of Flying Drone Above Anti-Trump Protest - Oh boy. This is all over my local news.

One of the article's comment sections listed what looked like an engineering report that concluded anything less than about 4 lbs (or was it KG?) would cause no damage to an aircraft - fixed wing or helicopter. The design specifications for engines, windshields, rotors and components call for impacts above the weight and density of a DJI drone. In effect, the aircraft would ignore any impact created by a drone (just as it would an actual bird of similar weight).

Combine this with the proven sensationalism (if not outright lying) in our media, and the very real tendency for LEO and DAs/prosecutors to embellish the crime 'facts', I simply do not trust the official narrative. I'm not defending the pilot of this drone - but I also know better than to accept the story we're being told at face value.

It is against the law?
General rules by the FAA for recreational flying are:

• Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

I would change the never fly over groups of people, to never fly over people unless they are participating in your flight, such as a visual observer.

One of the article's comment sections listed what looked like an engineering report that concluded anything less than about 4 lbs (or was it KG?) would cause no damage to an aircraft - fixed wing or helicopter. The design specifications for engines, windshields, rotors and components call for impacts above the weight and density of a DJI drone. In effect, the aircraft would ignore any impact created by a drone (just as it would an actual bird of similar weight).

Combine this with the proven sensationalism (if not outright lying) in our media, and the very real tendency for LEO and DAs/prosecutors to embellish the crime 'facts', I simply do not trust the official narrative. I'm not defending the pilot of this drone - but I also know better than to accept the story we're being told at face value.
What is the FAA protocol when an aircraft collides with an object such as a bird or other foreign body?

What costs are associated with this for inspections, reports, repairs, or other requirements?

Who bears those costs?

'Hand-waving' the repercussions of a drone strike on a full scale aircraft is its own form of bias. When it comes to bias it seems that there's plenty to go around.

Full scale heli pilots are instructed to stay to the perimeter of a crowd for obvious safety reasons unless, of course, there is an immediate emergency that requires the craft to go inside that perimeter. I think I'd worry more about that craft causing much more damage than my P-3. With that said, you're always going to have the a-holes and rogues that believe the rules written are not for them to follow. Not just with this hobby, but with every endeavour. Think about this when you get behind the wheel of your automobile.....

Too bad he did not take down some of those protestors in the process.
Welcome to the free world and democracy. This is what it looks like, form the land or above. You don't like it, go to Venezuela.

All those punks in the protest breaking windows, burning vehicles, burning American flags and now 1 person dead from the riots, and they make headline news because some kid flew his toy over the crowd of worthless punks. They should be arresting the punks that are rioting.

Guys, it's getting a bit off topic and veering towards posting rules violation(s).

All those punks in the protest breaking windows, burning vehicles, burning American flags and now 1 person dead from the riots, and they make headline news because some kid flew his toy over the crowd of worthless punks. They should be arresting the punks that are rioting.

Relax Bill
No one was breaking windows, burning vehicles the night the drone was up.

These people have to start flying responsibly or the laws are going to keep us to flying over vacant deserts!

Have a modest amount of desert here in Idaho. Can't fly in an impressive amount of it because it's a bird sanctuary. I would really like to get one. used to have great fun with RC aircraft and helicopters. I just see so much crap going on with these things that with my luck, the day I get one will be the day all drone flights are banned to a 1 square mile area designated in each state. Aaah, yeah that will be fun.

Have a modest amount of desert here in Idaho. Can't fly in an impressive amount of it because it's a bird sanctuary. I would really like to get one. used to have great fun with RC aircraft and helicopters. I just see so much crap going on with these things that with my luck, the day I get one will be the day all drone flights are banned to a 1 square mile area designated in each state. Aaah, yeah that will be fun.
Time to get the Geodetic Survey maps out and find exactly where those sanctuaries are. I think you'll find you will have enough room for just about anything you want to do. That's "Big Sky" country....I have to deal with Bays and the Atlantic Ocean. (hint: one false move and the quad is going swimming!)

The announcer says- Biggest problems for aircraft- Drones & laser pointers, just great,
These people have to start flying responsibly or the laws are going to keep us to flying over vacant deserts!
Oh, by the way- The latest on that flight east of Toronto, plane dropped to avoid a flying object & 2 stewards were slightly injured, if you recall. Well, seems some hanky panky in the cockpit resulted in the stick being knocked forward, causing a sudden drop in altitude, with only minutes to declare what happened- The call went like this- WE saw a UAV & had to quickly take action!
Hello royster...can you send me a link to the story about the hanky panky in that plane?All I can find i reports of it being a drone.Thank you, Cal

Is there not a drone Code of Practice in the USA? Looking at some of the videos on YouTube I am horrified at the recklessness I'm seeing. I am dreading the new laws that will ultimately be made following the idiotic ways the way some are flying their drones.
Sure there is and right from the Federal Aviation Administrations web pages:
You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely.

Before you fly outside you must:

• Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines
You must be:

• 13 years of age or older (if the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft)
  • A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident*
* Visiting foreign nationals must register their UAS upon arrival in the United States (online registration serves as a certificate of ownership).

To register, you'll need:

• Email address
  • Credit or Debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
Registration costs $5 and is valid for 3 years.

Register UAS that weigh less than 55 lbs. and more than 0.55 lbs. online

Register UAS that weigh more than 55 lbs. by paper

Label your UAS (PDF)

Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements