Main causes of shorter flight times?

Reaction score
I'm disappointed with a constant 11 minute flight time from say 95% battery down to the first set of red lights at 30% on my Phantom 2. My voltage according to my iOSD mini and Black Pearl setup starts out at around 12.2 V and seems to get down to 11.2 V fairly briskly within a few minutes of flying. In all my P2 is nothing out of the ordinary, just a P2, H33D gimbal, Hero 3+, Immersion RC 600mw, iOSD mini, Fat Shark Spironet V2......

I see people on here getting 14-18 mins on average, possibly more in some cases, yet my average easy-going flight would get little more than 11 minutes? Maybe we could factor in a little bit of wind but I am sure it can't be something that would cut down flight times significantly by minutes. What's the deal, the batteries appear to be in good health according the DJI Assistant on my PC. And before anyone asks, I follow the general consensus on looking after LiPo batteries, I.e. Try to store them at around 50%, etc. Is the P2 itself the cause?

yea weight is the single biggest factor. I noticed a huge difference when I was flying without the gimbal+gopro+transmitter, adding all them significantly decreased my flight time.

other more minor factors do indeed include wind... the more the Phantom has to correct to stay in place (assuming you're in GPS mode) the faster the battery will decrease. Also power climbs kill the battery... I've done some filming for movies and when I'm just flying around mainly laterally I get noticeably more flight time than when I'm trying to get shots that involve power climbs to a high altitude.
Still, 11 does seem a bit low I'd say I'm more on the 12-14 minute side, and I'm running a Boscam TS352 transmitter that supposedly draws more power than the IRC600.

Depending on if you're flying super far away or not, I took my battery warning down from 30% to 25%, the more you fly the more you'll get comfortable with judging how far away you are vs. how far you can push your battery, I usually am trying to "land" (I always catch) at or barely under 20%

What's your elevation at takeoff?
Which Phantom are you flying?
What is the weight of your bird?
How close are you to the "Max takeoff weight"?
Are your props nicked?
Are your batteries warm?
Gotta bunch more questions, but I think you may get the idea, there are lots of variables which affect flight time.

Most folks are at or near sea level. Flight times are much better there than at 5,000 feet.

Food for thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.