Lowepro Product Testing

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

My name is Ian and I am a product designer at Lowepro, a camera accessories brand that creates carry and protection solutions for photographers and videographers. Recently we released our new Drone Guard Kit (http://store.lowepro.com/droneguard-kit), a carrying tray that keeps your gear organized and easy to transport to your flight location. As of now we are developing a backpack concept that will allow users to comfortably transport and protect their phantom(or other similar sized drone) on long excursions or to more hard to reach shooting locations. I am looking for drone users that are passionate about flying and capturing aerial images that can give insights to how they currently transport their gear. Insights that explain, what gear you bring to your flight location? What do you use to transport that gear(some photos would be super helpful to show how you set up your carrying rig), How do you like that current transport system? And if possible, how could transporting/protecting your ariel photography gear be improved?. It would help me out a great deal to get some real world feedback on how users are transporting their gear!

Hope to hear from you!
Ian

Fantastic news Ian! I just purchased the Drone Guard Kit last week and have yet to use it in the field, but I am very impressed with it.
I own Phantoms, a 350QX and an Iris+, all the Phantoms (Phantom 1and a 2 with gimbal and FPV gear) and the 350QX fit perfectly, the Iris+ fits well, but isn't as protected as the other two.
Look forward to seeing what the backpack looks like!

Reactions: Ian Hughes
Hey Ian, be happy to give input. I currently own the Your drone guard kit and like it with one exception. The straps where you show tools in your ad are not really small enough for the tools like prop wrenches, etc. Different size straps in a few spots would be better.

I haul 3 batteries, quad, controller, Marco Polo tracker, and misc chargers, USB cords and tools. The side zipper pockets work well for tablet so make sure anything you design has a tablet storage in it.

I am hoping the kit fits the new 3DR solo quad and if it does I plan to buy another for it.

Reactions: Ian Hughes
Welcome to the forum Ian :)
From recommendations I got here from a member I was gonna buy one . But since ya ask for some real world feedback I would like to volunteer
to give ya some real in the floorboard of the truck kind of feedback :) Just send me one and will be glad to test it out for ya !! ;)
facepalm.jpg
...What ...Don't hurt ta ask fella's :D
Ian it looks great and can't wait to get one !!! :D

Thank you for your speedy reply's GoodnNuff and rrmccabe! I am glad that you both like the Drone Guard kit and are putting it to good use :). But could you maybe elaborate more on what you would like to see for a backpack? Do you care more about protection or comfortability?

Welcome to the forum Ian :)
From recommendations I got here from a member I was gonna buy one . But since ya ask for some real world feedback I would like to volunteer
to give ya some real in the floorboard of the truck kind of feedback :) Just send me one and will be glad to test it out for ya !! ;)
View attachment 19716 ...What ...Don't hurt ta ask fella's :D
Ian it looks great and can't wait to get one !!! :D

haha it definitely doesn't hurt to ask dirkclod! Once I have some backpack samples I will be looking for beta testers........

Reactions: Ari and dirkclod
One thing I will add. Wish there was a divider in the side pocket of current kit. I would not want other things in there with the tablet as they could slide and scratch it. So always be thinking about dedicated tablet storage on whatever you do. Currently I cant get full use out of side pocket with tablet!

All backpacks need a water bottle holder so don't forget that. I have a Milwaukee backpack with a plastic tray on bottom. Durable, allows you to sit it in snow or water without getting wet and makes it stand up.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I'd love to beta test one for you as well.

And I'm currently a contractor who deals with unmanned systems in the .mil world... just sayin' ;)

I have a plastic "bin" that is segregated inside. Maybe include just such a thing for small parts/tools/etc.

As an example:
55322p.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ian .. I currently has a hard case that I use for storing the Phantom and carrying it in the car.
It holds the bird + 4 batteries + remote controller as well as props and small stuff like SD cards, screwdriver etc.
I have been hand carrying my Phantom into flying sites that aren't easily accessible but it's a pain to carry the batteries and controller like that.
I'm looking for a new solution because the hard case is too tight for the new P3.
My ideal replacement is a backpack that provides sufficient protection to use for car or plane transport (in the overhead locker).
That would also make treks into waterfalls etc a lot easier.

Hey Ian. Attached is my current carrying set up.

It's a Lowepro Runner 450 AW.

Most things I carry fit fine, the only downside is lack of Velcro in most parts, making the layout I'd like harder to stick. The parts either side of the phantom are just made up from spare dividers taped together. If I carried spare batteries in them it would make them more solid, but not a massive issue.

Control and power supplies up top, divider for the monitor, tools, spare props and cables etc all in the flap.

The drone guard looks like it would solve my problem, but I don't think it'll fit in this model of the bag. I think I read a write up somewhere listing the models of bag it would fit, but can't find that now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432204369.460832.jpg

EDIT - Found the review I read - https://fstoppers.com/aerial/fstoppers-reviews-all-new-droneguard-kit-lowepro-70429
Fits the Trekker 450 but not the Runner 450.

Last edited:
Hey Ian. Attached is my current carrying set up.

It's a Lowepro Runner 450 AW.

Most things I carry fit fine, the only downside is lack of Velcro in most parts, making the layout I'd like harder to stick. The parts either side of the phantom are just made up from spare dividers taped together. If I carried spare batteries in them it would make them more solid, but not a massive issue.

Control and power supplies up top, divider for the monitor, tools, spare props and cables etc all in the flap.

The drone guard looks like it would solve my problem, but I don't think it'll fit in this model of the bag. I think I read a write up somewhere listing the models of bag it would fit, but can't find that now.

View attachment 19737

EDIT - Found the review I read - https://fstoppers.com/aerial/fstoppers-reviews-all-new-droneguard-kit-lowepro-70429
Fits the Trekker 450 but not the Runner 450.

Awesome! Thanks simonwicks. I remember trying to fit the kit in the Pro Runner 450 and the base board is a little to large for that backpack. What I have been doing is using a S+F Transport duffle with my Drone Guard Kit. Its an unstructured backpack with no padding but fits the kit very well. If you can't wait till we release a backpack, I would suggest using it with your Drone Guard kit.

http://store.lowepro.com/s-f-transport-duffle-backpack

Also, thanks for the photo post!

Ian

Last edited:
Hi Ian .. I currently has a hard case that I use for storing the Phantom and carrying it in the car.
It holds the bird + 4 batteries + remote controller as well as props and small stuff like SD cards, screwdriver etc.
I have been hand carrying my Phantom into flying sites that aren't easily accessible but it's a pain to carry the batteries and controller like that.
I'm looking for a new solution because the hard case is too tight for the new P3.
My ideal replacement is a backpack that provides sufficient protection to use for car or plane transport (in the overhead locker).
That would also make treks into waterfalls etc a lot easier.

Nice Meta4, this backpack will be sized for the P3. How far do you tend to hike with your phantom?

How about a waterproof hard shell backpack that opens up to accept your fully loaded carrier along with space for chargers and a small laptop. Max weight, about 15 to 20 lbs with gear

How about a waterproof hard shell backpack that opens up to accept your fully loaded carrier along with space for chargers and a small laptop. Max weight, about 15 to 20 lbs with gear

Thanks Jeff, I will take this into consideration.

Nice Meta4, this backpack will be sized for the P3. How far do you tend to hike with your phantom?
Hi Ian ... so far I've done several walks of about 5 miles but I know of a few sites I'd like to go to that would involve 8-10 miles and a good backpack would make that easier.
Are you anticipating that yours would be rainproof?

Ian,

For our adventures and shoots here in Hawaii, I need a backpack that can withstand the rigors of extended treks in the mountains, valleys, beaches, and on rappels, all while keeping my quadcopter dry. For my Phantom 2 I use the Dryzone 200 and it works great. It has plenty of room to carry 3-4 extra batteries, my fpv monitor, dvr, props, polarizing/ND lenses, and other miscellaneous gear in the waterproof compartment (first 2 photos). I then add a thin foam pad for extra protection (3rd photo). In the inside mesh pocket I carry my sunshield for my fpv monitor (4th photo), and in the outside compartment I carry my tools, launch pad, and other misc gear as well (5th photo). The outer pockets are great for extra gear, and the outer loops are essential for clipping in a tripod to carry for my fpv, and water bottles.

The two most important features I looked for in a pack are waterproofness and protection. A waterproof pack is essential to me because we tend to trek through rainy conditions and waterfalls, and that allows me to take my quadcopter and obtain epic shots that I otherwise could not. The pack is comfortable, and I have used it for long, multi-day treks. It is bulky, but not too heavy with all my gear (maybe 12-15 pounds). In the beginning, I worried about it being a soft pack, which keeps the weight down, but it is well padded, and I've never had a problem with my quadcopter being damaged. The only issue I have is that over time the waterproof zipper tends to not slide as smoothly, so now it usually takes a good 5 minutes to zip up. This pack seems to have the right balance of protection and comfort, and there is not one instance where I have not been able to use this pack, which says a lot given what we do out here, so I don't really have anything negative to say about it at this time. The price point is high for this pack, so maybe you can incorporate some of the best qualities from this into your designs.

The last photo is from a backpacking trip we took last week where I hiked my quadcopter in 10 miles, so, yeah, the pack is great.

Greg

.1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Reactions: Ian Hughes and Ti22
Hi Ian ... so far I've done several walks of about 5 miles but I know of a few sites I'd like to go to that would involve 8-10 miles and a good backpack would make that easier.
Are you anticipating that yours would be rainproof?

Awesome Meta4. Rainproof, yes. A stow able all weather cover comes standard on our backpacks. This pack will most likely have more water protection features than our other standard backpacks, offering more protection against rain and snow. Thanks for your input!

Hey Everyone!

My name is Ian and I am a product designer at Lowepro, a camera accessories brand that creates carry and protection solutions for photographers and videographers. Recently we released our new Drone Guard Kit (http://store.lowepro.com/droneguard-kit), a carrying tray that keeps your gear organized and easy to transport to your flight location. As of now we are developing a backpack concept that will allow users to comfortably transport and protect their phantom(or other similar sized drone) on long excursions or to more hard to reach shooting locations. I am looking for drone users that are passionate about flying and capturing aerial images that can give insights to how they currently transport their gear. Insights that explain, what gear you bring to your flight location? What do you use to transport that gear(some photos would be super helpful to show how you set up your carrying rig), How do you like that current transport system? And if possible, how could transporting/protecting your ariel photography gear be improved?. It would help me out a great deal to get some real world feedback on how users are transporting their gear!

Hope to hear from you!
Ian
Hello, I would love to test one out for you Ian let me know if I can help...

Ian,

For our adventures and shoots here in Hawaii, I need a backpack that can withstand the rigors of extended treks in the mountains, valleys, beaches, and on rappels, all while keeping my quadcopter dry. For my Phantom 2 I use the Dryzone 200 and it works great. It has plenty of room to carry 3-4 extra batteries, my fpv monitor, dvr, props, polarizing/ND lenses, and other miscellaneous gear in the waterproof compartment (first 2 photos). I then add a thin foam pad for extra protection (3rd photo). In the inside mesh pocket I carry my sunshield for my fpv monitor (4th photo), and in the outside compartment I carry my tools, launch pad, and other misc gear as well (5th photo). The outer pockets are great for extra gear, and the outer loops are essential for clipping in a tripod to carry for my fpv, and water bottles.

The two most important features I looked for in a pack are waterproofness and protection. A waterproof pack is essential to me because we tend to trek through rainy conditions and waterfalls, and that allows me to take my quadcopter and obtain epic shots that I otherwise could not. The pack is comfortable, and I have used it for long, multi-day treks. It is bulky, but not too heavy with all my gear (maybe 12-15 pounds). In the beginning, I worried about it being a soft pack, which keeps the weight down, but it is well padded, and I've never had a problem with my quadcopter being damaged. The only issue I have is that over time the waterproof zipper tends to not slide as smoothly, so now it usually takes a good 5 minutes to zip up. This pack seems to have the right balance of protection and comfort, and there is not one instance where I have not been able to use this pack, which says a lot given what we do out here, so I don't really have anything negative to say about it at this time. The price point is high for this pack, so maybe you can incorporate some of the best qualities from this into your designs.

The last photo is from a backpacking trip we took last week where I hiked my quadcopter in 10 miles, so, yeah, the pack is great.

Greg

.View attachment 19787 View attachment 19788 View attachment 19789 View attachment 19790 View attachment 19791 View attachment 19793

This is great feedback Greg! I really appreciate the in-depth explanation and photos to tell your story. The dry zone zipper is definitely cause for concern, as you are probably not the only customer having that issue. However, I am glad that it fits the level of protection you're looking for. As far as price, we are shooting for something definitely less expensive than the dry zone. Thanks!
Ian

Reactions: Ti22

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.