Lost it found it but what happened

Reaction score
Seems my post went missing..

Ok so today i went out flying, ive just purchased the Vision booster app and wanted to test it out.

I went out to my local field, its big and has no power lines, cell towers or any other kind of interference related items and did all the usual things us pilots do before take off.

Everything seemed fine as i took off and having had upto 1400ft of FPV i expected better now that i had the booster app working, however after going to 300ft the FPV cut out at 800ft.

Not to impressed i raised the height to 500ft but again the FPV wouldnt work past 800ft, bear in mind this is LOS in a very big and wide open field.

So i pushed the boundaries and went up to 900 feet at this point i achieved 1495ft, about the same as no booster assistance, however at this point things went pear shaped, the app said Phantom connection broken and as i looked up from my phone i lost site of the quad.

Not worrying to much i turned off the TX to initiate RTH (i turned off naza last night testing the new app) and waited, and waited, and waited.

At this point i started walking in a straight line towards the last known point i had seen the quad, all the while trying to get a connection back to the quad, i must have walked 500ft still with no luck

I got the wifi connected to the quad eventually but the app still had Phantom connection broken, i knew at this point the battery would be getting low and i started to panic.

Heres the video that the quad took, look at 6 minutes in, the quad goes crazy in the air and just spins round and round like it has lost all orientation before eventually finding its bearings and heading home.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExtWv0rwnI[/youtube]

Thank god i spent the £30 on a TK102B tracker, i was able to get its location and thanking the gods of quads it gave me a location some 1500ft from where i was stood, the battery must have run low and it had gone into auto land mode and landed in a field, no damage :D

So why did it go crazy.?
also why did the find my phantom section of the app just show the message "No flight data"
and lastly why when i was within 300ft could i not reconnect to the phantom even though the quad still had power on it when i found it.

I havent tested it yet as i havent had time but im assuming i was just lucky this time.

BUY A TRACKER FOR YOUR QUAD...LIKE ME YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID.

I would check the gps antenna connection as it is possible it had a loose connection and lost the link in flight

That means getting the top of, i hate doing that but your right, it may be the old loose plug connection issue ive heard about.

crash1sttime said:
Seems my post went missing..

Ok so today i went out flying, ive just purchased the Vision booster app and wanted to test it out.

I went out to my local field, its big and has no power lines, cell towers or any other kind of interference related items and did all the usual things us pilots do before take off.

Everything seemed fine as i took off and having had upto 1400ft of FPV i expected better now that i had the booster app working, however after going to 300ft the FPV cut out at 800ft.

Not to impressed i raised the height to 500ft but again the FPV wouldnt work past 800ft, bear in mind this is LOS in a very big and wide open field.

So i pushed the boundaries and went up to 900 feet at this point i achieved 1495ft, about the same as no booster assistance, however at this point things went pear shaped, the app said Phantom connection broken and as i looked up from my phone i lost site of the quad.

Not worrying to much i turned off the TX to initiate RTH (i turned off naza last night testing the new app) and waited, and waited, and waited.

At this point i started walking in a straight line towards the last known point i had seen the quad, all the while trying to get a connection back to the quad, i must have walked 500ft still with no luck

I got the wifi connected to the quad eventually but the app still had Phantom connection broken, i knew at this point the battery would be getting low and i started to panic.

Heres the video that the quad took, look at 6 minutes in, the quad goes crazy in the air and just spins round and round like it has lost all orientation before eventually finding its bearings and heading home.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExtWv0rwnI[/youtube]

Thank god i spent the £30 on a TK102B tracker, i was able to get its location and thanking the gods of quads it gave me a location some 1500ft from where i was stood, the battery must have run low and it had gone into auto land mode and landed in a field, no damage :D

So why did it go crazy.?
also why did the find my phantom section of the app just show the message "No flight data"
and lastly why when i was within 300ft could i not reconnect to the phantom even though the quad still had power on it when i found it.

I havent tested it yet as i havent had time but im assuming i was just lucky this time.

BUY A TRACKER FOR YOUR QUAD...LIKE ME YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID.

Yea, but DONT buy a tracker with built in magnet, that will mess compass up. :shock:

All my TK102B's have come with two cases, one with magnets and one without.

Umpa said:

You are quite correct, the TK102B comes with a plastic cover and a magnetic one, not being stupid i have the plastic cover on mine.not withstanding i have taken the quad out today and it behaved fine.

still could do with some answers as to why the find my phantom feature doesnt work.

crash1sttime said:
Umpa said:

You are quite correct, the TK102B comes with a plastic cover and a magnetic one, not being stupid i have the plastic cover on mine.not withstanding i have taken the quad out today and it behaved fine.

still could do with some answers as to why the find my phantom feature doesnt work.
When you tried that feature did you have Wi-Fi connection with your bird ?
Set you bird out from you and while all connected try it and see if it finds it .[ if ya hadn't already ]

yeah the wifi showed as connected but it still showed no flight data, i will test it again in controlled conditions and see what happens

I have used mine once with the old app and it worked but not with this new one will now and see what it does with mine :D

Update / Just went out with my Mini which only works with Wi-Fi as it has no card and it would not find it . So I dropped the Phantom network and connected back to house Wi-Fi and it did .
So I tried my iPhone and flew out to same spot and set it back down and tried it and it worked The only thing is when trying with my mini and dropped my phantom connection to get on home network I can't get back on the phantom one ? Maybe I will have to do a rebind . No problem connecting to my phone but just the mini so I done buggered up something again :lol:

Attachments

• Find phantom.PNG
    Find phantom.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 504
Rebooted my Mini and got it back working and tried again and it found it . I must have not put my maps back in the mini when I did a total reset a little while ago . Maybe that can help ya ;)

Attachments

• mini.PNG
    mini.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 487
Cheers Dirkclod for that helpful post, its to late in the Uk right now to go flying so will have to go out tomorrow if i get a chance.

crash1sttime said:
Cheers Dirkclod for that helpful post, its to late in the Uk right now to go flying so will have to go out tomorrow if i get a chance.
:D Tis what I like to do ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers