Lost connection, crash, lost drone.

As of right now I am working on a recovery mission.

My Mavic cant carry the weight, another friend has a Phantom, we may rig up a grappling hook to some string.

Other option is finding a cell tower service guy... had no luck yet.

It rained the other day, so it's no doubt ruined. But at least recovering will allow me to use refresh.
If you use another Phantom for retrieval, you might end up with 2 downed Phantoms and an angry friend.

Reactions: Quest-So
Depends on how long the string is. My air could fly decently close enough to capture the pictures. 20 foot string, hover over and catch.

Unless I can find a cell guy...again, no luck with that so far.

Depends on how long the string is. My air could fly decently close enough to capture the pictures. 20 foot string, hover over and catch.

Unless I can find a cell guy...again, no luck with that so far.
But if you hook it and it won’t come free and you can’t unhook, how do you get the second drone back?

But if you hook it and it won’t come free and you can’t unhook, how do you get the second drone back?
I thought the same...

We would scout it out at first.

The position looks easy to just pick up. Its upside down, legs up. Should be a fairly easy grab.

My plan originally was to use a very small piece of scotch tape to tape 20ft of fishing line hanging down.... the other end on the reel.... fly it up, hook it, then pull up with drone, causing tape to break and hook to remain on... then reel it off the side and let if fall.... but that's a big risk

Now it's clear where the bird is. My advices are the following:
- Go fly again right above its position and take highest definition pictures to fully understand if the bird is free to lift it up, or eventually stuck in those cables @sar104 with his eagle eyes might help again :)
- Keep a similar height distance to the one from the 1st set of pictures, because the tower roof is a huge metal surface, you might get into trouble with the compass.
- Take-off and approach the shooting position in the manner highlighted in the attached picture by the green path not the red path (this is to avoid flying in vicinity of the microwave beams, true enemies to such drones)
- No matter if the bird is free or stuck, I kindly advice you to contact the water works company and ask them about the access on tower's roof. If the tower is still in use, then communication companies are just roof-tenants, the owner is still the water company.

Attachments

• Tower+.jpg
    Tower+.jpg
    596.3 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Reactions: ElevationOneDrone
Now it's clear where the bird is. My advices are the following:
- Go fly again right above its position and take highest definition pictures to fully understand if the bird is free to lift it up, or eventually stuck in those cables @sar104 with his eagle eyes might help again :)
- Keep a similar height distance to the one from the 1st set of pictures, because the tower roof is a huge metal surface, you might get into trouble with the compass.
- Take-off and approach the shooting position in the manner highlighted in the attached picture by the green path not the red path (this is to avoid flying in vicinity of the microwave beams, true enemies to such drones)
- No matter if the bird is free or stuck, I kindly advice you to contact the water works company and ask them about the access on tower's roof. If the tower is still in use, then communication companies are just roof-tenants, the owner is still the water company.
I've already contacted them.

Water works wont go up there, already asked.

Fire dept would, but ladder isnt high enough, we do a lot of charity for the FD, so they were ready to help.

Cant find anyone who works on towers to get it down.

If you get behind the actual antenna, like over top the tower, does that "beat" the waves, meaning they only go toward where they are pointing?

Ask the water company the contact names & phone numbers belonging to the responsibles with whom they have signed the tower-roof lease. Further on these companies will direct you down-stream to their maintenance techs.

Reactions: ElevationOneDrone
I've already contacted them.

Water works wont go up there, already asked.

Fire dept would, but ladder isnt high enough, we do a lot of charity for the FD, so they were ready to help.

Cant find anyone who works on towers to get it down.
Public Works doesn't go up there? Someone does? Find out who, and offer to pay them. It seems to be your only option.

Public Works doesn't go up there? Someone does? Find out who, and offer to pay them. It seems to be your only option.
Wow... finding it was the easy part it seems. Wouldn't there be an external ladder... maybe not from the ground, but halfway up the tower. I'm sure you've thought of that. SOMEBODY knows how to get up there..

Longshot - do you know anyone that could air your story on your local news?? Maybe some kind soul would step up.

The real answer is, hire a helicopter and someone that could rescue your aircraft.

Wow... finding it was the easy part it seems. Wouldn't there be an external ladder... maybe not from the ground, but halfway up the tower. I'm sure you've thought of that. SOMEBODY knows how to get up there..

Longshot - do you know anyone that could air your story on your local news?? Maybe some kind soul would step up.

The real answer is, hire a helicopter and someone that could rescue your aircraft.
I think it's cheaper and safer to hire a Boom Truck.

I've done all of this. I have found 2 climbers with certificates of insurance, licenses, willing to go up for free grab it an bring it down.

Now the township is not allowing them up without a work order.

I understand my drone is on their property, but withholding my personal property should also be illegal.

There is a locked door with a ladder in the inside that leads to a hatch on top. Its literally a 10 minute job

Reactions: Hounddog

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures