Losing video feed at 12 meters

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got my Phantom 3 Standard last week and was flying around above my home capturing the sunset, however ; at around 11-12 meters up I kept losing the video feed and it kept asking if I'd like to return to home which obviously to a new flyer is a little scary, I had 11+ sats at the time too.

What position did you have your controller antenna at? I've read in the forums that when you're flying over head, the antenna should be more level with the ground, or straight out from the controller, as opposed to the normal flying position of 90° to the controller

Also, do you have beginner mode switched off?
Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I had the antenna in all different positions the feed would come and go but is still have full control over the craft, I actually did turn beginner mode on as I was flying above my yard and didn't want to go to far, maybe that was why?

I have never tried beginner mode, but it is not going to effect signal quality.

I have never tried beginner mode, but it is not going to effect signal quality.
You are correct! At the time I posted I was thinking he was dealing with a distance issue...... I'm reading too many threads I guess.

And now with the post right below this, I see that I was barking up the wrong tree with the antenna suggestions too!

I'm batting 0 for 2 on this thread...[emoji15]
Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Did you try pointing the controller at the drone? The video link antennas are panels built into the controller and not connected to the external antenna. Panel antennas suffer greatly if they do not point towards their target.
Even though the controller was not pointed properly, 12 meters is not far and you should not have complete video loss at that distance. Is the problem only when you are flying up? Is signal okay when flying away?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you try pointing the controller at the drone? The video link antennas are panels built into the controller and not connected to the external antenna. Panel antennas suffer greatly if they do not point towards their target.
Even though the controller was not pointed properly, 12 meters is not far and you should not have complete video loss at that distance. Is the problem only when you are flying up? Is signal okay when flying away?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes I tried holding it up and that helped a little bit, I did not try flying away as I was scared of losing it completely after losing video not too high up!

Remember - the drone should always "see" as much of the antennas as possible. If you point the antennas directly towards the drone, it will just "see" the tiny tips. Not good.

Generally, the worst place to fly is directly above your head (because of the location of receiver in the drone), but if you absolutely must, mak sure to angle the antennas parallell to the ground (perpendicular to the line of sight to the Phantom).

//Tom

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl