Looking to become commercially licensed. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Ive been researching for hours and can see that there are any classes to become commercialy licensed. Most of these classes seem outrageously expensive.

Does anyone have the lead on a cheap or free way to prepare for the 107 exam?

Thanks!

You can find a list of commonly used FAA Part 107 study resources here.

A similar situation over in the U.K. Lots of courses about but out of this world expensive, and little or no real information about what they provide.
It begs the question that if the resources were more freely available, or the courses were more sensibly priced, would more of us undertake them to become qualified and thus improve air safety? It is being proposed over here that all drone users, including hobby fliers, will have to take a test. That being the case it will be another reason to drive the more unscrupulous underground, and the honest fliers into more debt.

I will always recommend RemotePilot101.com. $99 buys you a very good training program targeted at the knowledge you need, with "lifetime" membership. I scored 92% on the exam first try after taking Jason Schappert's course.

Just had a quick look at it now. Seems amazing value to me. Would that there could be a CAA equivalent .

Another vote Remote Pilot 101. I have been scoring 100% on their practice exams plus 100% of the 126 3DR questions. Going to take the 107 test Sunday.

Does the FAA have age restrictions on anyone applying for a 107 Certificate? I'd hate to spend the $$$ and find I'm too old to qualify.

Another vote Remote Pilot 101. I have been scoring 100% on their practice exams plus 100% of the 126 3DR questions. Going to take the 107 test Sunday.

You'll probably pass if you're getting 100% on the practice tests but just a heads up, the actual test is a bit more difficult as some of the questions are tricky. Good luck and happy flying!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Does the FAA have age restrictions on anyone applying for a 107 Certificate? I'd hate to spend the $$$ and find I'm too old to qualify.

I am a "big airplane" flight instructor and Airline pilot. There are minimum ages for Private, Commercial and ATP licenses, and a max age of 65 for Airline flying under FAR 121. I don't think there are any max age restrictions on commercial drone ops. There are no restrictions on flight instructors or corporate (FAR 91 for hire) so I would be amazed if there were any on commercial drone ops under FAR 107.

I am a "big airplane" flight instructor and Airline pilot. There are minimum ages for Private, Commercial and ATP licenses, and a max age of 65 for Airline flying under FAR 121. I don't think there are any max age restrictions on commercial drone ops. There are no restrictions on flight instructors or corporate (FAR 91 for hire) so I would be amazed if there were any on commercial drone ops under FAR 107.
Thanks for your reply. I'd better get on it and pass before there is. Down the road they'll probably require a flight physical.

So whenever you go in to take the test the questions are picked randomly from a bunch of questions? So no test is the same? Is that how it goes? Or is it the same test that everyone takes? Also how long did everyone study before taking it and what did you score on it? Just wondering, I'll be going to take mine in the next couple months and want to get a really good picture of what to expect. Definitely not going to pay for a course or anything so please don't suggest that. Some are saying that most of the test questions are on maps and weather and nothing to do with an actual drone. Is that the consensus?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

So whenever you go in to take the test the questions are picked randomly from a bunch of questions? So no test is the same? Is that how it goes? Or is it the same test that everyone takes? Also how long did everyone study before taking it and what did you score on it? Just wondering, I'll be going to take mine in the next couple months and want to get a really good picture of what to expect. Definitely not going to pay for a course or anything so please don't suggest that. Some are saying that most of the test questions are on maps and weather and nothing to do with an actual drone. Is that the consensus?

You are correct, the questions that you will see are taken from a large set and each one is generally different. So relying on what I or anyone tells you about how much of each topic was on my test doesn't really help you. The FAA has published the different topic areas that you need to understand and the test will cover each in various levels of detail. There will definitely be questions on sectionals (maps) and weather, but how many of each varies a lot. Murphy's Law would tell you that your test would probably have a lot of questions on any area that you tried to skim by on! Pull up some of the suggested material and look it over. If it looks totally foreign to you and you aren't a really disciplined student, consider taking an online course. Anyone can do it on their own, but you have to work hard at it. And remember, if you fail the first time, you have to pay the $150 again to retake the test!

You are correct, the questions that you will see are taken from a large set and each one is generally different. So relying on what I or anyone tells you about how much of each topic was on my test doesn't really help you. The FAA has published the different topic areas that you need to understand and the test will cover each in various levels of detail. There will definitely be questions on sectionals (maps) and weather, but how many of each varies a lot. Murphy's Law would tell you that your test would probably have a lot of questions on any area that you tried to skim by on! Pull up some of the suggested material and look it over. If it looks totally foreign to you and you aren't a really disciplined student, consider taking an online course. Anyone can do it on their own, but you have to work hard at it. And remember, if you fail the first time, you have to pay the $150 again to retake the test!
Thanks for the info[emoji6]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20