Looking for a good FPV

OI Photography said:
Exactly :) There's a port on the Phantom's main board inside that takes the feed from the Zenmuse, and then a 2nd port on the board where you can pipe the video (and power feed) to your transmitter.

Do you have a P2? If so, the video/power output cable from the board should already be present, a 4-strand cable with red/brown/yellow/brown wires.

indeed, P2 with Z-2D gimbal. I've got this GoPro FPV cable on the way along with all the other stuff and was hoping I wouldn't get it all and wind up needing an additional cable. Thanks very much for that info!

tubino said:
I wonder if the RX100 II wifi capability can be used.
The wifi isn't going to make it 500 ft + without a repeater, but... maybe ....

The advantage to using that capability is that you would have CAMERA control, not just FPV.

But no copter data. :(

I'm just tryin to help here, not be rude because it seems like you don't completely understand WHY it shouldn't be done, and being an IT geek I can offer insight because it doesn't have anything to do with GoPro specifically:
802.11 B, G and N wifi all use frequencies in the 2.4Ghz range. I believe that the remote control of the P2 operates in those same or very nearby frequencies, so it's like having FM radio transmitters on 99.7 and 99.5.. when you tune to 99.7 you're going to get "crosstalk" from 99.5 and the more powerful (or more nearby) transmitter will win... say the GoPro (or any 802.11b/g/n device) hanging on your Phantom is broadcasting in those frequencies, the signals from your remote control (which is farther away) won't be able to reach the Phantom because it can't "hear" the remote control over the device which is right there next to it's receiver.

So it doesn't matter what kind of device it is, if 802.11 B, G or N is enabled you will theoretically not be able to control your Phantom with the remote control once it gets a short distance away from you and the (any 802.11b/g/n) device is a more powerful signal to the phantom (because it's literally right there) than the remote in your hand tens or hundreds of meters away... that's why the dire warning: because once the device "overpowers" your remote you've lost control and have no way of getting it back... and also why it doesn't matter if it's a gopro, sony camera, or whatever.

The NFC feature on the Sony camera is just a quick and easy way to "pair" the devices automatically without needing much manual config... but after that it's still standard wifi in the "bad" frequency range.

hope that helps!

QYV said:
OI Photography said:
Exactly :) There's a port on the Phantom's main board inside that takes the feed from the Zenmuse, and then a 2nd port on the board where you can pipe the video (and power feed) to your transmitter.

Do you have a P2? If so, the video/power output cable from the board should already be present, a 4-strand cable with red/brown/yellow/brown wires.

indeed, P2 with Z-2D gimbal. I've got this GoPro FPV cable on the way along with all the other stuff and was hoping I wouldn't get it all and wind up needing an additional cable. Thanks very much for that info!

1. What FPV transmitter are you getting?

2. Do you have an iOSD in the mix?

Depending on those answers, there might be a pre-made cable available that will take care of it all for you easily. The one you already ordered won't help though when the gopro is in the Zenmuse

OI Photography said:

Depending on those answers, there might be a pre-made cable available that will take care of it all for you easily. The one you already ordered won't help though when the gopro is in the Zenmuse

oh really? shoot ok thanks for helping! base platform is Phantom 2 with Zenmuse Z3-2D
Boscam TS351 FPV transmitter 200mW
Boscam RX-LCD5802 5.8Ghz diversity receiver
these Rx antennas
this Tx antenna
and of course a bracket/neck strap.
Haven't picked up an iOSD yet although I probably will, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to install and I was hoping to avoid dealing with extra batteries/weight that's why I mentioned tapping into Phantom power for the Tx but I didn't want to add an iOSD yet for additional strain on the P2 battery. I also don't really have the tools to be soldering I live in a relatively small NYC apartment so I don't have a nice garage/workshop and all my tools from back home. I guess having an iOSD to monitor the battery might be prudent but at least for a while I'm just going to be doing short range, short flight time snagging little videos and whatever but not going long range... my buddies and I are also into performance cars so I'm hoping to be able to sit in a car (passenger of course) and fly the drone chasing cars around a track or whatever, so in that scenario I won't even be more than 100 meters from the drone at any given time, and even if I'm just shooting scenery I don't intend to go more than a couple hundred meters and will stay within LOS, no terrain/buildings and be extremely conservative with flight time... I got 3 batteries I'd rather land, swap out, go home and recharge than try to squeeze every last second out of every battery and risk a crash/loss. I intend to be very cautious with my multi-thousand dollar toy, at least at first!
any advice on pieces I've missed is much appreciated... I got that cable because I thought I needed to go straight from the gopro to the FPV Tx. If adding an iOSD would make it EASIER via some pre-made cabling though I'm down for that.

Ok, let me comment what I just did I bought everything for my 1st FPV for my Pahntom V1.1.1 today and this is what i got for $192.29

I will put the url for each:

- 7" Monitor with built-in 5.8Ghz receiver and Built-in Lipo Battery for 4 to 5 hrs viewing time ($88.85)
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/5-8g-7in...ttery-1s-3-7v-for-fpv-aerial-photography.html

- 5.8GHz Circular Polarized Antenna SMA Male For RC Transmitter/RX FPV FatSha PA#7 ($10.32)
http://r.ebay.com/xLDRxy

- New TS-351 5.8G 200mw AV Video fpv TX Transmitter TS351 ($25.12)
http://r.ebay.com/RdfC40

- Gopro Hero3 FPV USB to AV Video Output Cable Hero 3 90 Degree Connector USA ($6.99)
http://r.ebay.com/P4EOxa

-DJI Phantom Gopro 3 CNC Metal Brushless Camera Gimbal with Motors & Controller with Tilt Control ($61.01)
http://r.ebay.com/RtQOfm

As you can see less than $200 FPV Set.

I hope this is what this post was asking for.

Here is a very cheap FPV setup, you can get 1km+ range with this setup, its a nice start to FPV.
And if you use a directional antenna on the receiver you could go above 2km.

Boscam TS351: http://j.mp/1iwjZzR
Boscam TS353 400mw: http://j.mp/1gJ6t7s
Boscam receiver RC305 5.8Ghz: http://j.mp/1cRoJjy

RC305 + TS353 combo: http://j.mp/1iuhzQ6

Antennas (circular polarized)
cloverleaf antenna to rx: http://j.mp/1arIRFU
Cloverleaf antenna to tx: http://j.mp/1dG8kbW

7" LCD: http://j.mp/1d7kwsr
Boscam 7" RX-LCD5802 5.8GHz Diversity Receiver: http://j.mp/1lZuham

Just to show how well this setup works here is a video i found on youtube (4.6 km on minute 8:14), in the description is the setup used, and you can read RC305 and TS351, just like this setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pkYzuNXp_c

QYV said:
tubino said:
I wonder if the RX100 II wifi capability can be used.
The wifi isn't going to make it 500 ft + without a repeater, but... maybe ....

The advantage to using that capability is that you would have CAMERA control, not just FPV.

But no copter data. :(

I'm just tryin to help here, not be rude because it seems like you don't completely understand WHY it shouldn't be done, and being an IT geek I can offer insight because it doesn't have anything to do with GoPro specifically:
802.11 B, G and N wifi all use frequencies in the 2.4Ghz range. I believe that the remote control of the P2 operates in those same or very nearby frequencies, so it's like having FM radio transmitters on 99.7 and 99.5.. when you tune to 99.7 you're going to get "crosstalk" from 99.5 and the more powerful (or more nearby) transmitter will win... say the GoPro (or any 802.11b/g/n device) hanging on your Phantom is broadcasting in those frequencies, the signals from your remote control (which is farther away) won't be able to reach the Phantom because it can't "hear" the remote control over the device which is right there next to it's receiver.

So it doesn't matter what kind of device it is, if 802.11 B, G or N is enabled you will theoretically not be able to control your Phantom with the remote control once it gets a short distance away from you and the (any 802.11b/g/n) device is a more powerful signal to the phantom (because it's literally right there) than the remote in your hand tens or hundreds of meters away... that's why the dire warning: because once the device "overpowers" your remote you've lost control and have no way of getting it back... and also why it doesn't matter if it's a gopro, sony camera, or whatever.

The NFC feature on the Sony camera is just a quick and easy way to "pair" the devices automatically without needing much manual config... but after that it's still standard wifi in the "bad" frequency range.

hope that helps!

+1. I have had interference flying within 3 meters of my roof. Ive 3 routers and repeaters in my home. Ive had my P1 shake like heck and one near fly away.

hi there

first time in here and already amazed with information provided in this forum.

I have no experience with the RCs so I need some help with FPV on P2.
I was going to buy kumbacam kit but after some digging I found its not the most convenient solution out there. I found many people using Black pearl + immersionRC + mini iosd combo which I also would like to go for unless I hear something better.

I order P2 with zenmuse 3d and I will mainly use it to shoot wakeboarding videos and some city aerial shoots where I need max max max 1km range.

ultimately I have some question where i need your help.
1-does black pearl come with battery? if not where can I get a compatible battery?
2-how do I mount Black pearl to dji remote, where can I find the mount?
3-do I need to get clover leaf antennas for better reception, or the stock ones on blackpearl and immersionrc are good enough?
4- is there any online retailer where I can find all this stuff ? :)

thanks for the quick response.

tubino said:
This is a great thread for a newcomer to learn about the parts in an FPV system! Thanks! It seems no one mentions camera though. Everyone is using GoPro Hero? WiFi output from the camera is essential for this setup, yes? What I want is FPV *and* a high quality camera like the Sony RX100. I don't know if that is even possible.

Yes it is possible, and I've done it. But it's a long and winding road (and a costly journey too) as you will see here :)

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?t=10784

The problem is you need two systems, one for stills and one for video. Video is possible using an RX100 and a Phantom 2 but you're greatly restricted as to how you can use it because (1) changes of attitude can never be completely smooth and (2) the Sony's stabilisation is not 100% effective 100% of the time when flying. Therefore I will be using the RX100 and a Dronexpert platform for stills and a Zenmuse H3-3D plus GoPro 3+ Black (or even a Hero 4 should it appear shortly!) for video

A short video showing the RX100's limitations for cinematography when fixed to a Phantom can be seen here https://vimeo.com/91942779

Excluding the cost of the cameras and spare batteries, I'll have a swappable system that allows me to take great stills and also great video footage for 1,800 euros or £1,480 at today's exchange rate. It also enables me to stay below 2 kg which keeps me within the easier DGAC regulation for commercial use (DGAC is the French civil aviation authority)

QYV said:
OI Photography said:

oh really? shoot ok thanks for helping! base platform is Phantom 2 with Zenmuse Z3-2D
Boscam TS351 FPV transmitter 200mW
Boscam RX-LCD5802 5.8Ghz diversity receiver
these Rx antennas
this Tx antenna
and of course a bracket/neck strap.
Haven't picked up an iOSD yet although I probably will, but I'm not sure how hard it would be to install and I was hoping to avoid dealing with extra batteries/weight that's why I mentioned tapping into Phantom power for the Tx but I didn't want to add an iOSD yet for additional strain on the P2 battery. I also don't really have the tools to be soldering I live in a relatively small NYC apartment so I don't have a nice garage/workshop and all my tools from back home. I guess having an iOSD to monitor the battery might be prudent but at least for a while I'm just going to be doing short range, short flight time snagging little videos and whatever but not going long range... my buddies and I are also into performance cars so I'm hoping to be able to sit in a car (passenger of course) and fly the drone chasing cars around a track or whatever, so in that scenario I won't even be more than 100 meters from the drone at any given time, and even if I'm just shooting scenery I don't intend to go more than a couple hundred meters and will stay within LOS, no terrain/buildings and be extremely conservative with flight time... I got 3 batteries I'd rather land, swap out, go home and recharge than try to squeeze every last second out of every battery and risk a crash/loss. I intend to be very cautious with my multi-thousand dollar toy, at least at first!
any advice on pieces I've missed is much appreciated... I got that cable because I thought I needed to go straight from the gopro to the FPV Tx. If adding an iOSD would make it EASIER via some pre-made cabling though I'm down for that.

so OI Photog there made me concerned that I'm missing pieces for my FPV system (aside from an iOSD), anybody else with knowledge of the subject happen to know what he was referring to, cables or whatever that I've overlooked related to hooking my GoPro-Zenmuse setup to the Boscam Tx?

My FPV works great within ~150 meters as long as I have PERFECT line of sight. As SOON as the Phantom goes behind a building, I lose 95% of my FPV.
Is that normal? With the ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter, with the Black Pearl diversity monitor.

mysticalice said:
My FPV works great within ~150 meters as long as I have PERFECT line of sight. As SOON as the Phantom goes behind a building, I lose 95% of my FPV.
Is that normal? With the ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter, with the Black Pearl diversity monitor.

5.8ghz does not has good penetration on obstacles.

What options do I have? I'm trying to do a fly-around of a 120,000 sq ft building (about 35 feet high) in the middle of nowhere. As soon as the drone goes out of sight (other side of the building), I lose all video. I've got to believe there's a better way to do this - I've seen videos of people flying their drones 2km away to a cruise ship out at sea. What can I do?

mysticalice said:
What options do I have? I'm trying to do a fly-around of a 120,000 sq ft building (about 35 feet high) in the middle of nowhere. As soon as the drone goes out of sight (other side of the building), I lose all video. I've got to believe there's a better way to do this - I've seen videos of people flying their drones 2km away to a cruise ship out at sea. What can I do?

There's a big difference when someone is flying line of sight no obstacles over an ocean vs penetrating a 1200,00 sq ft building. Most videos are comprised of a couple hours of footage and splicing them together to get a 5 min video.

If you need a continuous shot then you probably have to get a higher vantage point.

Also tweak channel, antenna types, antenna placement. If you have a diversity receiver that switches between 2 antennas A&B... lock into one antenna when you tweak.

can you just stand on the roof somewhere to maintain LOS?

Can't say anything about a 120,000 sq ft building, but I have flown behind my two story house without much problem. The Phantom can't be quite down at ground level behind the house, but certainly down to 15 ft off the ground. Decent sized house. I'm in the front yard, the drone in the back yard. I have also gone out to at least 800meters at say 200meter altitude with a fair number of trees and houses in the neighborhood.

What I have found is antenna placement is hyper critical. I have my tx transmitter antenna pointing down between the landing gear. Too close to the gimbal or something and I lose range. Ther incredibly important thing is to make sure the fittings are tight on the antenna connections. This is hard to maintain with my FatShark Patch antenna as it likes to swivel around and loosen itself.

Before I pointed the tx antenna straight down, the reception seemed to be hyper sensitive to even a few leafless trees in the way. When everything is right and the connections are tight, I seem to get great results to 800m. Again, I am flying from a residential neighborhood with a fair number of trees and houses. I'm guessing I could get to 1500m maybe 2000m in the right setting.

My last two flights I did not have great range (200m or so). I brought in the Phantom to tweak a few things and noticed my tx antenna had fallen off!!! Dang!!! Hopefully I did not burn out my tx. It was on the Phantom when I took off, but I assume now that it was very loose which is why I got particularly bad reception.

- LIONDOG

Since losing my straight 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Whip Transmitter Antenna, I bought a replacement Bluebeam with the built in right angle. Got 1.4km range flying in my neighborhood. Incredible difference for my set up. The prior antenna was also pointing down by creatively mounting the tx on the side of the Phantom. ImmersonicRC 600w transmitter and Black Pearl diversity monitor/receiver. Without the trees and houses so close in my neighborhood, I am sure I could get out to close to 2km. Have ordered a Helical antenna for my receiver to see how that does. Tempted to upgrade to the Immersonic DUO receiver, but not sure I really need any more range than I am getting. Amazing the difference a little tweaking can do. When I first put my set up together I was getting 200m and the slightest twig would break up the signal. Thought the posters that were claiming 2km+ range were exaggerating a bit. Now that a few minor tweaks have greatly improved my range, I withdraw my skepticism.

Now I am getting more worried about being able to recover the Phantom if it goes down 1km+ km away. Will be a little more careful what I fly over. Would hate to have to knock through a bunch of private property to recover my quad. In some cases it would be hard to determine land owners. I will be sure to refer to it as a toy RC quad copter if I do have to start knocking on doors. "Drone" seems so much more unfriendly.

- LIONDOG

LIONDOG said:
Since losing my straight 5.8 GHz Bluebeam Whip Transmitter Antenna, I bought a replacement Bluebeam with the built in right angle. Got 1.4km range flying in my neighborhood. Incredible difference for my set up. The prior antenna was also pointing down by creatively mounting the tx on the side of the Phantom. ImmersonicRC 600w transmitter and Black Pearl diversity monitor/receiver. Without the trees and houses so close in my neighborhood, I am sure I could get out to close to 2km. Have ordered a Helical antenna for my receiver to see how that does. Tempted to upgrade to the Immersonic DUO receiver, but not sure I really need any more range than I am getting. Amazing the difference a little tweaking can do. When I first put my set up together I was getting 200m and the slightest twig would break up the signal. Thought the posters that were claiming 2km+ range were exaggerating a bit. Now that a few minor tweaks have greatly improved my range, I withdraw my skepticism.

Now I am getting more worried about being able to recover the Phantom if it goes down 1km+ km away. Will be a little more careful what I fly over. Would hate to have to knock through a bunch of private property to recover my quad. In some cases it would be hard to determine land owners. I will be sure to refer to it as a toy RC quad copter if I do have to start knocking on doors. "Drone" seems so much more unfriendly.

- LIONDOG

Have you thought about using the tp antenna mod (8db gain) to your transmitter for better range and better signal for the dji controller?

mr.goodkat said:
hi there

I was going to buy kumbacam kit but after some digging I found its not the most convenient solution out there. I found many people using Black pearl + immersionRC + mini iosd combo which I also would like to go for unless I hear something better.

I order P2 with zenmuse 3d and I will mainly use it to shoot wakeboarding videos and some city aerial shoots where I need max max max 1km range.

1-does black pearl come with battery? if not where can I get a compatible battery?
3-do I need to get clover leaf antennas for better reception, or the stock ones on blackpearl and immersionrc are good enough?

1. Yes it comes with a battery. You may also buy a spare one:
http://www.rangevideo.com/en/lcd-screen ... 15hrs.html

2. There are plenty of mounts around but I like the one from Ravecreative. Looks neat and works well with most 7'' monitors incl. black pearl.
http://uav.ravecreative.co.uk/

3. I think most will change out the antennas for better ones (omni/ directional), depending on what you are comfortable with. Usually, newbies stick to omni-directional first.

That's about as much as I can help. I'm a newbie too :) Hope someone can shed more light on Question 3!

highry said:
mr.goodkat said:
hi there

1. Yes it comes with a battery. You may also buy a spare one:
http://www.rangevideo.com/en/lcd-screen ... 15hrs.html

2. There are plenty of mounts around but I like the one from Ravecreative. Looks neat and works well with most 7'' monitors incl. black pearl.
http://uav.ravecreative.co.uk/

3. I think most will change out the antennas for better ones (omni/ directional), depending on what you are comfortable with. Usually, newbies stick to omni-directional first.

That's about as much as I can help. I'm a newbie too :) Hope someone can shed more light on Question 3!

yep. honestly if you are in UK get from http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce.com Their blackhawk Micro for the receive and a clover for the tx from them.

If i were in the US i would buy from fpvlr.com a helical and RHCP 5.8 GHZ tx Pinwheel 90° SMA.

Feel free to email them both. they are great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20