Long Distance record for P4P

I feel like dirtybum is going to annihilate the record...that's if he gets one.

Seems odd nobody has flown out a couple miles yet. Maybe it won't go that far.
Given that the P4P has only been in our hands a few days maybe not surprising that no one has wanted to risk sending our expensive and long-awaited babies several miles out of sight. Give it some time for someone to get up the guts :)

Just 1.4km in range, my friend's mavic pro and my previous p4, p3a has at least 3 or 4km in range, what can I say for my p4p......

See, I'm telling you all that this P4P is compromised in the range dept. : (((( Why they chose to save money and move away from the Occusync is beyond me.....Dumb move for a smart company. PS, I got a mile out before a loss of signal. Flew the same route with my Mavic Pro and 5 solid bard where the P4P dropped out. Same identical route. usually, 5.8 doesn't have the range capacity as 2.4 does. 2.4 (think wifi in your home) has a greater range than 5.8ghz. 5.8 is only good for carrying more data thus a cleaner/ clearer video feed within 300M or so. The range is similar to my Phantom 3's range. And theres no F.W. fix for this.....How a company splits from the newer Occusync (especially when Occusync gives the ability for wireless goggles) to an older less reliable transmission signal is beyond me. Who makes these dumb decisions at DJI???

Last edited:
Reactions: OOO and Kman
It's possible, just possible, that you do not have access to the same engineering data as DJI when they make their decisions.

Reactions: Pharm
Whats that supposed to mean??? My own data and now others show a marked DECREASE in flight range. If one tech. is superior to the other and you choose NOT to use it, especially in a craft double and triple the cost, your what we call in English......STUPID.

Reactions: Lucaxel
How can a company split from the newer Occusync (especially when Occusync gives the ability for wireless goggles) to an older less reliable transmission signal is beyond me.
This is a good question, but we haven't seen the goggles yet. They might have a P4P mode, or an HDMI port. We just don't know yet. What seems to be happening is my worst fear. A great camera in the P4P but poor range. I wonder if an inspire 2 controller would help, like it does with P4, using Inspire one controller

Last edited:
Reactions: alokbhargava
See, I'm telling you all that this P4P is compromised in the range dept. : (((( Why they chose to save money and move away from the Occusync is beyond me.....Dumb move for a smart company. PS, I got a mile out before a loss of signal. Flew the same route with my Mavic Pro and 5 solid bard where the P4P dropped out. Same identical route. usually, 5.8 doesn't have the range capacity as 2.4 does. 2.4 (think wifi in your home) has a greater range than 5.8ghz. 5.8 is only good for carrying more data thus a cleaner/ clearer video feed within 300M or so. The range is similar to my Phantom 3's range. And theres no F.W. fix for this.....How a company splits from the newer Occusync (especially when Occusync gives the ability for wireless goggles) to an older less reliable transmission signal is beyond me. Who makes these dumb decisions at DJI???

DJI has created a room to introduce P5 :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

At the rate DJI is blowing these quads out, it wont be long before we see a P5 with optical sensors all the way around and occusync. This IR side sensor thing is a waste. Should have put optical sensors all the way around IMO. Side sensors are just as important as front and back IMO. The kicker is that the new Inspire 2 (canceled my order) has the same weak transmission setup as the P4P! Unless they made the TX more powerful.......My guess is that they traded distance for TX image quality as 5.8 has better data transfer. On a 5.5 inch screen its dumb thinking.

This was on youtube.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was at 1100m on 5.4GHz before yesterday afternoon, and the aircraft disconnect with 17 satellites..
I then turned over to 2.4GHz, was able to get the 1100m
This morning I was on 2.4GHz got 700m and the aircraft disconnected with 16 satellites
This afternoon I was at 350m on 2.4GHz and 15 satellites and aircraft disconnected..

All 3 flights were over water, in very remote towns, and the last (were it disconnect at 350m) was up a river, where there are no houses whatsoever..

Very very different to the 7km (I believe) that DJI are advertising...I would expect longer ranges in the middle of high rise buildings, in the city, yet all of my flights where in very remote areas, with minimal houses/interference.

A little disappointed..

Can anyone give me any tech on what "Occusync" actually is???
It's basically just a modification to lightbridge that allows frames to be dropped and or details to be lessened in order to keep a very high response rate, since one of the things the Mavic is supposed to do is FPV. FPV requires a much faster response rate, so basically it's mostly just marketing hype term about an image signal that is optimized for FPV. The mavic is the only thing that has ocusync since it's the only DJI drone at this point that has FPV as one of its intended uses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.