Long Distance record for P4P

So far I've been out about 12,000 feet on my P4P, didn't push further cuz I was getting a lot of wind warnings and the drone seemed like it was getting pushed around a lot. My P4 in the same flight path/area never got farther than about 11,000 feet. I plan to go farther on my P4P another day when it's not so windy.

It's basically just a modification to lightbridge that allows frames to be dropped and or details to be lessened in order to keep a very high response rate, since one of the things the Mavic is supposed to do is FPV. FPV requires a much faster response rate, so basically it's mostly just marketing hype term about an image signal that is optimized for FPV. The mavic is the only thing that has ocusync since it's the only DJI drone at this point that has FPV as one of its intended uses.
I think your explanation is conjecture, based on few facts. Nobody other than DJI really knows what Ocu-sync is. We do know the distance performance is better than P4P, and the craft can be controlled without an RC, using only a phone, good for very short distances, primary for quick selfies we assume. FPV is supported by any drone that has a camera, viewable with a smart device at the controller.

I think your explanation is conjecture, based on few facts. Nobody other than DJI really knows what Ocu-sync is. We do know the distance performance is better than P4P, and the craft can be controlled without an RC, using only a phone, good for very short distances, primary for quick selfies we assume. FPV is supported by any drone that has a camera, viewable with a smart device at the controller.

I went 10,000+ ft but lost signal because I I went behind building on the waterfront

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thank you. I could smell the marketing hype from here in Australia. Really appreciate your response.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It's not conjecture, a DJI rep has mentioned this on the DJI forum and RCG, I'm simply repeating it.

Although I don't plan to fly this far normally I did test out to 10,082 feet without incident. Of course, this was in the wilderness and away from most interference sources and I would certainly not try this in a more built up area. Still, it's good to know you can. The furthest I tried with my Inspire 1 Pro was 9152 feet, also in a remote area and away from interference's and people.

Brian

It's not conjecture, a DJI rep has mentioned this on the DJI forum and RCG, I'm simply repeating it.
Sorry for the hammer, but the things you were repeating just didn't sound right for a selfie drone. It's difficult to believe they design Ocu-Sync to be "latency sensitive", since it's not meant to be a racer. And when you say "FPV", like that's something special, that didn't make sense, because P3 and P4 support FPV through an iPad, and also goggles through the HDMI option. FPV isn't special, so what you are repeating, like FPV was special, just didn't make sense. However, other parts of what you repeated is an interesting datapoint. If that's really the case I wonder what their goal is for latency times. I'll have to measure the latency when mine arrives. If it's 180ms or slower, that's nothing special, as the P3P would do that. I'll also ask DJI about this at CES in 2wks.

1 year ago DJI claimed their Lightbridge 2 support down to 50ms latency, but unfortunately P4P nor the Inspire 2 has Lightbridge 2 incorporated. They must have had some technical problems, or cost problems to roll out Lightbridge 2 into their RTF drone fleet, which is disappointing. Maybe P5 will have something better.

I'm disappointed what I'm hearing about P4P range, having the same range as P4, which in stock form is anemic IMO. That's consensus I'm hearing, but the reviews are mixed, and I'm still considering a P4P. However, I order a Mavic as my new toy. It's getting really good reviews on range. I'm very attracted to the new P4P camera, and I intended to buy one for Christmas, but the range reports changed my mind. I think I'll wait for more reports since I'm getting mixed reviews. I'm hoping the P5 will be a true advancement to Lightbridge, instead of the step backward the P4 took. You can't believe DJI's propaganda claims anymore. P3P claimed 3mi, and the original version P3P would do 3mi with a windsurfer, and that's SWEET! P4 won't do 1 mile with windsurfer very reliably, far from their claim of 3mi. Yes, in super rural areas you might get 3mi, but its not as good as the original P3P for signal integrity, far from it. They simply detuned it for some reason. However, using an Inspire 1 RC my P4 will do 3mi with Windsurfer most anywhere I fly (hills and oceans, away from civilization), which is all I expect.

Last edited:
Reactions: hotashes
If you look hard enough for something, you'll find it (or not find it). There are threads of people getting 3000' on mavic at best. It appears you have chosen to only accept the range reports of the p4p that are bad and only the mavic reports that are good. So be it. :)

As for lightbridge 2 both the p4p and inspire use what a DJI rep calls lightbridge 2.5. RC Groups - View Single Post - Official Phantom 4 PRO ***Owner's Thread***

Range is not a fixed thing ... in urban areas with a lot of wifi and cellular noise you may not get very far whereas in more remote areas you more likely to get better range. Also, if you have trees in the way that will negatively impact range as will buildings or hills that get between the bird and the RC. But, if you stand at the edge of high ground with nothing but open land below then you will tend to get greater range. Too many variables to make any evaluation on the basis of a small sample size.

Brian

Reactions: Meta4
Over 22,000 ft out in a major urban area. Perfect signal. Turned around because of battery life but realized after I landed I could have gone further.

But this goes much further than lightbridge 2.

That's funny, Lightbridge 2.5?

That would imply it's better than Lightbridge 2.

The LB2 spec is 50ms latency and 1080 monitor resolution, all the time.

The so called LB2.5 spec is 180ms latency and 720/1080 monitor resolutions.

That's funny, Lightbridge 2.5?

That would imply it's better than Lightbridge 2.

The LB2 spec is 50ms latency and 1080 monitor resolution, all the time.

The so called LB2.5 spec is 180ms latency and 720/1080 monitor resolutions.

But this goes much further than lightbridge 2.
Well I wouldn't know the reality on LB2 range because I've never seen it fly. History tells us that DJI specs aren't always accurate on range.

History tells us that DJI specs aren't always accurate on range.
What it really shows is that different users in different environments experience different ranges.
I haven't pushed the P4pro to the limit but DJI's range specs for previous models have been quite accurate.
DJI even increased the spec range for the P3 series to better match what users were getting. Their original specs understated the range significantly.

18000 ft plus. Like someone else I turned back cause of fear of battery life. I had 70% when I turned around but I kept getting high wind warnings and didn't want any trouble coming back. Had at least 75% signal strength when I turned back. Very impressed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4