Log help - squirrelly gimbal on Litchi WP flight

Reaction score
Flew a Litchi waypoint mission this morning. No wind. When I got out to my POI, the gimbal was supposed to pitch down to about a max of 60° and track the POI. But it just stayed basically straight ahead and shook in a very jitter fashion up and down between 0° and -1°. I think I tried to manually gimbal it down a couple times for a couple seconds. I think it responded somewhat but stayed jittery and returned to horizontal when the wheel was let up. It continued to shake and then smoothed out.

Around when this started, I noticed in the video so exaggerated AC pitch down (saw the arms come into view once or twice. It makes me think I may have hit some turbulence coming over the mountain. But why would this affect the gimbal like that?

I performed a basic look at the log with the phantomhelp log viewer but saw nothing indicative. Maybe the experts can look deeper? I’d appreciate it.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Here is a short video of it happening.

It makes me think I may have hit some turbulence coming over the mountain. But why would this affect the gimbal like that?
I tend to agree. The aircraft was pitching up/Down and Rolling Left/Right. The gimbal was attempting to correct for the angle differences.

1574436715558.png

I tend to agree. The aircraft was pitching up/Down and Rolling Left/Right. The gimbal was attempting to correct for the angle differences.

View attachment 115704
Thanks much for looking into it and giving me your assessment.

It’s a real lesson seeing in practice what we learn in 107 study. Be careful close to mountains or cliffs. I tell ya, I made sure I picked a day with zero wind. And checked multiple sources to verify. For sure I wanted no headwind on the way back so I made extra sure. But get near that mountain and, boy, that seemed pretty violent.

Reactions: RodPad
@bsartist Just out of curiosity, I took a closer look at the turbulant spots in this flight. Surprisingly enough, they began and ended very close to the same area. Ingoing and outgoing. That would suggest where the turbulance was.

Gimbal Jumps_1.PNG

@bsartist Just out of curiosity, I took a closer look at the turbulant spots in this flight. Surprisingly enough, they began and ended very close to the same area. Ingoing and outgoing. That would suggest where the turbulance was.

View attachment 115712
Interesting. Further from the face of the mountain than I thought. But I suspect the turbulence from wind coming over the mountain/cliff can reach out pretty far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj