Loctite reacts with phantom shell

I've built a dozen phantoms and changed a couple dozen motors etc. and I do not use Loctite because of a bad experience early on.on those many repairs and rebuilds I've not once notice the screw falling out or really even becoming loose so just stay away from the Loctite it's not worth it

Reactions: N017RW
If the Loctite did not get on the plastic you are good to go.

Please forgive my ignorance but, don't the screws screw into the plastic part of the body? I'm confused. If I put locktite on the screw and drive it in, isn't it going into plastic? If so, which locktite should I use? I appreciate the help from the experienced people here.

The screws screw into metal brackets that are affixed to the top of the plastic shell on the inside so no they actually go into metal. In my opinion and experience there is no reason to use Loctite and if you do get Loctite on the plastic it will deteriorate

The screws screw into metal brackets that are affixed to the top of the plastic shell on the inside so no they actually go into metal. In my opinion and experience there is no reason to use Loctite and if you do get Loctite on the plastic it will deteriorate

Thanks for the info. I thought they went directly into the plastic shell. What do you think about the locktite for plastics? Or just don't use anything? When I removed the screws to install the prop guards the screws had locktite on them. Thats Why I thought I needed it?

Wish I had read this post 2 days ago. I used it on one screw at the tip. It ate the plastic. No real harm done. Just looks bad

Probably already been answered but you can NOT use Lok-tite on plastic! It disentegrates the plastic exactly as you have described. It is ONLY for metal-to-metal surfaces and, if there is plastic sandwiched between, I don't recommend it. Instead, look on Amazon for "Threadlocker for Plastic." It will accomplish the same goal of locking your threads without ruining the plastic components.

Your shell is likely ruined & will need to be replaced. If its ONLY the lower shell you may be able to avoid reshelling by picking up a set of UAV-bits' Phantom Reinforcement Plates. If you have even the slightest doubt that the Lok-tite came in contact with the upper shell then I would just reshell to be safe. Another alternative to reshelling would be the UAV-bit reinforcement plates coupled with taping the shell seams. You could use white or clear tape to reduce the appearance factor.
I may have messed up. When I added UAV-bits reinforcements plate I did use Lok-tite. Am I at risk? Do I need to re shell the drone? And how hard a job is that to do?

This weekend I set aside to do a motor swap on my p3p. Finished up Saturday night and went out for a test flight the following morning. After arming and lifting off there was a really bad vibration. Upon landing and inspection of the motors I noticed the motor pods/mounts where really cracked. The shell had not had these cracks the night before after my install. I pulled the shell apart and removed the motors and the plastic disinagrated in my hands. I was careful to use the loctite sparingly by some did get on the plastic. I'm now wondering if dji will warranty the shell or not because I was installing after market parts.

The damage to the plastic occurs very quickly. It becomes brittle & crumbles. You may want to carefully remove the guards & examine the plastic for signs of damage. Metal to metal between the screws & metal mounting bosses is fine. If it contacted the plastic it should be obvious.

Just last week.

Last edited:
Today, I noticed in the DJI prop guard instruction sheet how it mentions not to use threadlocker, but they left out the part about eating plastic, Sorry for you loss.

IMG_0010.jpg

I may have messed up. When I added UAV-bits reinforcements plate I did use Lok-tite. Am I at risk? Do I need to re shell the drone? And how hard a job is that to do?

Look for any signs of blueish coloring to the DJI plastic. The damage occurs within the first 24 hours. Nail polish works great as a thread lock.

The damage to the plastic occurs very quickly. It becomes brittle & crumbles. You may want to carefully remove the guards & examine the plastic for signs of damage. Metal to metal between the screws & metal mounting bosses is fine. If it contacted the plastic it should be obvious.
Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20