Litchi waypoints gimbal won't focus on the POI

The best way around this is to look at the camera angles on the waypoints in your mission after setting POI'S and then set your gimbal angle to the average degree.
Manually setting the camera angle at each waypoint didn't work for me (when set to interpolate). I have to set an action at each waypoint that tilts the gimbal to a certain degree if I want it to work reliably when it's out of range. Is this how you do it too, or is there an easier way?

tclark, are you out of range when you're experiencing the non-action at waypoints? that would answer why your specified actions aren't happening.

Yep, I'm typically always out of range during a mission. So it sounds like setting actions at each waypoint is the only way to go. Do you guys agree with that?

Yep, I'm typically always out of range during a mission. So it sounds like setting actions at each waypoint is the only way to go. Do you guys agree with that?

mine will not obey actions at waypoints in or out of range.

so if you refer back to post #10, I state that waypoint actions may not happen (gimbal pitch, focus POI) if you're out of range. what lbmftw suggests on post #11 is a work around...I've not tried it personally. whenever I've found myself out of range, my gimbal pitch gets stuck in whatever angle it was pointing to when my signal drops. it will still yaw and point like you're experiencing but there is no control of the gimbal.

the only conclusion I can make is that the aircraft will store the commands for yaw, GPS coordinates and speed but not gimbal actions.

I can this evening! I want to do another mission so i will post up the mission and my results.

so if you refer back to post #10, I state that waypoint actions may not happen (gimbal pitch, focus POI) if you're out of range. what lbmftw suggests on post #11 is a work around...I've not tried it personally. whenever I've found myself out of range, my gimbal pitch gets stuck in whatever angle it was pointing to when my signal drops. it will still yaw and point like you're experiencing but there is no control of the gimbal.

the only conclusion I can make is that the aircraft will store the commands for yaw, GPS coordinates and speed but not gimbal actions.
When you say actions do not execute when out of range I presume you mean only gimbal pitch control. This is because of a limitation in the DJI SDK (third party development platform), at the moment it is impossible, Litchi's development team have said this. I imagine with a SDK update and possible FW update this could be possible. As you mentioned my post #11 is a work around, set the mission to focus POI flick through your waypoints and look at the gimble pitches and then set the gimble to a good average pitch either by setting a POI to focus on whilst still in range (at the start of the mission) or setting it manually at one of the in radio range waypoints. If needed I. E. one POI asks for the gimble pitch to be extremely different than the average for the mission just adjust that section of the flight path to make that POI requested pitch average with the others.

Reactions: PhantomPlanet
yup. I think we're on the same page, lbm. it would be fantastic if they can get gimbal pitch adjustments to work while out of range. it would give the aircrafts so much more value, especially the P3S and P34K that don't have the range of lightbridge.

[/QUOTE]
I am having the same problem as you have. Was curious whether you found some solutions ? some posts here are unfortunately erroneous or inaccurate. I think it has to do with the Mission Settings menu... but not too many people seem to pay attention to the different possibility this menu offers and its settings may be the reason why the camera gimbal does not tilt down near POI.

I tend to conclude the same... have tried different scenario in and out of range.

I have found this same issue. What I do as a work around. Go to every waypoint click "focus poi" then click "interpolate" and this will set every waypoint and you will have a smooth transition between poi's. Hope this helps.

I'm following up on my post from page 1.
Yes I was out of range when I experienced the issue of the camera not focusing on the POI in my mission.
I had set "Focus POI" and it was a curved path.
Some of these comments seem to conflict.
Can someone verify if it didn't focus on the POI because it was out of range or because I had a curved path?
If I set a straight path and go out of range, will Focus POI work? Will Interpolate work? Will setting an action to tilt the camera work?

Reactions: maseman88
I'm following up on my post from page 1.
Yes I was out of range when I experienced the issue of the camera not focusing on the POI in my mission.
I had set "Focus POI" and it was a curved path.
Some of these comments seem to conflict.
Can someone verify if it didn't focus on the POI because it was out of range or because I had a curved path?
If I set a straight path and go out of range, will Focus POI work? Will Interpolate work? Will setting an action to tilt the camera work?
Gimbal pitch will not focus on a POI when outside of radio range. Aircraft YAW will. You can make the gimbal pitch transition from degree "x" to degree "x" from waypoint "x" to waypoint "x", although the YAW will turn to focus on POI the pitch is just doing what you told it to do I.E. transition from 62 degrees to 45 degrees between waypoint 5 and waypoint 6. This is achieved by setting your mission settings to "interpolate".
With careful placements of your Waypoints in regard to POI'S, I.E. very little variance in pitch adujustments between Waypoints, continously, or for example setting 2 extra way points either side of every POI

So instead of
W1--POI1---W2

We change it to
W1--W2--POI1--W3--W4

We can make sure we get a good view of POI1,further explanation below.

Now take this example.
W1-POI1-W2-POI2-W3

Let's say the POI'S are not exactly centered between Waypoints in the above example and that Waypoints are set to focus POI. Now let's say W1 decided that to focus on POI1 you need a gimbal pitch degree of 10 but W2 has focused on POI2 and for that the gimbal pitch would need to be 90 degrees, what will now happen is that the gimbal will transition from W1 (10 degrees) to W2 (90 degrees)
So we might get a very quick shot of POI1 whilst at W1 (10 degrees) then the pitch will start changing drastically to meet the 90 degrees set by W2 along with the YAW also changing since W2 has focused to POI2.

We can remedy this by using the following example.

W1--W2--POI1--W3--W4---POI2

Now it does not matter which POI W4 has focused on for YAW (heading) or gimbal pitch because we are adding 2 extra Waypoints per POI in this case W2 and W3 so as long as they are focused on POI1 (and that's why we added them), we are certain we will get the shot, in essence POI2 is no longer effecting W3 pitch or heading. The other way and perhaps easier although not as functional is to adjust your flight path so that all POI'S need a similar gimbal pitch from certain waypoints and then just setting your gimbal pitch to a good average pitch for the mission.

Last edited:
I set my first extended Litchi mission today. I lost RC contact very quickly which is odd because I have flown roughly the same area without problems manually. I pooped myself and just waited for the screen to flicker back to life. 7 minutes it was disconnected! I was dying. Finally my trusty little P4 resumed comms and came home to me. So relieved. All the actions set in Litchi were executed perfectly in spite of this unexpected disconnection.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow....so Litchi will continue on even after you have lost the video feed then...it still must maintain contact with the controller though...correct? New to this and thinking about buying Litchi for my new P4 ;-)

No, it has the mission uploaded directly so can fly with no direct comms from the controller. I knew about this, but putting it into practise was pretty scary. I guess it uses GPS to fly the course. The P4 completed the mission perfectly and flew back to my designated homepoint, hovering at 60m as set. Comms resumed as soon as the RC could pick up the P4 again. I've flown maybe a dozen Litchi missions now and it is fabulous. My first few were in a wide open space in case of any problems, but it is bulletproof. After my recent scare, I'm even more confident in its abilities. Just make sure you have set your altitudes correctly to avoid any mishaps and go experiment. It really is amazing to watch your little quad go off and fly the exact course you plotted earlier on your iPad or computer. Then you start setting POI's and so on and watch the P4 capture amazing video completely autonomously. It brings another dimension to flying and shooting video. I think it is a steal at the price too. Register your account and then you can upload your missions to any device - brilliant. Good luck and enjoy.

Wow....so Litchi will continue on even after you have lost the video feed then...it still must maintain contact with the controller though...correct? New to this and thinking about buying Litchi for my new P4 ;-)
No, Litchi missions need no contact with the controller, after the mission is uploaded you can turn the RC off if you wish.

I like the "W1--W2--POI1--W3--W4---POI2" scenario proposed by lbmftw. Will try it out in the next days.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl